Pat Tillman and the NFL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Pat Tillman and the NFL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pat Tillman and the NFL

Postby e3 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 pm

Okay, so first off all. Moment of silence for Pat Tillman.

RIP.

Next up. What is the latest I keep hearing about Jake Plummer and the Tillman family concerning the 40 sticker that was previously worn by every team?

My friend said that the family only wants the Cardinals to wear it, which I think is dumb personally, but maybe see a LITTLE why they would want that.

We were at the gym and I looked up at the TV to see the news ticker saying something about the NFL ordering Jake Plummer to remove the sticker from his helmet? Especially since Plummer was Tillman's teammate for seven years, he should be allowed to wear it and show his support.

Now if this was you and your family, wouldn't you be happy to see players wanting to keep the sticker on to remind people of the sacrifice that Pat Tillman made? Personally, I would be honored to have as many players as possible showing support for the loss of an incredible individual who was part of my family.

I never really cared for Plummer, but he got a TON of respect from me for this incident by not wanting to take it off, to me it shows that he realizes the sacrifices that Tillman made to serve his country and give up millions of dollars and a child hood dream.

Any thoughts on this?
Do I have the story wrong, if so please post what the deal is, thats why I started this thread, I'm curious as to what the deal is and why the request of the family to remove the stickers.

Thanks guys.
e3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:40 pm

Hey anyone remember that PLUMMER IS A FORMAL CARDINAL? What is the family's problem?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby andus » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:43 pm

If I understand it correctly, it has nothing to do with Tillman's family. The NFL ordered the decals taken off because they're not official uniform. I guess Jake can wear it the whole season if he doesn't mind being fined $5k a week.
andus
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:44 pm

it wasn't the family ,i t was the NFL. they said he would be fined if he wore it. and plummer did play with him in arizona but he also played with him in college. the NFL is wrong here. they are worried about losing control about what players put on their helmets as memorials or for whatever reason.

I for one am very grateful for tillman's and all the others' sacrifice for me and my family. the NFL has really dropped the ball on this one.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby e3 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:49 pm

I agree highly. The NFL should show more respect than what they are doing so currently.

If the NFL was worried about this, why allow the entire league to wear the stickers in the first play.

Very greatful for the sacrifices he made. The NFL should be proud to have a hero associated with their name and allow him to be remembered properly.
e3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:24 pm

THe NFl looks real bad with this. Very classless IMO.

I hope Plummer continues to wear it every game this year and donate the fine money to the Tillman fund.

Really every NFL player should be wearing it for the entire season.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JtotheF » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:00 pm

The NFL claims that allowing the players to cross the line for the "reuired uniform" will open up a can of worms (for example when Johnny Unitas died and Peyton Manning wanted to wear black high-tops) http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0913/1431492.html.

That said, Plummer should be allowed to wear the damn decal. Not only was he a teammate at Arizona and Arizona St., he was a close enough friend to be at Tillman's wedding.

Anyway, Jake's decided not to weat it. http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~2438318,00.html

The NFL gets confused sometimes.
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:02 pm

I posted this same story under Paul Taglibue- Football Nazi. I think this is a shameful act by the NFL. Certainly, they can allow tributes on uniforms, as if one friggin sticker would make a difference. Its stupidity.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Smizzy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:18 am

How could the NFL thinks it's ok to profit off Pat Tillman's name and use his name & #40 to adervtise and promote the NFL but then turn around 1 week later and say the same exact patch they had used the week before for their own gain,is now no longer acceptable and is bad for the game?

If the patch wasn't a distraction to players one week how could it be the next?

I understand the uniform rules and how simple is it for them to say you have 2 choices,wear the sticker or patch,or don't.

WTF does it hurt to let these guys ,who go out and earn billions of dollars for the NFL, wear a patch the represents a fallen NFL player and a soldier?

Did the league wear patches when D.Thomas died? How about Clyde Simmons?

Then what's the big deal?

If im Plummer i tell the NFL to shove it up their ass and to fine me or suspend me,but they would be no chance in hell i took that sticker off or budged on my position.

The NFL needs to rethink their stance on this.
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Diablo13 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:41 am

would be nice if somebody could find a way to get this thread to Tagliaboooooo!!!!!

Let his rich ass know what the (people who matter) think!!!

GOD BLESS TILLMAN< HIS FAMILY< THE US MILITARY< G.W. BUSH< AND THE USA
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk