Friday Night Lights - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Friday Night Lights

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:05 pm

Just got back from seeing FNL. Outstanding.
Great stroy, really inspiring to see how those kids responded, and the fact that it was a true story took it to another level.
Makes me want to do some hittin!
Just remember---BE PERFECT.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IRON CHEF » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:17 pm

Just got back from Friday Night Lights.

Good movie, not the monumental film it was hyped up to be, but it was still very interesting. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of sports movies, not sure why considering I like sports a lot. Movies like Remember the Titans and Hoosiers never really appealed to me.

There were a lot of flaws in the plot and overall dynamics; I can see why someone wouldn't like it. By the way CC I could see Booby's injury coming a mile away.

The Chef's ranking - 7.5 out of 10

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:22 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Saw it last night and had high expectations. It was pretty underwhelming, there wasn't any real plot. It was just a whole bunch of football clips. Add to that the coolest guy in the movie gets hurt and it was a big disappointment.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS WAS AVERAGE if not below average.

The advertising team did an AWESOME job selling it to the public. I was convinced that it was gonna be as memorable as REMEMBE THE TITANS. Not even close. Almost as forgettable as Remember the Titans was memorable, if that makes sense to you.

i did not like how the movie was being FORCE-FEED to the audience. It was constantly in your face and never really seemed sincere to me. IF you have seen remember the titans you will understand the difference between the two movies. RTT(Remember the Titans) built a true sincere relationship between ALL the characters and the audience. I was very touched by RTT. FNL(friday night lights) was extremely fake and pointless. The portrayal of the HS and city was pitiful.

I definitely knew the movie was a overhyped and dumb because the audience was clapping. After the movie i realized it was full of young people 14-18, im 25. All of them were saying that is was the best movie ever and they loved it. This signaled to me that the TV commercials completely brainwashed these fools. If you want to see a movie deserving of a best movie ever moniker. "SHAWSHANK REDEPTION" not that its my MOST FAVORITE FOREVER.

No offense to you young guys. But my point is that younger people are more impressionable that someone who is over the age of 22. Myself included thats how i came to this conclusion. I was once your age obvioiusly.

back to the topic, Im glad i have a friend who works at the movie theater who is a manager, TRANSLATION: i did not pay to watch the movie. IF I DID I WOULD BE PISSED.

i dont reccomend it. I would consider myself a movie buff.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:49 pm

Being a football fan, I don't think you could dislike the movie.
I understand UNDEFEATED's point, to some extent. Still, I wouldn't be disappointed if I paid to see the movie (which I did). I still enjoyed it.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ironhorse75 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:47 pm

You know, if Michael Mann did a football movie, this is how I would have expected it to be.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:27 pm

Kids today don't have a clue what a good movie is.

"AVP was awesome!"

"Did you see "Win A Date with Tad Hamilton?" That was such a great movie"

"Oh, man, Up The River is so funny"

Meanwhile, you ask them if they have seen Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Caddyshack, Animal House, Gladiator, etc. and they just say "what is that" or "those movies suck". The fact is that the people though FNL was the greatest movie ever probably used to think "Varsity Blues" was the greatest movie ever.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Just got back from the movie. I thought it was pretty damn good. I understand why some people didnt like it, but like GG said, i think any big football fan would like it. Also, i know it was based on a true story so they didnt have much of a choice, but it was nice to see and original ending, kind of refreshing.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:46 am

Nice picks SWEETNESS

"BATTLE ROYAL" this movie is nuts....Japanese Movie...Where a 7th grade class is randomly chosen through a lottery...They are drugged by the military and forced to kill eachother. Last 7th grader standing gets to walk away...

In this time kids are all disrespectful to the point where this lottery is a yearly event. This lottery is a big event used to teach other chidren some respect.

Once they get on the island GPS necklaces are placed on their necks with small explosive built inside the necklace. The FORTY kids have three days to kill eachother. Their weapons are randomly placed in backpacks. Knives, Guns, Cross bow, Grenades, shotgun, uzi, pot and pans, you guys get the idea.

There is obviously a lesson to each kids death. Clicks form some don't fight. Others go crazy. They turn on eachother. Oh man this movie is great.

My Friend showed it to me and I am hooked. I must have shown it to 50 different people all by myself. I have a "battle royal" t-shirt and people at clubs and on the street recognize it and constantly ask where i bought it. Amzingly Girls always stop to talk to me about it.

Another side point, i read a Quintin Tarantino article and he said that his favorite movie of the year up to the date of the article is BATTLE ROYAL. I saw this after i watched the movie. DOWNLOAD or go to your local video store. I think blockbuster has it but its the AMERICAN CUT less violence but you will still get the point.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Shvitz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:41 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:Nice picks SWEETNESS

"BATTLE ROYAL" this movie is nuts....

psst....it's Battle Royale

And the book is infinitely more consuming. Not a bad movie but I'd rate the book over the film.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken
The Shvitz Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:01 am

Thanks for the tip on Battle Royale fellas - Ill go check it out soon.

Ill wait until FNL comes out on video - not that much of a rush to run out and see it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk