How do you get people to trade? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you get people to trade?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:14 am

People are generally alot more cautious in money leagues. I started doing money leagues 2 years ago and noticed that trades are much rarer, though this year (our 3rd as a group) people seem to be opening up more than ever.
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby login » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:30 am

I once offered a trade to a guy that had no QB for the week, one of my QB's for one of his extra free agent picks (we use to acquire 1 extra pick for each loss and you only got one alotted to you a week). He refused. It was like the 11th week and he had built up 5 extra free agent moves but he did not want to give one up. The next week he picked up a QB for reserve that was worse than the one I had offered. Made no sense.

That sh1t drives me nuts.
login
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jamal32 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:04 pm

My Rules:

1. Let people know you're always willing to deal.

2. Always offer fair value. The point isn't to rip someone off, the point is to upgrade your team.

3. Don't throw in crappy guys (unless they want you to!) Unless your league's full of knuckledraggers, they're usually not going to buy the quantity over quality angle.

I trade way more than anyone in our league (with mixed results ;-D :-t over the years, but what the hell). I figure it beats sorting through waiver wire dreck when you need to try to upgrade and it's more fun...
"I don't think there's anybody in this organization not focused on the 49ers... I mean Chargers."
-Bill Belichick
Jamal32
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:47 pm

I agree with everyone thus far for the most part. My main league is a 250 buyin league and trading used to be tight. But you can find ways to entice anyone and everyone.

Key points include:
Always offer something to help them as well.
Quantity over quality usually doesn't work unless its a really weak team.
Always start with a mid range offer. If you start too low, they might walk and cut off all contact. If you start with your best offer, if it is no good, then you have no where to go. If you start off in the middle, you can always go a little more and make the other owner think they backed you into a corner.

And for those hard to deal with owners, who seem to never trade, I have one method that seems to get results. Just email them saying you are interested in getting so and so, what would it take to make this happen. Most owners will normally say either hes not tradeable or give some sort of offer. Eventhough the offer might be insulting to you, at least you know the value they place on that person, and better yet, who they are interested in from your team.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:51 pm

i do alot of smoozy in my trade hating league...majority vote...alot of smoozy...majority vote sucks ass

i constantly post all types of info on the message board...trying to generate responses to fantasy and random questions.

i call alot of prospective voters and owners...just to say whats up and talk fantasy and life.

i always offer good advice and marginal advice...keep the really good one to myself....."cafe is my little precious."

i mention a couple good websites over the phone.... fantasysportscentral.com

i do everything possible less than chores and sexual favors to build a healthly relationship among myself and the entire league.

always offers rule change proposals for next season...borrowed from this site mostly

started doing a short league-division highlights article...when i have time

man i do a lot to get this league some life into it :-D
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:27 pm

Lack of trading is DEFINITELY NOT a problem in my keeper league:

Kind of unhealthy in a way, but all of the trades were legit.

(Sorry for the page stretch :-o )
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stikmata » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:41 pm

Azrael wrote:It's hard if you are in a league that no one trades much or is averse to trading. My first fantasy league, which I am still in, has never had one trade in the 6 years I've been in the league.

thats pretty lame :-t ... i'd find some other guys to play with.. trades are exciting and make leagues more competitive
stikmata
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk