Team Statistics Ideas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Team Statistics Ideas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Team Statistics Ideas

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:40 am

I run a league and I want to know what kind of team statistics I could calculate to give the junkies in my league something to do during the day.

I currently calculate Power Rankings for the league and what I call the luck rating. This just takes the difference in actual winning percentage to your winning percentage if you were matched up against every team every week.

Anyway, I can't really think of any other good stats. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks.
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:17 am

The power ranking is a good one.....

Maybe positional stats, QB average PPG, etc.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:47 am

What is the "power rating" and what are the formulas for that and the "luck factor"? Sounds like fun.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:52 am

I like the Power Rankings idea. I am going to add it to the NFFL's Hall of Fame section. What algorithm do you use to determine rankings?

One thing we do is manager efficiency which is the percentage of potential points scored. Your team scores X but could have potentially scored Y if it had been managed perfectly so you M.E. ratio is ((100 * Actual)/Potential).
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:09 pm

Well a lot of power ranking used in the real nfl take points allowed into account but you can't really do that in a fantasy leauge since you can do nothing to stop your oppenent from scoring. So my "Power Ranking" is based solely on the the total winning percentage of you team if you had played every team every week.

For example, in my league there are 12 teams so each week I will compare your score to the 11 other teams and create a win-loss-tie record based on that. Then do that for each week. So after week 3 my team is 10-23 (33 total match ups), that puts me ranked 9th in the power rankings. Not to good.

But, my acutal record is 3-0. This is where the luck factor comes into play. I take my real winning percentage, 1.000 and subtract my power ranking winning percentage 10-23(.303). That give me a +.697. No one in my league is even close to that. Teams that are under acheiveing, meaning they score lots of points but get beat by other people that scored a lot, will have negative scores. And teams who real record and power ranking record are relative will have number near 0. So in summary, people with positive numbers are over achieving a bit while those with negative numbers are under achieving.

Anyway, I like stuff like this and was just hoping for more more ideas. I already do like a fantasy points per game for each player on peoples teams. I was looking for something that was more team based.

I was thinking I would do average margin or victory or margin of loss, but those sound kind of redundant to me.
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:18 pm

FF Newbie wrote:What is the "power rating" and what are the formulas for that and the "luck factor"? Sounds like fun.

Power ranking is as if you were matched up against everyone that week.....

Example:
Team A scores 126
Team B scores 86
Team C scores 110
Team D scores 140
Team E scores 78
Team F scores 106

A would have gone 4-1
B would have gone 1-4
C would have gone 3-2
D would have gone 5-0
E would have gone 0-5
F would have gone 2-3

But in head to head format A and D could have been playing leaving A at 0-1.....
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:20 pm

For power rankings, wouldn't it be best to compare each persons optimal roster set-up to each other person's optimal roster set-up for that week?

;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:23 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:For power rankings, wouldn't it be best to compare each persons optimal roster set-up to each other person's optimal roster set-up for that week?

;-D

That acutally is a good idea. You could have two difference power rankings. The original as stated above and a "Power Ranking for Dummies" type thing. I think you need to keep the offical power ranking related to the players the owner actually does start since that is where the skill in this hobby lies.
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:44 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:For power rankings, wouldn't it be best to compare each persons optimal roster set-up to each other person's optimal roster set-up for that week?

;-D

No because you are then removing the team owner's skill from the equation. But I think I might create a weighted Power Rankings by multiplying it against a manager's efficiency rating. It sounds good in my head but I am going to play with it in Excel and see if it bears out mathematically.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:53 pm

vsanzone,

I think there may be a problem with the way you calculate you power rankings. By subtracting potential winning percentage from actual winning percentage you are devaluing successful teams (or rather penalizing them for success).

Contrived example (4-team league):

Team A is 4 - 0, 1.000, PR 12 - 0, 1.000

Team B is 2 - 2, 0.500, PR 10 - 2, 0.833

A = 0.000
B = -0.333

A is clearly the better team and should have a lower result (higher P.R.).
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk