Pardon my ignorance, but is this a common rule/practice? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pardon my ignorance, but is this a common rule/practice?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:01 pm

It is not common practice and it is a dumb rule. It reduces the importance of a good draft and astute wire work. Injuries suck but that is why people draft depth and handcuff. A rule like that also reduces the amount of trade opportunities, too. Bad rule, IMO.
And I have to add this; is your husband the commishioner? Could it be a little payback???jk

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Paladyr » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:44 pm

this sounds like one of the idiotic rules a friend of mine has to put up with b/c it's a work league. The guy supposedly bought some "software" and is running the league from his crappy a55 website. Basically you have to email him who you want to pick up and have to wait for his reply to see if you got them. If it's sunday morning and you need to pick someone up, you better hope someone else didn't try to pick him up b/c all you'll get is an email later in the day saying "sorry, he wasn't available, so you just missed out on a spot on your roster."

He also decided to make a rule after vick went down last year that you HAVE to stash your QBs backup on your team for the entire year. How frickin retarded is this guy??
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby geekgirl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:28 am

moochman wrote:And I have to add this; is your husband the commishioner? Could it be a little payback???jk

LMAO!

Yes, he is actually! But when I told him yesterday that I thought it was a dumb rule, he said I should have voted against it 3 years ago when we instituted it. Guess I wasn't paying attention. O:-) I never cared before for some reason. My fault I guess.

I want to show "the Commish" this thread, but then he'd 1)know my source, and 2)beat my ass black and blue for having that pic in my avatar. ;-)
geekgirl
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:53 am

Plindsey88 wrote:I can see how that might help keep things fair, but I don't like the rule... There are several problems:

1) What constitutes an injury? If Marshall Faulk gets a yeast infection (ok, so I stole that line) and ends up missing 2 weeks, is that an injury?

2) Does that only apply to starters? If so, what constitutes a starter? If I am alternating between Thomas Jones and Chris Brown based on matchups, who is considered the starter and who is the back-up?

3) And if it doesn't just apply to starters, then do I get bumped to the top of the order if I'm starting Manning and Grossman (my hypothetical #3) gets hurt?

4) Did your commissioner or a friend of his happen to lose someone this week?

5) How do you decide priority? If Team A loses Edgerrin James and Team B loses Deuce McAllister, and they both want Michael Pittman, who gets him?

6) What do you do about practice injuries? If Edge sprains an ankle in practice do I automatically get first shot at Rhodes, or does the injury have to happen in a game? And what happens if the injury happens in a game, but the announcement isn't made until later in the week?

7) etc... etc...

In other words, if you are going to play with this rule (which I don't like) it has to be better defined... And isn't this the point of the waiver wire, anyways? So that the crappier teams get first shot at emerging players? What good is a waiver wire if the Priest owner gets first crack at Blaylock if Priest goes down?

Once again, Plindsey uses logic over all else to not only form his opinion but to nail it home. Good job. ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Fast Eddy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:11 am

When a super star goes out with an injury, and the rule is for that team to have first shot at his replacement, (assuming his replacement isn't already taken) I like the rule. A super star's replacement is usually only a consolation at best. It's stupid when a fantasy team's entire year is basically forfeit after two key injuries early in the season. This rule just mediates the pain a little.

It probably works better in larger leagues where every good player is of great value. In our 14 team league, only a couple teams have a decent third RB.

Compare that to having open bids on available players and it just becomes a bidding war where the deepest pockets buy the best players; equally troublesome. This method reeks of major league baseball and everything that is wrong with it.
Fast Eddy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dub-Dub » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:22 am

That is a not true. If a superstar goes down, a team is not lost... if a superstar goes down and the owner did not have the forethought to protect against that posibility... THEN it is lost.

That is all part of the game. Dealing with injuries. Handcuffing your stars. Having backup plans. Being creative. Doing reseaerch before the draft.

Why even keep score then? Let's just do it for fun then... there are no ramifications for making stupid decisions... Hell why would you back up any QB or TE? Just stock up on RBs.. and if they get hurt you'll get first shot at a replacement!

Terrible rule.
Dub-Dub
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:23 am

I coulda used that rule the year Terrell Davis (No. 1 overall pick) went down with his career-ending knee injury. I could only stand by a watch as some other mope used his waiver priority to grab Olandis Gary. :-/

Still, I've never heard of it being done that way before. My leagues have either gone with reverse order of the draft, or with position in the standings (last place gets first shot, etc, kind of like the real world).
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Fast Eddy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:12 am

Dub-Dub wrote:That is a not true. If a superstar goes down, a team is not lost... if a superstar goes down and the owner did not have the forethought to protect against that posibility... THEN it is lost.

That is all part of the game. Dealing with injuries. Handcuffing your stars. Having backup plans. Being creative. Doing reseaerch before the draft.

Why even keep score then? Let's just do it for fun then... there are no ramifications for making stupid decisions... Hell why would you back up any QB or TE? Just stock up on RBs.. and if they get hurt you'll get first shot at a replacement!

Terrible rule.

Take a deep breath dude. I addressed every one of your points in my post.

You do the math. In large leagues of 14 or 16, if everyone has two starting RBs, that leaves either 4 or 0 starting RBs in the entire league. Many of those weaker starters already share carries. So, for every bye week either all teams or 12 teams will already be playing without a starter. Factor in injuries and many teams can not field two starting running backs from week to week. That's stupid.

In such a league, hand cuffing picks are usually wasted picks. You can do it but it rarely pans out and replacements are usually just that, consolation prizes. Getting a replacement simply prevents a team from plummeting too much because of an injury. And that's only if someone else didn't already have the replacement on a roster.

The NFL has a salary cap, acquisition rules, etc... That's all this type of rule is. I don't see how holding open bidding is any better. Whoever has the deepest pockets ends up with all the rest of the players. How is that a determination of fantasy football knowledge?
Fast Eddy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:03 pm

geekgirl wrote:I want to show "the Commish" this thread, but then he'd 1)know my source ;-)

No doubt it is worth losing the player to keep your sources secret!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk