Friday Night Lights - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Friday Night Lights

Moderator: Football Moderators

Friday Night Lights

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:38 pm

anyone else as excited for this as I am? the SI article was one of the best Ive read, and the movie is looking great.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:43 am

I'm gonna see it this weekend.

BBT is a pretty good actor. It was inevitible that he would get his 'coach' movie.

Derek Luke is a great up and coming actor. Biker Boyz may have been lukewarm but his performance was noteworthy likewise in Antwone Fisher.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:46 am

Looks way too overdone for me.

Can't remember the last time I went to a high school football game and saw hits like that...
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:04 am

This movie is going to rock boys. I play high school in suburban Chicago, and just thinking about Permian is unbelievable.
My school was the doormats of our conference for 20 years until 4 years ago, when we made the playoffs for the first time as the last seed in the state. We lost in double OT to the number 1 team in Illinois.
The next two years, we won 28 straight, and back to back state titles.
Last year, my freshman year and first year in the program, we lost in the state semi's.
And now that I'm varsity, we're going back to U of I again! ;-D

Weird coincidence--my school is Prospect, and our helmets have the same exact P as Permian's. We all thought it was pretty sweet.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ibeckhami » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:36 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Looks way too overdone for me.

Can't remember the last time I went to a high school football game and saw hits like that...

...i agree. Also, considering that it's the director of 8 Mile and the fact that i thought 8 Mile was a horrible movie makes me not want to see it even more...
ibeckhami
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:02 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Looks way too overdone for me.

Yah, I thought so too. These guys are flying around flattening people in the commercials like they are Ray Lewis or Lawerence Taylor. Then they had to throw in the required teenage sex scene, because that adds 5 million box office alone. Hey GG, what position do you play?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:42 pm

Looks good, overdone like every other football movie, and the fact that the actor that plays the RB is 30 is off-putting, but apart from that its solid.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:11 pm

Looks awesome. I agree it will be very unrealistic but it doesn't have to be realistic to be a good movie. ;-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:01 pm

I hope it's as good as "Varsity Blues". ;-7
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:50 am

One of the national premier sites for Friday Night Lights is my town. The auther of the book was doing an interview on one of the local sports rap shows and made some interesting revelations, including:

1. He had never been to a high school football game before attending one at Permian High School in Odessa, Tx in researching the book.

2. The book is actually an indictment of big time high school football, instead of glorifying it. According to the auther, the book shows how NOT to run a program, not the other way around. Many people don't get the point, he said. Odessa Permian High School in Texas was the perfect example of overzealous parents, coaches, and boosters resulting in the tremendous conflict found at the intersection of good and evil.

3. The Odessa School District is not complaining about the film only because it seems to be basically what the director had promised ... an action sports film. The film does not necessarily follow the book very closely at all. School district officials would be up in arms if the movie followed the book more closely. Matter of fact, the author was kinda dissing the movie as being more fluff than substance.

:-?
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk