Running Wild - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running Wild

Moderator: Football Moderators

Running Wild

Postby Slingblade » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:05 pm

You want fantasy nuggets and fantasy nuggets you shall receive.

For instance, did you hear about the Dolphins’ plan to use Ricky Williams even more in 2003?

That’s right, his league-leading 1,853 rushing yards just weren’t enough to get the Fish into the playoff pool. Nope, Ricky’s 383 carries and 47 receptions weren’t enough to justify his sizeable salary. Yep, the Dolphins need even more from their signature player.

Settle down, Fish fans. There was plenty of sarcasm in that diatribe, but in all sarcasm there is some degree of truth. Even faithful Fish fans have to admit it’s incredibly lame for a team to waste one of the best rushing seasons the NFL has ever seen.

But I am not here to solve the Dolphins’ problems. Oh no. That’s why Dave Wannstedt is styling a brand new Benz while I roll in a ‘95 4-Runner. So let’s get right to Wannstedt’s juicy quotes about Williams.

“Unless he's tired, he's not coming off the field,” Wannstedt told the Palm Beach Post of his plan to use Ricky on “every” third down.

Sorry, Travis Minor.

Condolences, Robert Edwards.

Congratulations, Ricky owners.

“Anytime we can put the football in Ricky Williams' hands, throwing it to him or handing it to him, or kicking it to him, it doesn't make a difference,” Wannstedt continued. “However he gets the ball, he gives us a chance to win.”

So lemme get this straight. If 430 touches weren’t enough to give the Dolphins the requisite chances to win last season, how many will it take to get Miami to the top of the mountain in 2003? 450? 500?

Williams, who has averaged 402 touches the past two seasons, certainly looks capable of touching the rock 500 times. And according to Wannstedt, now that Ricky has fully adjusted to the climate in south Florida, he should be in even better shape this season. (Uh, Dave. You don’t need contrived excuses to overfeed your workhorse; just do it.)

Feed Ricky just two more handoffs and one more dump-off per game, and he’s up to 478 touches. By the way, if Ricky indeed carries the ball twice more per game, he would finish with 415 attempts and break Jamal Anderson’s record of 410.

Ricky had 2,216 total yards last season. If Wannstedt’s plan comes to fruition and Ricky holds up for 16 games, Marshall Faulk’s record of 2,429 total yards is in serious jeopardy. Plus, after scoring 17 times a year ago, Ricky could be on his way to the rare 20-score plateau.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:14 pm

i think ive seen this somewhere....
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:28 pm

ya ive seen this too.. good news for ricky owners.. unless they overwork him :-o
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:39 am

Yup, I posted this yesterday or earlier today.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:49 am

I posted this info a week ago...before any of you did...so...HAH!
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby VIPER » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:53 am

Guttpuppy wrote:I posted this info a week ago...before any of you did...so...HAH!

Ya gotta wake up EARLY to beat the "Big Dog" to his bones!! 8-o
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thee all » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:15 pm

Good ole ricky.

Just hope all the touches dont get him hurt 8-o
When the player hits the dirt there's no sound quite like
The way the linebacker slams him to the turf monday night
thee all