How do you get people to trade? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you get people to trade?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you get people to trade?

Postby Challie » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:49 am

My money league is a bit of a downer in that nobody trades. I think this is probably a little true everywhere ....

Every owner won't deal an underperforming starter (cause he'll be good the rest of the season) and won't deal a guy off to a hot start (cause he'll still be good the rest of the season).

It's getting a little frustrating. Guys fall in love with their players in this league. Then all you get are offers like this: Kenny Watson, Muhsin Muhammad & Jerald Sowell for my Isaac Bruce & Chris Brown. (Seriously, just got this offer last night.)

I guess it's OK cause this league is always snoozing on the Waiver Wire & Free Agent pool so I can always engineer myself a playoff team over the course of the season - finished in the money all 4 years. But it still would be more fun with some meaningful trades.

I always try to make legitimate win-win trade proposals. Offer up something the other guy needs. But these cats are too paranoid.

Here at the Cafe, I always hear of trades being pulled off. How do you do it? Is it a matter of being in leagues with a few real morons, or does it help to be in a league with more true FF addicts?
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:52 am

I offer fair, balanced trades that address the other teams' areas of need. I also offer my best deal first. I know that some won't agree with that strategy, but teams in my league know to always take a close look at the trades I offer because they're legit and they never feel like I'm low-balling them.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:16 am

I just got a trade agreed to today... Now, I'm just waiting for league and commisioner approval...

The guy I am trading with has Curtis Martin and Steve McNair with Garcia as a backup... He also has Owens and Bruce...

On my team I have Manning and Penny, and no real solid WR's...

SO, seeing his clear problem at QB, and his solid WR's, and knowing that he is stressing a decline in Martin, I offered him:

Penny and Porter

for

Garcia and Bruce...

He can't very well refuse such an offer... It addresses his QB needs, gives him insurance for Martin in games where Martin gets shut down, and Penny has to go to the air, and it doesn't hurt him too much at WR, because Porter should still be solid...

On my end, I lose a great backup QB, but Manning never misses time, and Carr is on my wire, so I will be dropping Garcia for Carr, and Bruce provides me with some MUCH needed help at WR....

That's what I call a win-win situation, and when you make offers like that, the other guy can't very well say no....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:38 am

The only trades I've been able engineer this year are from injuries.

for example: I hear Deuce might be out 6 wks, I run and grab stecker. Then the trade discussions opens with the Deuce owner.

When S. Smith went down, my #3 WR started looking pretty good at the time to him...

Funny though, I'm currently fairly stacked at RB (in a 14 team league), so teams are trying to get my RB's on the cheap because they have "no value" to me. OY!

But, back to the original subject, I usually can only coerce a trade when the other team has a percieved urgent need.
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PSU All Day » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:46 pm

There are two strategies in my league:

1. Offer enough rediculous trades to the desperate people until someone gives in just to get the guy to STOP suggesting trades.

and

2. The balanced trade offers that address both sides needs.

I fall into number 2. I just made a trade with number one but it took somewhere around 12 trade offers and counters to get it done. He was far more desperate than I was so I just weeded through the crap until we could agree on a trade.

The trades that I have been able to work this year and last typically package a #1 and a no body for 2 players. I have given up the 2 players twice to upgrade my team.

Last year I gave up Owens and William Green for Faulk and Gordon. Classic 2 for 1. We started 2 WR's and I had C Johnson and Holt as well as Owens. I made the move early in the year and the other owner thought he got a steal. Turned out he didn't and I won my league.

This year I just traded Stallworth and Tooomer for D Jackson and K Colbert. My goal was to get a legitimate #1 (D Jackson) for 2 #2/3s. So now I can pencil in D Jackson and H Ward every week and know that I don't have to worry about the matchups etc. he was so weak at WR besides Jackson that he HAD to make a deal.

We'll see how I did after this weekend.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:33 pm

there's allot of ways to get trades going. what i do most often is to write down any needs i have. then look over every roster in the league and make a "target" list of the players i want the most.then i look at the first guy on my list's team and see what he needs. if i think i can help him i'll send an email saying something like "hey i noticed you need a little help at wr and i could possibly deal either coles,burress or lloyd. are you interested in any of these guys to improve your team? let me know, thx."

then you go to the 2nd team on your list and do the same. usually 1 out of every 2 i send i get a reply. but usually 1 of those 2 replies are a dead end no thanks reply. so it takes about 4 offers to get trade talks started. then sometimes it takes a few emails back and forth to get a result for both teams to benifit. sometimes no trade is done. but i've found in keeper leagues and dynasty leagues.you get to know each other better even if no deal is made and sometimes you can pull off a trade quicker later because you know how the other guy works.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ChyBoy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:57 pm

I have tried all the approaches in my money leauge they are just not wanting to trade because they are afraid to give away anything or get stuck with a dud. I once offered a trade to a guy that had no QB for the week, one of my QB's for one of his extra free agent picks (we use to acquire 1 extra pick for each loss and you only got one alotted to you a week). He refused. It was like the 11th week and he had built up 5 extra free agent moves but he did not want to give one up. The next week he picked up a QB for reserve that was worse than the one I had offered. Made no sense.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:33 pm

Usually though, I try to look at all the teams that have what I want and then try to work something out w/ the guy who needs what I have the most. Even if his guys aren't quite as good as other ones, it's usually easier to get a deal done.

I'm looking to rough people up now in the work/money leage. 14 teams and I have 4 QB (!!)...CPepp, Delhomme, Testaverde and I got Collins off the WW about 30 sec after Gannon went down.

A guy was looking for QB today and I was trying to pry Moss loose straight up for Delhomme. He said 'Moss has 62 points and Delhomme only has 56'. I replied 'yeah, but DelHomme had a bye week so I'm doing you a FAVOR' but he decided to go with Quinn instead so I'm just going to hold out. A lot of the teams haven't even hit their bye weeks yet. Should be interesting to see if can come up with something useful. Most of the teams are only carrying 2 QB and it's a 14 team league that PLAYS 2 QB/ week. I'm sure that SOMEONE will want to talk to me... }:-)
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:52 pm

It's hard if you are in a league that no one trades much or is averse to trading. My first fantasy league, which I am still in, has never had one trade in the 6 years I've been in the league.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 pm

not to be rude, but this:

"hey i noticed you need a little help at wr and i could possibly deal either coles,burress or lloyd. are you interested in any of these guys to improve your team? let me know, thx."

ends up being an insult if sorts. people know what their faults are, but for some reason seem adverse when poeple poitn it out like that -- in my experience.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk