Team Statistics Ideas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Team Statistics Ideas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:vsanzone,

I think there may be a problem with the way you calculate you power rankings. By subtracting potential winning percentage from actual winning percentage you are devaluing successful teams (or rather penalizing them for success).

Contrived example (4-team league):

Team A is 4 - 0, 1.000, PR 12 - 0, 1.000

Team B is 2 - 2, 0.500, PR 10 - 2, 0.833

A = 0.000
B = -0.333

A is clearly the better team and should have a lower result (higher P.R.).

The stat that I subtract the potential from the acutal is not for me "Power Ranking" stat it is for my "Luck Factor or Achivement Stat", I may have been unclear up above. The "Luck Factor" stat really just shows if teams are over or under achieving. Your example is perfect for this. The team that is 4-0/12-0 has a 0.000 luck factor rating because their actual performance matches there potential performance. While Team B has a luck rating of -.333 becuase they are under achieving or their acutal perfomance is less than their potential.

For the power rating I just use the potential performance number.
Last edited by vsanzone on Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:10 pm

OK, got it. Yeah I misunderstood your initial post. ;-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:17 pm

Sweet, I worked them up for my $$$ league... I was not happy to learn that I am, in fact, no. 7 of 10 in our power rankings, and no. 1 in the luck factor ratings.... :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:19 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Sweet, I worked them up for my $$$ league... I was not happy to learn that I am, in fact, no. 7 of 10 in our power rankings, and no. 1 in the luck factor ratings.... :-t

I'm quite a bit lower in my league than I would have thought too. :-/
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:22 pm

plindsey you are in the same boat as me. 9/12 in power rankings and miles ahead of everyone in the luck ratings with a 3-0 record. I am preparing myself for a hard fall back to reality.
Last edited by vsanzone on Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:26 pm

To make matters worse, our top dog actually is no. 7 of 10 in the luck factor rankings and has a negative luck factor... :-t

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JtotheF » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:15 pm

Thanks for the "Luck Factor" stat.

Great idea! ;-D
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:18 pm

The idea was not to provide others with "whopping" two different stats I calculate for teams in my league, it was to get ideas of other stats that could be fun to have for the league.

Someone has to have some ideas.....
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:25 pm

vsanzone wrote:The idea was not to provide others with "whopping" two different stats I calculate for teams in my league, it was to get ideas of other stats that could be fun to have for the league.

Someone has to have some ideas.....

I like the owner efficiency stat... Calculate the difference between the optimal line-ups that each owner has set versus the actual line-ups, and then take it a step further and calculate an IDEAL power ranking by figuring the power rankings of each team assuming they had played the optimal line-up each week... That should give a better idea of which teams are truly better v. which owners are playing them better...

Case in point:

I am 7/10 in power rankings the way that I played my team, but I would be 2/10 if I had set the correct line-up each week... That's comforting... At least I know my team is not completely awful....
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby vsanzone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:31 pm

Yeah I am definitely going to implement the owner efficientcy and power ranking based on best lineup stats. I am gonig to call it the "Power Ranking for Dummies" stat.

I have been searching around the web a bit today looking for other cool stats but haven't come up with anything.

Another thing we used to do each week was make All star teams and an All Star Free Agent team. These two list the best lineup possible with all players and the best linenup possible with only Free Agents.
vsanzone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk