Tyrone Calico yes, but WHY. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tyrone Calico yes, but WHY.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tyrone Calico yes, but WHY.

Postby Leonard Henry -2 Yds » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:31 pm

I've been playing Fantasy Football for a handful of years now and I still don't understand the monstrous hype coming at me from left from right, blindsiding me and bludgeoning my face week in week out about this guy.

WHY WHY WHY

He had 14 catches last year as a #4 - sure the 4 TD's are nice, but why do I hear sports writers saying "He's questionable - wait a week before you UNLEASH him on you league" ?!?!?

Please, just explain yourself thoroughly. One of my friends is notorious for drafting Antwaan Randle El a couple years back - "Greatest #3 wideout of all time"
Leonard Henry -2 Yds
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:48 pm

He had 18 receptions last year. ;-)

It's all about the potential with Calico. He's 6'4", 220+ lbs. He's built like T.O. and has all the tools to be very good. And the Titans thought enough of him to let McCareins go.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:14 pm

Amazinz wrote:He had 18 receptions last year. ;-)

It's all about the potential with Calico. He's 6'4", 220+ lbs. He's built like T.O. and has all the tools to be very good. And the Titans thought enough of him to let McCareins go.

Except hands, for now. He'll have growing pains, as all the young ones do (except Roy Williams... wow), but give him a year or two. Then you'll be drafting him in the top eight rounds. I wouldn't pick him up now, or whenever he gets healthy, unless your waiver wire is depleted of other, more reliable talent.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:22 pm

Justin McCareins left for the Jets. Drew Bennett is always injured. Derrick Mason draws the best coverage and the double teams, leaving Calico to beat single-man coverage. Eddie George was cut, and with three 100+ yard games, defenses must respect wunderkind Chris Brown. Enron Kinney, and now Ben Troupe, can't be ignored.

Can you see now why the potential is there for Calico to break out?!?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:27 pm

I remembered this post by mookie4ever, it's dated but most of the worthwhile player opinion were during the offseason. there are other nice threads about him, just look it up under search.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68637&highlight=calico

One of my sleeper WR this year is Ty Calico.

The guy only had 18 catches last year so he should go fairly low in most drafts and cheap in most auctions.

He is an amazing athlete. AT 6'4" he's taller than just about any wr except Plax (6'5") and at 222 lbs is hard for a DB to bring down. He is fast and an amazing endzone target.

I believe that he will overtake Bennett as the #2. Then he will be in the perfect position to outperform his draft position:

McNair throwing
Mason on the other wing
Troupe probably not ready for the big time - so he is the man in three man sets

He is generally ranked in the 50-70 position for WRs. In this spot, drafted as a #4 WR for your fantasy team Ty Calico brings tremendous value.
[/url]

By the way, welcome to the "Warm of Ocean of Love", as I like to call it, otherwise known as the cafe. Nice username by the way. ;-D

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:56 pm

As the Lung said, Calico is the real stretcher of the defense, assuming the role that McCareins flourished in last year. Truthfully, I believe their offense has been stagnant because they've lacked this threat. I really expect the Titans offense to get it going once Calico gets it in gear. He should put up similar #s to McCareins last year, pro-rated of course.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:20 pm

I've had this guy on my dynasty team since the rookie draft last season. He's amazingly fast and big. The hands are a question but he worked all offseason on it and seems to have improved somewhat, but as no1cowboysfan mentioned, he'll have growing pains. He's not a sure thing but he's probably the best gamble on most waiver wires right now.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:51 pm

give him 2 or 3 years and he'll be borderline top 25 material methinks...Just so much potential sprouting from him ;-D
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve_Mac9 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:08 am

6-4 223 - 4.3 40 with a 42 vertical .... He does have a tendacy to drop easy balls (although I personally watched him spend numerous hours with The Juggs machine this summer) but Jesus man the dude can flat out sky for hard catches - his hands are so huge it makes the football look like a tennis ball and he is a big time threat after the catch .. If he works hard he has Top 3 in the league tools ...
Steve_Mac9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hammerwx » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:26 pm

think of Calico as the "Javon Walker" of the Titans. Big strong & fast
hammerwx
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk