rookie RBs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

rookie RBs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

rookie RBs?

Postby yoda83 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:55 pm

usually, i try to snag a couple of rookie RBs each draft w/ the belief that every year at least one of them will bust out with a monster season. however, in scanning this year's crop, i'm just not seeing anything worthwhile. the best that i can see is c. brown (TEN), a. pinner (DET) and l. johnson (KC). I'm factoring in talent and opportunity to actually get some meaningful time on the field. i guess my question is, is this right? is this season just a bad year for prospecting rookie RBs? or am i missing something? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

btw, i play in a single season league, so the "keeper" element doesnt really play a role in our drafting.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:04 pm

Yeah, you have good talent in C Brown and LJ, and I think LJ will have a breakout season under Vermeil's system. None of us are sure if Holmes is gonna be their only go-to RB right now...

You may wanna give Justin Fargas a try over in good ole Oakland. ;-D

He's got some fresh legs on an old offensive front

Friendliness: %

Postby Homeless » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:10 pm

I agree with you Yoda, I dont see anyone coming through the ranks this year. I thought LJ had the best chance but ive been reading that Holmes back up wont be LJ but one of their FB's (Richardson)

C.Brown has a great upside in a keeper league but I cant see him amounting to anything this year, steady eddie is tough as nails and should start most games if not all. I perosnally think fargas is buried to deep in Oakland to emerge this year, not withstanding a couple of injuries.

Yep, its a bad year :-t
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby kashikis » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:21 pm

another guy to consider is onterrio smith.

he went to minny and bennet has that nagging foot injury which got operated on this off-season and if it flares up or gets re-injured i could see smith getting the nod

also if your league counts return yds he was the most highly touted return man in the draft and will assume that role right away so you could see some dual usage out of him
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby columbo » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:00 pm

keep an eye on toefield in jacksonville in case taylor goes down. also monitor musa smith in baltimore, he might step in if lewis gets hurt. other than those mentioned, this year's class is pretty dry.
"Listen Columbo, just for a minute how about we stop pretending that I'm brilliant and you're simple!"
columbo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joester » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:24 pm

I would definently keep an eye on musa smith........if lewis goes down he will be a sleeper. He is teh total package size and skill wise.
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tejada » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:20 pm

Hey I agree with all of you, not alot to look at deep. But I am doin my studying and I'm seeing A. Peterson in Chicago poss. taking some carries from A-Train. If A-Train goes off track Peterson is a great blocker, has great hands and above avg. speed. Jauron likes him. I am a Bears fan and am following this one closely.

M. Wiley in Dallas could be a nice sleeper. The O ain't great but he is the front-runner for the starting job as of now.

Last 1 could be J. Chatman in SD. I know LT is solid, but JUST IN CASE he could be good. He played in Division l-AA and had 2,078 yards and 28 TD's in his senior year and has great receiving skills. Fletcher is gone so he is #2 on the chart. If you draft LT get Chatman.

Hope it helps!!!!!
Tejada

Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:20 am

I think the sheer number of names being thrown out (all of which are good suggestions to keep in mind on draft day) prove yoda83's point: not only is the level of talent not quite what it's been recently, but more importantly, there isn't a single rookie RB who is a lock to be his team's feature back. I'm not even sure when the last time was that this happened; at any rate, it's highly unusual.

I still think it's a good idea to pick up a rookie RB or too in this year's drafts, even in non-keeper leagues. With no sure things but quite a lot of possibilities, the balance in a league can quickly tilt toward a team that manages to pick up an eventual starter late in the draft (as happened with Clinton Portis last season). In a year where the focus in the early rounds will be so overwhelmingly on RBs, this effect could be even greater than in 2002.

It'll certainly make for interesting drafts, as owners have to decide just how long to wait before grabbing the Toefields and Petersons...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby t-love » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:09 pm

I wouldnt bite on any of these names unless it was a keeper.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Football Talk