No respect for the Tight Ends - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

No respect for the Tight Ends

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby t-love » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:09 am

I don't know how in the world you couldn't put him in the top 3.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

rebuttal to tight ends

Postby iceman88 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:17 am

There are some valid points made. However I think the tight end position is more important than that of defense or kicker.

I would suggest taking a QB, RB, and WR (or any combination) in the first three rounds but if you have the opportunity to draft a TE in round four or five, especially a Gonzo, Shockey or Heap caliber TE, it is a nice compliment to any team. Tight ends can make a difference in a win or loss throughout the season, and most times one win, or loss makes the difference in making the playoffs or not.

Who are some of your all's picks for sleeper tight ends this year?
iceman88
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:01 am

I'm very high on Billy Miller (in spite of Joppru's presence); he may not put up quite the numbers of the big names, but he'll be undervalued in many drafts this year.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thee all » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:03 pm

Hmm, (not a sleeper te comment)

I think at first an elite tight end sounds better than a 2nd WR...as in some games they will be able to put up more fantasy points.

HOWEVER, in the long run, a good 2nd WR is always better than ANY TE. Just look at the nice stats Endzone Express pointed out...
WR's are simply better Fantasy players any day. I know it is wise to take a top 3 TE, but don't just take one to avoid having a crappy TE. Two great WR's and a crappy TE score more pts than a great WR and a great TE, TRUST ME...

Good pts by everybody, and Arlo great sleeper pick with Miller... ;-D
When the player hits the dirt there's no sound quite like
The way the linebacker slams him to the turf monday night
thee all
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby joester » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:31 pm

Randy McMichael should be a top 6 or 7 TE this year and he can be had in like the 9th round
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:37 am

Slowkidz wrote:
Guttpuppy wrote:There is no top 4 TEs.There are 3 then there is a huuuge drop-off.I drafted a TE waaayyy earlier than I wanted to but it's all about your overall team,not what position you draft or what round.Go for what you know and grab who you want...as long as you can bring it all together.

i have to agree wit da pup here. i've been criticized for taking te's and def's earlier than most would have, but i think it's just part of how you play the game. if you can still throw together a competitive team no matter where you draft a person, then where's the problem. i think it's more of a personal take on drafting myself...

put me in this group. once all the #2 wrs are about the same, i wouldnt shy away from taking a top te and still getting one of the remaining #2 wrs with ur next pick.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:35 pm

you can get a top 10 TE off the wire
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thee all » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:46 pm

exactly.
When the player hits the dirt there's no sound quite like
The way the linebacker slams him to the turf monday night
thee all
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Endzone Express » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:10 pm

Slingblade wrote:you can get a top 10 TE off the wire

Well Slinger, I don't know about the waiver wire... but last season there was only a 48 point difference between the #1 TE and the #10 TE, in an average scoring system. The difference between #4 and #10 was only about 20 pts. Not much when you average it out over a season. Like the "Dog Father" said...

The Dog Father wrote:There is no top 4 TEs. There are 3, then there is a huuuge drop-off... it's all about your overall team,not what position you draft or what round. Go for what you know and grab who you want... as long as you can bring it all together.

I just don't think that the drop-off after #3 is as "huge" as it has been in years past. With all the young, new TE's arriving on the scene, the fantasy depth at TE this season might be the best ever. Bottom line... I think that you can draft a quality TE in rounds 5-10 in any 12 team league! So build your nucleus and choose your TE, when you think the time is right! ;-D
[img][/img]

It is a special time and a special place... where young men go in search of fame... each sharing a common goal: To Win A National Championship!

There is NO PLACE like NEBRASKA!
Endzone Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk