A different issue. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A different issue.

Moderator: Football Moderators

A different issue.

Postby shockeyfan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:53 pm

Here is the story: I am in a 12 team money league with friends. We tend to be very competitive. Our Commish (First year in role) decided to add special team return yards and special team TD's to defense stats.

Week 1 it was noticed and brought up to the entire league and no one responded. The middle of last week (after week 2) it was brought up again. A huge deal ensued.

Here is where it gets good. The commish researched and was able to change the level of yards and TD's to get points. It was set at 20 return yards per point and a TD was worth 6. He was able to change it to 500 yards per point and a TD is worth 0.

When he figured that out he did it and then put it to a vote. What did not realize is that the changes in points are retroactive and it changed the outcome of one game from week 1. The league voted to change the points so that special teams have no impact on defense. So a team that originally thought they had lost turned in a win.

I believe that special teams is special teams and not defense, but what I have an issue with is the fact that we started the league with one point structure and now are changing this. I personally caught the TD's and Yards before the draft and used that to my advantage in drafting. (Not a big edge, I know.) I also believe that seeing that the points made a difference in a game may have skewed some of the votes.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you have changed the points or played the season through as it was set up from the beginning?
Shockey is the MAN!
shockeyfan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:58 pm

Special teams yards/TD's counting for Team Defense sounds retarded to me, but I've always believed you can't change the scoring format after the draft.
Last edited by Free Bagel on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Bowie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:59 pm

The only way I would say you can change your points system during the season is by unanimous league vote, and only starting at the time of the vote (ie. not retroactive changes).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby shockeyfan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:03 pm

I do not believe we had a choice in retro or non retro. There is a definite asterick next to this season.
Shockey is the MAN!
shockeyfan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bowie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:05 pm

The origional scoring should stand, then. If people have a problem with the scoring, they should have brought it up before the season. You snooze you lose.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JtotheF » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:05 pm

You never change the scoring structure once the season has started. Any changes should be discussed in the off-season.

p.s. I need Shockey to be more of a man

QB T Green, R Gannon
RB S Aleander, K Barlow, D Blaylock
WR S Moss, Roy Williams, C. Chambers, Rod Smith
TE J Shockey, C. Lewis
K J Elam, P Dawson
D Steelers, Giants
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:09 pm

The retro change is complete bull, and I would be going postal if I was the guy who lost because of it.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:11 pm

I never understood why special teams couldn't be drafted in a manner similr to defense? what would be so hard about that?
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby petedog9 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:14 pm

We have a very similar problem in our league. The commish and one member randomly changed the soring rules in our league so its so lopsided and screwed up the season is virtually lost. Here is an example.
QBS get 200+ points for a 300 yard day.
Bruce had 134 yards receivng yetsreday and got 96 points
Holmes rushed for 134 yards and got 30 points

I am now called a whining loser becasue I am complaining about the changes. Here is my roster and I am 0-3.

QB-Bulger / Vick
RB- Holmes / Henry / S.Davis / George
WR- Marvin / CJ / Mason / Boldin
TE- Gonzo / Mc Michael

They didnt even bothering telling people about the changes and people have made draft picks and many trades not knowing what the hell had changed......... :-t
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bowie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:18 pm

petedog9 wrote:We have a very similar problem in our league. The commish and one member randomly changed the soring rules in our league so its so lopsided and screwed up the season is virtually lost. Here is an example.
QBS get 200+ points for a 300 yard day.
Bruce had 134 yards receivng yetsreday and got 96 points
Holmes rushed for 134 yards and got 30 points

I am now called a whining loser becasue I am complaining about the changes. Here is my roster and I am 0-3.

QB-Bulger / Vick
RB- Holmes / Henry / S.Davis / George
WR- Marvin / CJ / Mason / Boldin
TE- Gonzo / Mc Michael

They didnt even bothering telling people about the changes and people have made draft picks and many trades not knowing what the hell had changed......... :-t

Quit immediately. Can I assume the two guys who decided on the change have Manning and Culpepper or something like that? If it is a money league, than rant and rave until you get a refund, but quit anyway.

Edit: shockeyfan's problem is at least reasonable, but this is beyond ridiculous.
Last edited by Bowie on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk