Stephan Davis-Buy Low or Cut losses? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stephan Davis-Buy Low or Cut losses?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stephan Davis-Buy Low or Cut losses?

Postby gatorman1122 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:17 pm

is it worth it to buy stephen davis now that he's injured and possibly cheap?
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:15 pm

I don't think he's worth very much, it's either going to be an RBBC between he and Foster or he'll get hurt again. Either way, Carolina's offensive line isn't very good so I wouldn't be starting him unless I was really really desperate.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mad benjamin » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:22 pm

I'm still debating on what to do with him. I don't want to sell him too low and get no return on my 2nd pick (seems ludicrous now that I spent a #2 on him). I considered trading him to the guy w/ Foster who will have either possible starter for Kevin Jones, until he got injured and wasn't shown to be producing. Part of me wants to see how my recently acquired Pittman will do and whether or not Davis will retain his starting job. All indications are that he will.

For now, I'm standing pat and waiting to see what happens. Acting too soon could result in an undervalued trade for me and likely not a fair one due to the perception he may not start.

In your case, offer a solid #2 WR for him or maybe offer him to the guy who has Pittman (if it isn't you) where there may be risk on both ends. See if there is a need you could get filled and test the waters. Until his return time is clearer, it may be the best you can do.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

no way

Postby Ajax, son of Telamon » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:33 pm

I won't touch Davis. He's a 30+ injured back with Foster (who is talented) all over his gig. Davis on a downturn might look attractive like Merck, but unlike the stock market, old hurt RBs seldom go back up... buyers beware
Ajax, son of Telamon
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:23 pm

I doubt Davis can hold Foster back for the whole season, especially if he continues to tear it up. Rudi Johnson, anyone?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

stephen davis injury & value

Postby Eric Gagne » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:02 pm

I had stephen and depending on your situation i believe you need to see where you stand for the future. I had duece and he got injured, I have rudi johnson and he is not producing, my wide outs consist or gardner and jimmy smith, so i was in trouble. in need of running back depth, i traded stephen davis for tyrone wheatley and mike pittman. i love pittman because we get points for receptions and he had 74 of them last year, only 2 rb's were better...tomlinson and holmes.

i received mixed reviews from my 12 team league, some said i gave up on him too early, others who think davis is garbage and foster is the future, think i made a good not great deal. running backs are important, people are starting bettis, leonard henry, and emmitt stecker and george in my league, so running backs are important, so to get two players who can contribute was important...i hope this helps.
Eric Gagne
Monday Morning Quarterback

Re: no way

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:05 am

Ajax, son of Telamon wrote:I won't touch Davis. He's a 30+ injured back with Foster (who is talented) all over his gig. Davis on a downturn might look attractive like Merck, but unlike the stock market, old hurt RBs seldom go back up... buyers beware

when you buy low, its always buyer beware... haha

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: no way

Postby mikey » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:02 am

Ajax, son of Telamon wrote:I won't touch Davis. He's a 30+ injured back with Foster (who is talented) all over his gig. Davis on a downturn might look attractive like Merck, but unlike the stock market, old hurt RBs seldom go back up... buyers beware

You hit the nail on the head. Davis isn't that young, and going back to his days in WASH, he's taken a beating (he's a between the tackles runner). I know he's anxious to get back, but that doesn't mean he's ready or going to be effective.

I wouldn't make the investment in in Davis.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:16 am

I had a bad feeling about Davis all offseason, and stayed away from him all drafts. In my main money league, took DeShaun Foster in round 7, and it's paid dividends so far. Someone dropped Davis in that league, so I picked him up (all I lost was David Terrell, so I think it's a worthy investment).

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk