did i goof as commissioner - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

did i goof as commissioner

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Rodge » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:23 am

chchelse wrote:Same thing happened in my money league. Guy couldn't access the site, wanted a player and called me and said so. 4 hours later, (before I listened to my messages), someone picked him up on-line. Called the guy who picked him up and told him the situation and told him the guy who called in the tansaction ould get the player. No problem.

Yes, I agree with this but I think that this is a situation that is very different than the one that badabingcrew has dealt with. I think that in an online league everyone should have the commisioner's phone number in case their internet service is down. But it is different to just post some generic message and make no attempt to contact the commisioner like Team A did or I should say didn't do.

Murray wrote:It all depends on how much fun this league is meant to be. If it's a no-holds-barred, dog-eat-dog league, then Team B gets it. If it's a fun, friendly league, then Team A gets it.

I also agree with this. If it is a money league, than no way Team A gets Leonard Henry, give him to Team B. If it is a casual league, then it maybe is a different story.

Kensat30 wrote:Anyone that says he should lose the player because he didn't know how to use the waiver is a hater. You guys need to relax and realize that fantasy football is a game made for enjoyment rather than being FF Nazi's that wear their tighty whities three sizes too small.

I agree with this if you are playing with a bunch of third graders or maybe a bunch of liberals. Uh-oh, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and we always have to try and make everything fair. Well life isn't fair. Some people are actually serious about Fantasy Football and actually care about winning. I'll tell you one thing, I play to win.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby unknownbreaker » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:41 pm

i sort of agree with you.

if the league is intended for just any serious fantasy player to join, then it would be unreasonable to ruin the continuity of the entire league over one noob who didnt bother lookin up the rules or asking another fantasy freak for some help.

but if this league is merely intended for friends, serious or noob, then you have to have some leeway. dont ever let petty crap like this get in the way of friends haha.

and in terms of the money league matter, calling in when your internet is down is totally reasonable. but i wouldnt push that too much. i could just make up any old lie about my internet being down and just abuse the system when i think i need a FA.

i'm deviating.
bottom line, who gives a crap. hehehe
unknownbreaker Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:02 pm

Rodge wrote:
chchelse wrote:Same thing happened in my money league. Guy couldn't access the site, wanted a player and called me and said so. 4 hours later, (before I listened to my messages), someone picked him up on-line. Called the guy who picked him up and told him the situation and told him the guy who called in the tansaction ould get the player. No problem.

Yes, I agree with this but I think that this is a situation that is very different than the one that badabingcrew has dealt with. I think that in an online league everyone should have the commisioner's phone number in case their internet service is down. But it is different to just post some generic message and make no attempt to contact the commisioner like Team A did or I should say didn't do.

Was posting the message not only a way of contacting the commish as well the rest of the league. I agree a phone call may have been needed as well, but please don't try to make it sound like no contact was attempted.

Rodge wrote:
Murray wrote:It all depends on how much fun this league is meant to be. If it's a no-holds-barred, dog-eat-dog league, then Team B gets it. If it's a fun, friendly league, then Team A gets it.

I also agree with this. If it is a money league, than no way Team A gets Leonard Henry, give him to Team B. If it is a casual league, then it maybe is a different story.

Why would the type of league make a difference? And if you really feel it does, then I would hope you would want a more fairly run league like this one when your money is on the line.

Rodge wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Anyone that says he should lose the player because he didn't know how to use the waiver is a hater. You guys need to relax and realize that fantasy football is a game made for enjoyment rather than being FF Nazi's that wear their tighty whities three sizes too small.

I agree with this if you are playing with a bunch of third graders or maybe a bunch of liberals. Uh-oh, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and we always have to try and make everything fair. Well life isn't fair. Some people are actually serious about Fantasy Football and actually care about winning. I'll tell you one thing, I play to win.
[/quote]

Kensat said nothing about not wanting to win or not hurting someones feelings. But winning in the fairest way possible is always more satisfying, and that's our goal here. To let this commish know he did correct and handled this in a fair fashion. And trust me from reading Kensat's posts, he knows a great deal about FF and always plays to win.

From what I can tell this person did nothing more wrong than not understanding the league. He made every attempt to let his intentions be known via the message, and if anything worsened his position rather then strengthening it by letting something that should've have been confidential become public.

I think you did the right thing as commish, no question. Especially if he said who he was droping. I can think of no way that he would have benefited by doing what he did. He didn't know how to use the WW and did the next best thing by telling everyone who he was picking.

If anything I think I would've been more mad at team B as a commish for picking up that player if they knew team 1 was having difficulties picking him up.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby badabingcrew » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:13 pm

wow i didn't expect this many responses. thanks for all the input. i decided to stick to my origanl decision and grant leonard henry to team a. i think i did the right thing in this instance but i worry i might have set a dangerous precedent for the future.
btw - this is a money league,12 teams, 9 years old, average owner existence in this league 6 years, owner of team A 6 year member(2 time champ), 2nd year on rtsports, substantial cash but everyone plays with morals not cutthroat.
mcnair,pennington,palmer
holmes*,henry*,pittman
mason*,chambers*,price*,keyshawn,boldin
boo williams.gates
josh brown*,kasay
nyj
Last edited by badabingcrew on Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badabingcrew
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:21 pm

You did the right thing, since he made his intention publicly known during the waiver period. It's not cool to be a hardass about stuff like that.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:30 pm

I think if its a fun league, you did the right thing. No one should be that upset about it. After all it's Leonard Henry for pete's sake.

If it's a money league, you did the wrong thing. It's cut-throat out there, and I would be p-o'd if I needed someone and got him on the waiver only to see I lost him to someone who didn't know what they were doing.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dirtbags » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:14 pm

You made the right move. He had every intention of making the move. Only one mulligan allowed though due to the fairly new site and possibly his first waiver pick-up (?).
Dirtbags
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:38 pm

bungle613 wrote:You did the right thing. He made it known that he wanted the player duringthe WW period. Nuff said. Just make sure he loses his WW priority.

He HAS to lose his waiver priority. I would also inform him this was his ONE screw-up, and he will not have another similar claim honored.

Warn the entire league, be firm about it, and try to be consistent in your rulings.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Flockers » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:51 pm

Who the hell is Leonard Henry?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby dustyn » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:38 am

He's the practice squad Miami "running back" (I use that phrase loosely, since he sucks). Regardless, he is the starting "running back" (agian, use those worlds loosely) for the Dolphins.
dustyn
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk