Pittman a good pickup? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pittman a good pickup?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FFCrazy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:04 pm

Something to think about before you get all hot and bothered about Pittman.

Sep 27 Buccaneers running back Charlie Garner is likely to miss the rest of the season after tearing the patella tendon in his right knee during the week three game against the Raiders. "We probably lost Charlie for the season," Bucs head coach Jon Gruden told the Associated Press after the game.
Views: The good news for the Bucs is that No. 2 running back Michael Pittman has completed his three-game suspension and can return to work on September 27. The bad news for the Bucs is that Pittman is probably their best back. He rushed for 751 yards as the starter last season and failed to score a single touchdown. Pittman will likely take the bulk of the carries for the remainder of the season, but will be relieved in short yardage situations (including at the goal line) by Mike Alstott. Neither back makes a solid fantasy play, as Pittman was ineffective last year, and the Bucs aren't moving the ball well enough to give Alstott many goal line carries.
FFCrazy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Siggyfawn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:11 pm

Way to post 1/2 the story.

Pittman also had 597 receiving yards and 2 TDs. So that's 1,350 yds and 2 TDs. Nothing to get too worked up about, but if you need a RB, those are pretty solid numbers for a waiver pick on week 3.
Siggyfawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:11 pm

But I like Pittman more this year because of the loss of Keyshawn & McCardell---he'll be the safety valve IMO.
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:19 pm

Siggyfawn wrote:Way to post 1/2 the story.

Pittman also had 597 receiving yards and 2 TDs. So that's 1,350 yds and 2 TDs. Nothing to get too worked up about, but if you need a RB, those are pretty solid numbers for a waiver pick on week 3.

Good point, Sig, and now we have 2/3 of the story. Pittman did that while sharing the job with TJones. Jones, obviously, is gone, and now so is Garner. Yeah, Allstot will get some short-yardage work, but with that neck issue and distinct lack of speed, he's not going to be an every-down back.

The only downside to Pittman is he'll be part of that TB offense.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FFCrazy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:23 pm

Yeah he can catch some passes, but those were his #'s last year on what looks to be a lot better team than this year's Buc's.

Buc's vs. Denver, and then the Saints for the next two match-ups. Not good.
FFCrazy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:38 pm

I picked him up in one of my leagues where we get a point per reception. Under that scenario, I believe he's a pretty decent pick up.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:49 pm

Here's the point...I have no capable backup from my draft (Julius frigging Jones). I had Gordon and Rhodes who are now trash. That leaves me with Stecker and Pittman, baby...

I have to have a RB that starts the game and plays the whole game. Since he's the only one of those left on my wire, he's valuable. If you are in the same boat, he is a big time pickup! Any points is better than no points when your RB's are on a bye or are hurt. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tree_Sloths » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:56 pm

Pittman is better than stecker in the long run. but stecker will be putting up better numbers for the next few weeks until mcallister comes back
Tree_Sloths
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby big dawg 99 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:02 pm

Like alot of you said... Pittman may not seem like a great pickup but when I have week 5 byes of Holmes and Westbrook with only Wheatley and Gordon on the bench this is a godsend for me. He may not be a stud but he does get ALOT of playing time and will be a more than viable replacement considering what I had before him. Most of the time injuries have hurt me but this year they have given me a way of possibly squeeking out a bye week win and keeping me undefeated in a league that has only a 4 team playoff.
big dawg 99
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk