Extended Rant on McNabb (Not the usual). - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Extended Rant on McNabb (Not the usual).

Moderator: Football Moderators

Extended Rant on McNabb (Not the usual).

Postby inferno19 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:39 am

Playing Detroit, they were up 24-3 or something like that with a minute left in the half. What I would do? Run out the clock with Westbrook. What Philly does? Throw a bomb to TO, AGAIN. There's a pass interference call, because McNabb is now suddenly invincible. So, they're closer to the goal, and they throw ANOTHER BOMB.

I honestly think that the world and McNabb have something to prove. McNabb's more than proven himself this year, and by no means do I feel hes overrated. But he just seems to have everybody, including refs on his side. I think more than half of the plays that have been incomplete were called as pass interference. It seems to me as McNabb's gonna light it up this year...

Maybe I'm just jaded for not drafting him.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:46 am

You do realize Reid calls the plays? And that Reid likes a pass-happy offense? That's why they didnt just run the ball.

As for being near goalline, think of it as this: You get TO drawing double coverage, McNabb needs to be spied for his scrambling, Westbrook with his great hands in the flat, LJ Smith running an underneath route on TO's side, and 2 more WRs pulling defenders to the back of the endzone. That's a lot more dangerous for the defense than a 2 TE formation with ritchie and westbrook in the backfield.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:55 am

the PI inference is BS.

Second of all, they aren't going to run the clock with westbrook, period.

Pass-happy offense or not, why risk him getting hurt if you don't need to?

I happen to agree with it. If you have a big lead, presever westbrook and make the other team run down the clock on their drive, while you possibly add to the score.

So what if the other team scores while you are in a prevent defense? you still win the game and have westbrook for another day.

Think of it this way, look at how many points the eagles let up when they are really playing, and the game isn't already in hand, not many. tiki, moss and roy williams all had totalyl inconsequential touchdowns.

I think in this scenario, reid isn't running up the score (nor donovan) but preserving westbrook, and to some measure the defense.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:30 pm

Does Reid run a pass heavy offense? :-?
According to yardage rank, since 2000, they have ranked higher in rushing yds than passing yds every yr:
2000 - 15th in Rush, 20th in pass
2001 - 14th, 20th
2002 - 7th, 19th
2003 - 9th, 20th
2004 - 14th, 3rd

This is the first yr their pass yds is ranked higher than rush yds when compared to the rest of the league.

I do think Reid is obviously throwing more than he used to because of TO and a lack of depth at RB, and I dont think that will change anytime soon, but to say Reid has always been pass heavy is incorrect.

I think PHI is probably the hottest team right now, and Reid is one of the smartest coaches in the NFL - smart enough to know that if it aint broken, dont try and fix it. Until someone solves the McNabb/TO puzzle, expect PHI to be at or near the top of the league in passing this yr. Why run out the clock when your opponent hasnt been able to stop your passing game all game?

One note about last week v. DET - DET's secondary is decimated by injury, they also have been relatively stout against the run - it really shouldnt have come as a suprise that PHI's gameplan revolved around the pass.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Extended Rant on McNabb (Not the usual).

Postby Steve_Mac9 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:31 pm

inferno19 wrote:Playing Detroit, they were up 24-3 or something like that with a minute left in the half. What I would do? Run out the clock with Westbrook. What Philly does? Throw a bomb to TO, AGAIN. There's a pass interference call, because McNabb is now suddenly invincible. So, they're closer to the goal, and they throw ANOTHER BOMB.

I honestly think that the world and McNabb have something to prove. McNabb's more than proven himself this year, and by no means do I feel hes overrated. But he just seems to have everybody, including refs on his side. I think more than half of the plays that have been incomplete were called as pass interference. It seems to me as McNabb's gonna light it up this year...

Maybe I'm just jaded for not drafting him.

Ummm ........................................ well ummm ..... I don't think he's more than proven anything other than he's been good for 3 weeks against D's that can make QB's look good .... I've said for awhile that anything questionable and The Eagles or The Colts are going to get it. The NFL offices cream themselves over the thought of a Peyton/McNabb Super Bowl ..... Hype HyPe Hype!!!
Steve_Mac9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:34 pm

must you slam every discussion of the eagles? your boy mac9 or whatever got plenty of hype in his days.

And someone has to lead the league in pentalies for. Maybe the style of play has something to do with it.

maybe ownes and mcnabb are two of the hardest players to contain in the leage.

go cry in your beer elsewhere. your arguments are getting rather one note.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve_Mac9 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:38 pm

eaglesrule wrote:must you slam every discussion of the eagles? your boy mac9 or whatever got plenty of hype in his days.

And someone has to lead the league in pentalies for. Maybe the style of play has something to do with it.

maybe ownes and mcnabb are two of the hardest players to contain in the leage.

go cry in your beer elsewhere. your arguments are getting rather one note.

I respond to those things that I have an opinion on - and I'm rather opinionated about The Eagles .... Dude clean up your jibberish I can barely understand you ...
Steve_Mac9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:43 pm

gibberish it makes basic sense mr, insensitive, I have arthritis in my fingers thank you very much.

your opinionated that's for sure. doesn't mean your opinions have a shred of credibility.

I am beginning to wonder if you are just jealous of mcnabb, you seem to go out of your way to slam him an awful lot.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Challie » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:47 pm

I'd understand of this McNair-McNabb crap if it was Yankees-Red Sox or Cowboys-Skins or something. But the Eagles and Titans really have absolutely no rivalry whatsoever.

I guess we've really arrived in the era of the individual athletes being more important than teams / cities. (Sure, I know this is bound to happen with a fantasy site.) Just weird to me. As a Shawn Alexander fan, should I start hating Jamal Lewis?
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Challie wrote:As a Shawn Alexander fan, should I start hating Jamal Lewis?

If you're anti-drug, you should start hating that coke pusher.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk