Thomas Jones Stock - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones Stock

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JBase2 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:36 pm

Detroit, Green Bay (w/o Grady Jackson) and Minnesota

Detroit - one of your better fantasy Ds right now
Green Bay - Who expected him to even break 80 on this defense, you act like it's bad?
Minnesota - Look at their stats at home against the run.

You might call him a sleeper because he's been dead for the last couple of years (only because he wasn't given a chance). I've been following him since HS. The kid's moms a COLEMINER. He's from a town with a population of literally 100 people. He attracted insane amount of people in high school. 1,000 people would just come to see that kid. And anyone watch him in Virginia? He broke Tikis records ... He's a first round draft choice finally given a chance. Top five next year is more than possible.
JBase2
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fantasizing » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:43 pm

I would just be a little concerned if I had Jones on my team. With no passing game, it's awfully tought to get those "easy" 1 and goal from the 1 touchdowns that P. Holmes and S. Alexander
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Brablc_ffc » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:23 pm

Jones is a poor man's Priest or LT. He's going to have about 120 yards of total offense a game and touchdowns here and there with any quarterback that the Bears play. He's finally in the right system with the Bears and he'll get plently of touches and receptions out of the backfield.

I wouldn't say he's a Top 5 back for next year just yet, but remember Holmes came from almost nowhere to produce gaudy numbers. The second coming, perhaps?
Brablc_ffc
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:31 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:It is like,my opinion that Jones is good and you can't argue with his numbers.Hopefully he is around to help guide me to a championship,or two.Then I will be sold.

Apparently you are easier sold on Randle El, eh GP?
Hey last year at this time there were many RBs that were doing better than LT, and I think he ended up doing OK. It's too early to tell. The loss of Grossman is not going to help his cause. My only qualms about TJ is that he hasn't done it over time...yet. So I say we give him the time to establish his position amoungst his peers. I mean, ya know, cause that's what's going ot happen anyway.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Shader » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:12 am

Guttpuppy wrote:
Nobodies Business wrote:AS OF RIGHT NOW HE IS.... its not like, an opinion... he's the #3 RB in the entire NFL, and #1 in the NFC... Its NUMBERS... check em out... and 3 weeks in a row.... c'mon..

It is like,my opinion that Jones is good and you can't argue with his numbers.Hopefully he is around to help guide me to a championship,or two.Then I will be sold.

Sorry, but the numbers DO LIE in the first part of the season. Is Javon Walker the 1 receiver in the league? I don't think so. Listen, the injury to Grossman will really hurt Jones. His td's will fall off as that offense will be pathetic. Thomas Jones doesn't compare to LT. It's not even close.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:46 am

Thomas Jones has turned out to what many people thought Barlow would be coming into the season. A workhorse 3 down RB that is gonna get a TON of touches. IF you watch the Bear's games so far this season, you'll notice that Jones is getting the ball on first down.... second down..... third down.... ALL THE TIME and he's producing well enough to keep drives alive.

I agree that the loss of Grossman can really hurt this guy, but it seems like the Bear's have found the round peg to fit into the round hole they've needed at RB. I'm not ready to lump T.Jones into the "stud" RB category, but I think he is definitely up there when you compare him to other #2 RBs.

The only real problems I see for Jones are going to be the lack of touches in the redzone when he faces tougher defenses. I still don't have any confidence at all in that Bear's offense, he'll have a tough time breaking into the top10 because of his TD totals.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Siggyfawn » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:03 am

It's way too early. If teams can shut down Jamal Lewis, Edge, LT etc.. then they can do it to Jones. He's not going to sneak up on anyone, and with Gross out we'll see how he does when a team prepares enterily to stop him.
Siggyfawn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby McGill » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:41 am

Canadian Seahawk wrote:I own Thomas Jones in all 5 leagues (NO JOKE) and when I drafted him in my money league it went like this.....

"The XSupermodels select THIS YEAR'S PRIEST HOLMES Thomas Jones RB Chicago."

I am a believer and I hope his numbers keep up ;-D ;-D

oh I also own Chris Brown in 4 leagues ;-D ;-D

now if I would only start them.........hehe

Well...I got Him by trading away Darrell Jackson in the offseason..then had him and Priest as keepers coming into this season...then i was able to pick up Chris Brown in the 9th round of the draft...

Priest + TJ + C. Brown = Kick-A$$

;-D
McGill
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:03 am

Jones is having a great year so far, but a couple of things worry me:

1) With no passing game to speak of without Grossman, it's going to be hard for him to keep pouring on the yardage... When people start putting 8 and 9 guys in the box, he's going to have a MUCH harder time...

2) His schedule thus far has been mediocre, but coming up he still has to face:

Philly
Washington
Tampa
Giants
Tennessee
Dallas
Jacksonville

I'm thinking, right now, Thomas Jones is an ideal Sell High player... He's top dog in many fantasy leagues, and his value IS going to drop off to some degree... If I could upgrade a WR and get Chris Brown (or maybe even Fred Taylor) in trade, I would...
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wizbang » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:18 am

"He's played Green Bay, Minnesota and Detroit"

Yup, and guess what... he's going to play them all one more time! Schedule is important when differentiating among top players so you can't ignore playing Detroit twice versus playing Baltimore or Miami twice. The fact that all the good defenses are in the AFC will help TJones quite a bit.

I still have him rated well behine LT2 (who WILL still have a big year), Priest, AGreen and probably Shaun Alexander as well. However, if his 8 catches last week are an indicator of what is to come then he could quickly shock the fantasy world. There is no denying how good he looks running the ball right now or how good the Bears OL looked against a strong Minnesota DL. The situation looks quite promising, IF Quinn can play at a level near what Grossman was (which for my money shouldn't be too hard).
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk