No respect for the Tight Ends - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

No respect for the Tight Ends

Moderator: Football Moderators

No respect for the Tight Ends

Postby iceman88 » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:28 pm

For some reason, when it comes to fantasy football, the Tight End position is often overlooked.

I feel this is one of the more important positions on a fantasy football roster. If you draft an elite tight end, say a Gonzalez, Shockey or Pollard, they have the capabilities of equaling the points scored by a receiver, depending on the scoring system.

The main problem is that an elite tight end is hard to come by, so you have to know who they are and in what round you should draft one. I wouldn't say draft a tight end before your number one receiver but it is conceivably possible that a Gonzalez or a Shockey can score you as many points as a number two receiver. Just something to consider.
iceman88
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Endzone Express » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:45 am

This subject has already been discussed on another thread or two, but last season only Heap, Gonzo and Shockey scored over 100 pts (in most scoring systems) and the next 7 TE's all scored between 75-95 pts a piece.

Futhermore, Heap's 123 points would have tied him for 29th place if he were ranked as a receiver and he, not Gonzo or Shockey, lead all TE's last season.

I would not recommend drafting a TE before the 5th round this season, as the field is getting much tighter at this position. ;-D
[img][/img]

It is a special time and a special place... where young men go in search of fame... each sharing a common goal: To Win A National Championship!

There is NO PLACE like NEBRASKA!
Endzone Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:45 am

The trouble is, as you pointed out, there arent that many that qualify as a stud, or at least will put up similar numbers to your #2 WR.

Now sure if you can land one of the top 4 TE's then you in effect get a chance to have a guy who can put up 20 points in a week, which could be the difference between a win and a loss, but if you have taken a top TE instead of a WR or god forbid a RB, then you could well be hurting.

Sadly in the majority of leagues there is always someone who will draft a TE way too early because his name is Gonzo or shockey etc. :,-(
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:54 am

There is no top 4 TEs.There are 3 then there is a huuuge drop-off.I drafted a TE waaayyy earlier than I wanted to but it's all about your overall team,not what position you draft or what round.Go for what you know and grab who you want...as long as you can bring it all together.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:13 am

I guess if you look at it that way, then Gonzo really stands out alone at the top, with heap, shockey and franks next. (In no particular order)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:30 am

Gonzo is lucky to get a top 3 this year...def not #1.

Franks production dropped off with the GB offense last year...he's a distant #4.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:47 am

Guttpuppy wrote:There is no top 4 TEs.There are 3 then there is a huuuge drop-off.

This is exactly right.
30 years ago, a TE was a 3rd receiver.
In today's NFL, most are just a 6th lineman blocking for the QB and, at most, an emergency "dump-off" guy when the play breaks down.
Sure, you can overpower your opponent with one of the top 3 TEs, but, still, you're not talking that many points.
My take? NO way I'm taking a TE early. So, I take one dead last, and take my lumps (usually just a few points each week).
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:10 am

Guttpuppy wrote:There is no top 4 TEs.There are 3 then there is a huuuge drop-off.I drafted a TE waaayyy earlier than I wanted to but it's all about your overall team,not what position you draft or what round.Go for what you know and grab who you want...as long as you can bring it all together.

i have to agree wit da pup here. i've been criticized for taking te's and def's earlier than most would have, but i think it's just part of how you play the game. if you can still throw together a competitive team no matter where you draft a person, then where's the problem. i think it's more of a personal take on drafting myself...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:10 am

Guttpuppy wrote:Gonzo is lucky to get a top 3 this year...def not #1.

hehe how could I not take this bet. Im for Gonzo being #1 again, see you at the end of the season GP :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hayesb26 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:38 am

Gonzo will be #1 this season.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk