Friday Night Lights - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Friday Night Lights

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JtotheF » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Lushcrush wrote:The book is actually an indictment of big time high school football, instead of glorifying it. According to the auther, the book shows how NOT to run a program, not the other way around. Many people don't get the point, he said. Odessa Permian High School in Texas was the perfect example of overzealous parents, coaches, and boosters resulting in the tremendous conflict found at the intersection of good and evil.

It's a complete indictment of the school and town.

Amazon.com:
Secular religions are fascinating in the devotion and zealousness they breed, and in Texas, high school football has its own rabid hold over the faithful. H.G. Bissinger, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, enters into the spirit of one of its most fervent shrines: Odessa, a city in decline in the desert of West Texas, where the Permian High School Panthers have managed to compile the winningest record in state annals. Indeed, as this breathtaking examination of the town, the team, its coaches, and its young players chronicles, the team, for better and for worse, is the town; the communal health and self-image of the latter is directly linked to the on-field success of the former. The 1988 season, the one Friday Night Lights recounts, was not one of the Panthers' best. The game's effect on the community--and the players--was explosive. Written with great style and passion, Friday Night Lights offers an American snapshot in deep focus; the picture is not always pretty, but the image is hard to forget.

Too bad the movie went "Hollywood." If that was the goal, they should have made it about De La Salle or Long Beach Poly.

I also agree, some of those hits are way over done - the one kid attacking the opposing QB like a Tiger? Hilarious. ;-D
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:03 pm

Well who wants to go see a movie with pussy hits? Not me, I'd like to see more of those Lynch(SP?) and Dante hall hits!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:45 pm

Obviously its gonna be overdone, just like every single movie about anything in the history of the film industry.

I think its gonna be sweet, it has a real cool storyline too it, should be entertaining.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:55 pm

Kinda sucks that they changed the original story... but The 'Cuna will still be checking it out.

Billy Bob Thornton = The Man. ;-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:14 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Looks way too overdone for me.

Can't remember the last time I went to a high school football game and saw hits like that...
Yah, I thought so too. These guys are flying around flattening people in the commercials like they are Ray Lewis or Lawerence Taylor. Then they had to throw in the required teenage sex scene, because that adds 5 million box office alone. Hey GG, what position do you play?

I'm starting at Right Tackle and I'm 2nd team defensive tackle, I usually play 10-15 defensive plays.
Not bad for 5'11", 180. ;-)

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:47 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:I'm starting at Right Tackle and I'm 2nd team defensive tackle, I usually play 10-15 defensive plays.

Congrats man. You must be pretty damn good to start varsity off. line and be that small. I'm 6'3 about 230 and am the smallest lineman on my varsity team. 8-o
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:51 pm

Woah, you are small for an offensive lineman. You are probably faster then the defense then, I would think. Either that or disproportiently strong.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:54 pm

Lushcrush wrote: Matter of fact, the author was kinda dissing the movie as being more fluff than substance.
:-?

Mmmm... fluffy stuff. :-b

Looks like complete crap. :-t
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CC » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:31 am

Saw it last night and had high expectations. It was pretty underwhelming, there wasn't any real plot. It was just a whole bunch of football clips. Add to that the coolest guy in the movie gets hurt and it was a big disappointment.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:15 pm

Flockers wrote:
The Great Gambini wrote:I'm starting at Right Tackle and I'm 2nd team defensive tackle, I usually play 10-15 defensive plays.

Congrats man. You must be pretty damn good to start varsity off. line and be that small. I'm 6'3 about 230 and am the smallest lineman on my varsity team. 8-o

Damn. Our varsity guards are both D1 recruits at 6'5", 290 each (despite our program winning 2 state championships in a row, they are the first guys to be recruited). Our tackles and center are about my size, a little bigger.

And sweetness, its more the speed than the strength. And just blocking smart and always fighting.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk