Godfrey Released - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Tennessee Titans

Godfrey Released

Moderator: Football Moderators

Godfrey Released

Postby Slingblade » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:27 pm

GM FLOYD REESE, Wednesday, June 18, 2003

(on releasing Randall Godfrey)

We had to release Randall Godfrey today. We visited with Randall and his agent. It was a very difficult decision on our part. It was difficult from several standpoints. First of all he was a valued member, somebody that has worked to be here, has spent time with us, and somebody that we wanted around. The other part, of course, is that we need some money. We’re making progress with all three of the additional people that are sitting out there that we’ve talked about before. We anticipate one, two, if not all three of those being here for camp, before the end of camp. In order to do that we had to get the ball rolling. The first thing that we had to do was waive Randall. Again, this was very, very difficult. It clears up enough money for us to get the ball rolling. We can probably make it if not through camp, into camp, and in essence we're trading one position for three positions.

(on if decision came down to wanting to re-sign Hentrich, Dinapoli, and O’Donnell)

I think we had decided that we wanted all three of those guys sitting out there. I think the bottom line was one, could we get them, and two, what was it going to cost? I think, as I said, that we’re going to be very, very close to getting all three. It’s going to cost us some money and we had to find a way to clear some cap room.

(on if it was a mistake to rework Godfrey’s contract earlier this off-season)

It was unfortunate because we had no other choice but to do him then. And the sad part is that Randall did everything that he could to try to stay with us, and we tried to make that work. Unfortunately for him and for us, we just couldn’t make it work.

(on if was concerned about ramifications of keeping a player who had to take a contract cut to stay)

We certainly don’t like it. That’s not a precedence we like to set. But the things that we’ve been through before yearly are starting to change on us. That is before this we could get it done easily with a re-do, but now we’re doing the point where those things aren’t quite as simple. As things get tougher you have to find new avenues. Unfortunately this is the avenue we had to take at this particular time.

(on if was more difficult knowing he had been around here all off-season working out)

Yes. As I said, I think he has done pretty much everything that we’ve asked. We knew we needed to adjust his contract. He knew that and obliged, grudgingly of course, but that’s normal. We did it, and we had hoped that would get us through and we’d be able to weather the storm. Unfortunately it didn’t work that way.

(on how much team will miss his presence in locker room)

Yeah, Randall was a heck of a player for us. I think when Randall was healthy and playing he was one of the top 10 linebackers in the league. The other side of the coin, whether it’s fortunate or unfortunate, is that we have great depth at that position. It’s a position that on a yearly basis is losing play time on our club for whatever reason. We have a group of young, very highly skilled linebackers that are here and in place. It’s a choice that you hate to make, but one that you have to make.

(on if he’ll catch on soon with another club)

Oh, he won’t have any trouble finding another job.

(on if Craig Hentrich will be re-signed soon)

I don’t think any of the three guys are more than a couple of phone calls away. I’ve talked with Neil several times in the last few days. I’m waiting for a call from Gennaro, and Craig’s agent is actually busy with another deal, but we expect to hear from him this afternoon. I think from our standpoint we’ve got our ducks pretty much in a row and we’re kind of waiting for them to pull the trigger.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:12 am

Shame they messed him around before getting rod of him, but he will survive and so will the Titans.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to Tennessee Titans