Willie G.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Willie G.

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:59 pm

From clevelandbrowns.com.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger
By Zac Jackson
This report filed June 11, 2003

The bad news for the AFC North Division is this: William Green looks set to pick up where he left off at the end of last season.

Green has been impressive in the Browns’ minicamp this week, looking especially quick while turning the corner and comfortable catching passes out of the backfield.

“The running backs have spent a lot of time catching passes from the jugs machine and working with the quarterbacks,” Browns Head Coach Butch Davis said. “William is definitely catching the ball better.”

With the Browns’ quarterback situation grabbing a bulk of the media attention and fellow running backs Jamel White, James Jackson and Lee Suggs making headlines with contract and injury matters, Green has been in a place he likes: out of the spotlight.

But if the end of 2002 is any indication, Green won’t be a forgotten man for long.

Green finished last season with a team-high 887 rushing yards and six touchdowns. He rushed for 726 yards over the final seven games, and capped off the season by rushing for a career-high 178 yards and two touchdowns in the Browns’ playoff-clinching win over Atlanta. Most importantly, Cleveland was 6-3 with Green in the starting lineup, 4-0 when he rushed for more than 95 yards, and 5-0 when he scored a touchdown.

And the best appears to be yet to come.

“He looks a lot quicker,” Davis said. “You see speed and explosion. He’s another guy that’s benefited from being here in the offseason.”
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:48 am

Bigger, Faster, Stronger

Read that part and couldnt stop thinking about the Bionic man ! :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Enoch » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:08 am

Homeless wrote:
Bigger, Faster, Stronger

Read that part and couldnt stop thinking about the Bionic man ! :-)

More like the Bionic woman :-)
Enoch
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:44 am

Or... 'The Hulk' (coming to a theatre near you, real soon.)
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:04 am

keep yukking it up boys! the browns are back and we're gonna tear through that silly division!!! hehehe :-B
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Roseman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:28 pm

Slowkidz wrote:keep yukking it up boys! the browns are back and we're gonna tear through that silly division!!! hehehe :-B

Your Offense looks good if you can decide on a QB and you can develop an Offensive line and if you can get consistent play from your WRs

It is just the D that has the problems.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:48 pm

Roseman wrote:
Slowkidz wrote:keep yukking it up boys! the browns are back and we're gonna tear through that silly division!!! hehehe :-B

Your Offense looks good if you can decide on a QB and you can develop an Offensive line and if you can get consistent play from your WRs

It is just the D that has the problems.

as much as i hate to say it...either qb will work out well...personally i like kelly, but not my call....the o-line is more consistent than ever and faine is bringing about a new attitude that will shock a lot of people...the WRs are more than consistent, just not in the FF world...lineup the 4 or them with willie on the scene and we'll see who stops them...even GP has to agree with that.

the defense...well...lets just hope everyone underestimates them this year...cuz that will be the biggest surprise of them all...hehehe
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby NFLknowitall » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:29 pm

William Green WILL BE the featured back. He started horribly last season despite being a 2002 first-round pick. In fact, many fantasy owners dropped him early last season when he only had rushed for 161 yards through the first nine weeks, losing carries to Jamel White and that is when I grabbed him in my league and now he is one of my 3 keepers. Willie Green improved and became fantasy's seventh-most productive back in the final seven weeks, rushing for 726 yards and five scores. During that stretch, Green averaged a hefty 24.6 carries and that bodes well for 2003. Significantly, his stats project to an impressive 1,659 yards and 11 touchdowns over 16 games based on his last 7 games of 2002. Only three backs, Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams and LaDainian Tomlinson, rushed for more last season. Grab him as the sleeper No. 2 runner with a solid chance that he'll be a top 10 back, you will be smiling by mid-season.

BTW - I have Street & Smith's Pre Season Mag. and uner "Project Starters" for the Browns they put Kelley Holcomb. That great stuff, they had the guts to call it as they see it. They did a good job this year on their Mag.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk