Q-Tip Bandwagon: Time to Bail? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Q-Tip Bandwagon: Time to Bail?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby marksy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:15 am

From his holdout at the start of the year. I'm sure the latest injuries have not helped much.

However, I'm sure Shanahan wants to win #1, and he is convinced that running the ball will accomplish that. If Q-Tip cannot run and keeps dropping hte ball, Bell will be in sooner than we thought.
marksy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:18 am

I must have missed something with Tatum Bell, because I havn't seen him do anything in the NFL. I think a lot of people are just assuming that the Broncos must have picked out another gem without actually seeing him do anything.

This is different from with Portis in 2002. In early 02, Portis would get a few carries a game, and it became obvious he was the best back on the team. He had to prove himself with limited opportunity in actual game situations. That involves learning the offense and establishing the trust of the coach. Bell will have to go through the same process, and I havn't seen jack sh*t out of him yet. Until Bell actually proves something on the field, he is all hype and Q-Tip will remain the starter.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby marksy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:38 am

Vlad the Impaler wrote:I must have missed something with Tatum Bell, because I havn't seen him do anything in the NFL. I think a lot of people are just assuming that the Broncos must have picked out another gem without actually seeing him do anything.

This is different from with Portis in 2002. In early 02, Portis would get a few carries a game, and it became obvious he was the best back on the team. He had to prove himself with limited opportunity in actual game situations. That involves learning the offense and establishing the trust of the coach. Bell will have to go through the same process, and I havn't seen jack sh*t out of him yet. Until Bell actually proves something on the field, he is all hype and Q-Tip will remain the starter.

Assuming another gem? Well is it not a safe assumption based on T. Davis, M. Anderson, C. Portis.

Also, you sound contradictory in your last statement. Portis had to learn the offense, and got limited playing time. Isn't that exactly what Bell is going through now? Theres no difference at all in the situation. He was a holdout and has gotten hurt, but if he was available last week you don't think he would have been in there? That is exactly the chance Portis got. Q-tip ain't getting it done getting 7 yards on 12 carries against a subpar defense.

You are right he (Bell) has done nothing yet, but I would not bet against him getting his chance sooner than later. And with Denver using a 2nd round pick to get him, I'm sure they were planning ahead.

Just my opinion......
marksy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Randaman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:39 am

call me crazy but im the totall opposite, i think u go trade for him now while his value is low, hes the starter in Denver, so quickly everyone forgets how denvers system is the key, not the back himself

griffin will still be a top 15 back by seasons end, he has a easier schedule after TB and CAR, i would rather take a shot on him than trade him...just look at other "top ten backs" that haven't peformed very good, ala f.taylor, rudi johnson..griffin still probably has more fantasy points than either

hes a risk but its worth taking from experiance in recent years
Hook'em
Randaman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:53 am

Also, you sound contradictory in your last statement. Portis had to learn the offense, and got limited playing time. Isn't that exactly what Bell is going through now? Theres no difference at all in the situation.

You learn the offense in practice, then you prove it in the game. I don't know what he has learned in practice, but I havn't seen him do anything in a game. This is not like Portis, who by this time in 02 had already shown the flashes of what would make him the feature back. The only similarities I see is that they both played for Denver.

I am not saying Bell wont be good, I am just saying there is a transition to the NFL not every back makes, and I have seen nothing from Bell one way or the other, where in 2002 I saw flashes from Portis before he became the man.

I would grab Bell if he was free, but with all his hype he wont be.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby milo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:31 pm

I dont follow the Broncos, but how long has Q-Tip been in the system? Is he still essentially learning it as well? They had Portis there last year, wasnt Anderson (who eventually went down why we all jumped on Griffen) getting the carries when Portis was given a breather?
milo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Vlad makes an interesting point. By this time in 2002 Portis had 150yds and a TD. Bell has 27yds and 0 TD's.
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby marksy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:52 pm

Vlad your points are well taken. I guess my only response to that is that he hasn't been in any games because he is still likely learning the offense (as I think most agree) and was not dressed this past Sunday because of an injury.

I guess we will just wait and see, but my money is going on him getting in very soon........provided he is healthy! I think then you will see the flashes you speak of.
marksy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk