Which day starts the new week, Sunday or Monday? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Which day starts the new week, Sunday or Monday?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which day starts the new week, Sunday or Monday?

Sunday
57%
Monday
43%

Total votes : 35

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:37 pm

If we took religion for truth then there would be no scientific laws because religion has proven them all wrong...... :-°

Couldn't be the other way around, could it? ;-7
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:42 pm

This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard

Sunday -

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sunday wrote:Sun·day (snd, -d)
n.

1. Abbr. Sun. or S The first day of the week.
2. The Sabbath for many Christians.

Monday -

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=monday wrote:Mon·day (mnd, -d)
n. Abbr. Mon. or M

1. The second day of the week.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:23 pm

Flux wrote:This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard

Sunday -

n.

Monday -

n. Abbr. Mon. or M

Someone shouldv'e thought to do this ALOT earlier... :-b
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:40 pm

Monday is the first day of the business week. Sunday is the first day of the week according to a Gregorian calendar. People who say Sunday is the first day of the week are technically correct. But for practical purposes in modern society Monday is the first day of the week.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:Monday is the first day of the business week. Sunday is the first day of the week according to a Gregorian calendar. People who say Sunday is the first day of the week are technically correct. But for practical purposes in modern society Monday is the first day of the week.

If Monday is the first day of the week because it's the first day of the business week, then are Saturday and Sunday not days at all :-? Must not be, since they aren't in the business week. Everybody got that straight, it's now "Sun" and "Satur" minus the "day". There are only 5 days in the week :-b
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:56 pm

That's correct. Saturdays and Sundays don't exist in a business week. That's why checks don't clear over the weekend.

The point is that Monday as the first day of a business week has become common practice in our everyday lives. So although Sunday is "officially" the first day of the week, it's realistically Monday.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:21 pm

Well I don't think it's a poll over what is the first day of the business week..... it's pretty clear that it's Monday anyway. It's "what is the first day of the week". I can't believe we're actually debating this :-b OK my 2 minutes are up, who wants to step in for a 90 second rebuttal? :-D

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:32 pm

I'm going to sit on the fence for this one. Technically I agree that Sunday is the first day of the week by definitition but Monday is what I consider the first day of the week. Most of us working stiffs do.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:34 pm

That's what I was trying to say originally. I wasn't trying to prove anything, just saying that, yes, Sunday is "officially" the first day of the week but Monday is the first day of the week for all "practical purposes".

Do you understand what I mean? ;-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:23 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:
Flux wrote:This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard

Sunday -

n.

Monday -

n. Abbr. Mon. or M

Someone shouldv'e thought to do this ALOT earlier... :-b

Comedy ;-D

Just because its in a book doesnt mean it is True. Lots of books out there don't know what the hell they are talking about. Who publishes that dictionary anyways? And what are their agendas? Who is Webster to tell me anything?

Mama said that yous the devil!-Bobby Bouche

The calendar arguement is good, but flawed. The calender, all calendars are based on RELIGION. Christians Catholics believe on Cleansing on sunday to welcome the new week. Wash away last weeks sins and start off clean. As for the Saturday thing i dont know much about that religion. Not to mention Calenders just place Saturday and Sunday at the ends to make it look better is all about symetry.

Cmon guys lets use common sense without much outside bias. Just you me and all the other people reponding to this thread.

1. When you plan a Weekend getaway to Vegas or where-ever you go. When does it generally start and end? Starts friday ends Sunday. We all generally need to be back by Sunday never Saturday. Have you ever planned a vacation to begin on SUNDAY and end on SATURDAY. NEVER. Seriously have you ever planned anything to begin on SUNDAY AND END ON SATURDAY. I think not.

2. Do schools start classes on Sunday or Monday? Start on Monday. When do classes normally end? Friday and Saturday(Some students do have class on saturday)

3. Work week, pay periods, most business information refers to DATES not days. But we all generally start our work week or OPEN on MONDAY and close on Friday.

4. In everyday talk has anyone ever seriously mentioned SUNDAY as the beginning to the week, besides religion(which is extremely outdated like the Constitution.) Please give me an example.

5. Football ends on SUNDAY, even Monday for two teams. But planning and practice all leads up to the End of the WEEK Sunday. Can't have a game unless you prepare first.

Oh man this can be debated both ways much like anything. Its about the TRIP not the DRUG.

Im with FLOCKERS. Another thing erase everything we have learned and posted.

Can you seriously tell me that Sunday is the beginning of your week. :-?
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk