Drafting last... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting last...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting last...

Postby dudeola » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:33 pm

I am going to be picking 12th out of 12 in my league and I'm looking for any advice I can get. When I first learned I was 12th, I was set to draft two running backs and then two recievers with my 3rd and 4th round picks and then a QB. But now I may draft a RB first and then a good WR with my 2nd round (13th overall) and then repeat that in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I've even considered taking Tony Gonzales with my 4th if he's still available. I've pretty much decided on drafting a QB later. Tell me what you think...
dudeola

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby NegauneeMiners3-peat » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:03 am

From my experience, there is no reason to draft a QB in the first rounds. I typically don't pick a QB until round 9 or 10 and even then my best QB's come from free agency. It's a deep position that I prefer to play week by week based on match-ups unless someone is really hot. Last year I won my league with starting someone different almost every week. Build up the more consistent positions first and then worry about QB's later.

The first pick of round four may be a little high for Gonzo considering his numbers were down last year, but I still might take it because he has great pre-season trade value. A lot of people gets nervous right after the draft because they don't have a strong TE (of course they don't, only two or three can at that position) and will trade more than he's worth. Maybe you could pick up a strong #2 RB if someone panics like this. I've seen it. I almost always draft Gonzo, but he's usually never in my week one starting line-up.
Hoo Ha Negaunee!!!
"If things get too much for you and you feel the whole world's against you, go stand on your head. If you can think of anything crazier to do, do it."- Harpo Marx
NegauneeMiners3-peat
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Location: Down a mineshaft somewhere with a stupid little light on my hat

Postby Endzone Express » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:56 am

If you don't get bonus points for receptions... I'd go with plan A and pick RB's back-to-back with picks 1 & 2 and select WR's with picks 3 & 4... if you can get a top 3 TE when you pick in round 5 or 6 that sounds OK, or else I would take the best available RB or WR and your #1 QB.
[img][/img]

It is a special time and a special place... where young men go in search of fame... each sharing a common goal: To Win A National Championship!

There is NO PLACE like NEBRASKA!
Endzone Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:09 am

hmm...i would prolly grab two RBs first and then two WRs in 3rd/4th...You can still get a solid TE/QB in 5th/6th spots, but as of the 5th rnd I would start looking at the best available players on the board.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:45 am

Slowkidz wrote:hmm...i would prolly grab two RBs first and then two WRs in 3rd/4th...You can still get a solid TE/QB in 5th/6th spots, but as of the 5th rnd I would start looking at the best available players on the board.

He may ride the shortbus but he is correct here ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby GreenBay4Life » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:59 am

Go with the 2 rbs unless top rbs such as duece,potris,priest,etc. are gone bc there is a run on backs. then u should look to go for a vick type player who has passing as well as running ability. i like the 2 rbs 1qb 1wr format. i think wr are overated bc there are so many of them and once u get past the first 3 they all pretty much do the same.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tripletman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:09 pm

I personally would go with the 2 RB's, with the possible exception being if harrison is still around.
tripletman
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:11 pm

If LT, Ricky, Portis, Alexander, Deuce, Faulk, and Alexander are gone, and Owens or Harrison are not, I'd take the best RB available and either Owens/Harrison.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Roseman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:34 pm

9er Fan wrote:If LT, Ricky, Portis, Alexander, Deuce, Faulk, and Alexander are gone, and Owens or Harrison are not, I'd take the best RB available and either Owens/Harrison.

I would normally say go for the two Rbs back to back but I like 9ers idea better
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby joester » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:48 pm

I agree got with the top RB available and Owens or Harrison.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk