Am I crazy for wanting Portis over Williams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Am I crazy for wanting Portis over Williams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:40 am

you guys are crazy....Portis will not be that good,,,he will be good just not Ricky good
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby vasco75 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:23 am

Here's the way I see it...

Ricky accounted for 55% of the total Miami offense last year. All trends lean to more of the same this year.

While Portis is truly an exceptional talent, there are other offensive options that the Broncos can go with. You know that Jake loves to throw and scramble. Mix in the fact that they have a very solid WR in Rod Smith and an upcoming star in Lelie.

If you play the "how involved are they in the team's offense" card, I think you have to go with Ricky...
vasco75
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby t-love » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:44 am

Plummer is gonna stink it up. He does like to dump it off to the Rb though. You gotta go with Ricky though.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Postby thee all » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:15 pm

There you go. Definately take RW over Portis. You can't always go by a huge rookie season...just look at the A-Train...
What happened to him? Haha
When the player hits the dirt there's no sound quite like
The way the linebacker slams him to the turf monday night
thee all
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Poobah » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:47 pm

Here's an idea: find out who the #3 guy wants, and if it's not Portis, enter into discussions with the guy who picks #4. Chances are he'll be interested in picking Williams if ya'll are sure he'll fall to #2. Get an extra mid-round pick, take Portis at #4, and eliminate the guesswork. Of course, if Williams and Portis go #2 and #3 then you are screwed. But that's why they call it gambling...

:-]
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Endzone Express » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:47 pm

Poobah wrote:Here's an idea: find out who the #3 guy wants, and if it's not Portis, enter into discussions with the guy who picks #4. Chances are he'll be interested in picking Williams if ya'll are sure he'll fall to #2. Get an extra mid-round pick, take Portis at #4, and eliminate the guesswork. Of course, if Williams and Portis go #2 and #3 then you are screwed. But that's why they call it gambling...

:-]

Amen Brother Poobah!

I also think that Portis will have a slightly better overall season than Williams, especially if you include receptions & rec. yards. So if you can pull of a deal to trade down to #4 and still get Portis and an additional pick, you'll come out smelling like a rose! ;-D
[img][/img]

It is a special time and a special place... where young men go in search of fame... each sharing a common goal: To Win A National Championship!

There is NO PLACE like NEBRASKA!
Endzone Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Acme Rocket » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:53 am

Poobah speaks it like a true vet of many drafts.

If you know that they are going #2 and #3 however, and you have to choose one, I would take Ricky. The guy is strong, has shown speed that no one thought he had, and Norv loves the ground game. Ricky will get tons of carries and all of them.

Denver has run too much of a RBC (Runningback by committee) in the past. No doubt Portis is the most talented and will get the majority of the carries, but I would hate to see him pulled in Goal line situations (may happen due to his tendancy to put the ball on the ground).

Ricky is the man!
Acme Rocket
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby t-love » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:02 pm

Check out that trade thing.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

i like that trade idea...

Postby capatti1969 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:15 pm

i'm just sorry i didn't think of that trade idea myself. in the end, go with your gut and you'll have no regrets. if you go against your gut, pick ricky, and he has a bad season/gets hurt you'll never forgive yourself. ok, maybe that's overstating - it is just a game. do the trade if you can.
capatti1969
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:09 pm

There's absolutely no inherent gamble with RW. You know that guy is THE offense for Miami. Hell, Wannsted has already came out and said "oh by the way, 400+ touches this year".

Who would NOT want that?

As much UPSIDE as Portis has...it's just that...

upside.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk