Pardon my ignorance, but is this a common rule/practice? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pardon my ignorance, but is this a common rule/practice?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby timzak » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:11 pm

We have a waiver order that starts off the reverse of the draft, so the team with the 12th draft slot starts off with the #1 waiver pick. As you use your waiver picks, you get dropped to the bottom of the list. I try to save my waiver picks until I actually need them. If there's a hot pickup that I'd like but don't NEED, I will wait for the waivers process to complete and if no one grabbed him, I then get a free shot at him. Once a player has been a free agent for more than 24 hours, he clears waivers and anyone can grab him.

This is probably the most common (and fair) way to deal with this. If the guy who lost Garner isn't near the top of the waiver list and he doesn't get a shot at Pittman, then his next course of action is to try and work out a trade with the team that did pick up Pittman.
timzak
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:12 pm

I can see how that might help keep things fair, but I don't like the rule... There are several problems:

1) What constitutes an injury? If Marshall Faulk gets a yeast infection (ok, so I stole that line) and ends up missing 2 weeks, is that an injury?

2) Does that only apply to starters? If so, what constitutes a starter? If I am alternating between Thomas Jones and Chris Brown based on matchups, who is considered the starter and who is the back-up?

3) And if it doesn't just apply to starters, then do I get bumped to the top of the order if I'm starting Manning and Grossman (my hypothetical #3) gets hurt?

4) Did your commissioner or a friend of his happen to lose someone this week?

5) How do you decide priority? If Team A loses Edgerrin James and Team B loses Deuce McAllister, and they both want Michael Pittman, who gets him?

6) What do you do about practice injuries? If Edge sprains an ankle in practice do I automatically get first shot at Rhodes, or does the injury have to happen in a game? And what happens if the injury happens in a game, but the announcement isn't made until later in the week?

7) etc... etc...

In other words, if you are going to play with this rule (which I don't like) it has to be better defined... And isn't this the point of the waiver wire, anyways? So that the crappier teams get first shot at emerging players? What good is a waiver wire if the Priest owner gets first crack at Blaylock if Priest goes down?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:29 pm

I don't like that one bit. Tough luck if you lost someone, that's Fantasy Football.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:36 pm

I dont like that rule at all either, especially if its a money league. Do teams in the NFL get top waiver priority when their star gets hurt? No, and it shouldn't happen in fantasy either. If a player gets injured, that too bad. You shouldn't be giving an advantage for it.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:00 pm

I agree. Injuries suck, a fact I am well aware of as a Deuce and Garner owner. However, part of a good fantasy team is building depth so you can remain competitive even when your stud goes down.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mtarail » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:53 pm

Bowie wrote:I have never heard of this, and I don't like it. It smacks of communism.

I thought I understood Communism, but apparently I don't. :-D

But either way I think that is a WEEAAAAK rule. Let the cards fall where they may when it comes to picking players up.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:13 pm

I just meant that there is a bleeding heart feeling of entitlement through misfortune in this rule (in one team having to give away it's superior waiver position to another which did not earn it).
Stupid joke, but if you are willing to reach a long way, it sort of makes sense.
Anyway, this rule sucks more than my comment.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby proKrastinate » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:25 pm

Bowie wrote:I just meant that there is a bleeding heart feeling of entitlement through misfortune in this rule (in one team having to give away it's superior waiver position to another which did not earn it).
Stupid joke, but if you are willing to reach a long way, it sort of makes sense.
Anyway, this rule sucks more than my comment.

this smacks of realization ;) j/k

anyway yes I don't think that rule is very fair to anyone. Thats why there is a waiver wire to begin with. And as pointed out before, who decides who gets Pittman if two RB's go down in one weekend? This is the first I have heard of this rule, and it would have been enough for me not to join. Perhaps im picky, but thats just how i feel
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JustDave45 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:31 pm

Even though that rule would have helped me greatly this year, I can no think that it is a good way to play, way too many things could go wrong as pointed out above.
"Any of you got the guts to play for blood ?"
JustDave45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:53 pm

The rule have had to been disclosed before the draft. It can't be implemented after week 3 on a whim. If it wasn't disclosed prior to the draft, the Commish is as rookie and is showing it.

We do have a similar rule, regarding QB's in our league. There is no waiver process, but you cannot pick up a back-up QB after the starter gets injured. You could DRAFT Ben Rothlisberger and wait for him to start, but if he was undrated, the Maddox owner reserves his rights.

We have considered this process for all players, but nixed it. QB's are too vulnerable to injury for our league to allow people to vulture them.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk