Coles should have never left the jets!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coles should have never left the jets!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Ajax, son of Telamon » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:42 pm

he'd be a hell of a lot poorer. The Jets never gave him the respect ($$$) that the Redskins did and do.
Ajax, son of Telamon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:21 pm

I don't really understand all the hating going around on Mark Brunell. I've watched all the Redskin's games this year and to me Brunell looks like an above average NFL QB out there. He's making some pretty good reads, He's mobile enough to avoid a pass rush and to get outside of a collapsing pocket, he can make tough throws on the run going in either direction(can't say this for 90% of other QBs), he can throw a bullet, and he knows when to throw the ball away.

Sure Brunell's numbers have not been gaudy, but that's more of the result of the type of offense being run in Washington. The Washington defense is looking very stout this year and several times Washington games have been turning into a battle of field position where one or two solid drives determine the outcome of the game. I'm seeing that Washington is utilizing Portis a little more extensively than they should be, trying to play it safe and opposing defenses are managing to keep his homerun ability in check for the most part. They need to get the ball into Brunell's hands more on first and second down to free up some running lanes and to utilize their WRs a little more, and then people will see what kind of stuff Brunell is made of.

I also believe that a lot of Coles problems can be attributed solely on himself. He's dropped quite a few passes out there and his route running has not looked as sharp as it has been in the past. I've seen Coles limping on occasion and at other times he looks 100%, hard to get a read on exactly what's going on. Quite a few catches Coles has made this year required him to use his athletic ability to haul in the ball, where in previous years he would have simply beaten a defender and made the easy catch. It's tough to say how much that foot injury is affecting Coles, or how much of that is Brunell's reluctance to throw to a talented but well-covered WR. I think in a few more games we'll see if Coles can get comfortable and into rhythm with Brunell and become the primary goto target in that offense again.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Smizzy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:43 pm

Ajax, son of Telamon wrote:he'd be a hell of a lot poorer. The Jets never gave him the respect ($$$) that the Redskins did and do.

Respect?

do you call making him the 2nd highest paid player in the entire NFL last year was respect or overkill?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1733546

He was 2nd to only Urlacher 8-o

Sounds like a great investment to me Danny boy :-t
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:47 pm

I actually think the Jets are better off without Coles. Him leaving prevented them from signing him to a big money contract like the 'Skins did, which wouldv'e pretty much killed their chances of re-signing Pennington long-term and bringing in McCareins.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:50 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:I actually think the Jets are better off without Coles. Him leaving prevented them from signing him to a big money contract like the 'Skins did, which wouldv'e pretty much killed their chances of re-signing Pennington long-term and bringing in McCareins.

Absolutely. Everyone (media and such) were second-guessing the Jets F.O. when they failed to match Washington's offer. They look pretty good in retrospect and have gotten the last laugh so far.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JimmyChoi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:13 am

Smizzy wrote:The Jets don't need Coles and we haven't missed his 1 iota since he left.

F*ck you Coles ,you money hugnry b*tch.....the jets drafted you when everybody else passed on you,you showed how loyal you were.

Amen....it pissed my off when it all went down...but the money we didn't spend on Coles allowed us to ensure Penny will be around...
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:14 am

Kensat30 wrote:I don't really understand all the hating going around on Mark Brunell. I've watched all the Redskin's games this year and to me Brunell looks like an above average NFL QB out there. He's making some pretty good reads, He's mobile enough to avoid a pass rush and to get outside of a collapsing pocket, he can make tough throws on the run going in either direction(can't say this for 90% of other QBs), he can throw a bullet, and he knows when to throw the ball away.

Sure Brunell's numbers have not been gaudy, but that's more of the result of the type of offense being run in Washington. The Washington defense is looking very stout this year and several times Washington games have been turning into a battle of field position where one or two solid drives determine the outcome of the game. I'm seeing that Washington is utilizing Portis a little more extensively than they should be, trying to play it safe and opposing defenses are managing to keep his homerun ability in check for the most part. They need to get the ball into Brunell's hands more on first and second down to free up some running lanes and to utilize their WRs a little more, and then people will see what kind of stuff Brunell is made of.

I also believe that a lot of Coles problems can be attributed solely on himself. He's dropped quite a few passes out there and his route running has not looked as sharp as it has been in the past. I've seen Coles limping on occasion and at other times he looks 100%, hard to get a read on exactly what's going on. Quite a few catches Coles has made this year required him to use his athletic ability to haul in the ball, where in previous years he would have simply beaten a defender and made the easy catch. It's tough to say how much that foot injury is affecting Coles, or how much of that is Brunell's reluctance to throw to a talented but well-covered WR. I think in a few more games we'll see if Coles can get comfortable and into rhythm with Brunell and become the primary goto target in that offense again.

Hallelujah...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk