WHAT were they thinking ? Chiefs that is - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WHAT were they thinking ? Chiefs that is

Moderator: Football Moderators

WHAT were they thinking ? Chiefs that is

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:13 am

Notable Offseason Moves: What were the Chiefs thinking when they used their first-round pick on halfback Larry Johnson? Were they thinking at all? After all, we are talking about a team that surrendered a league-high 390 yards per game last season. Their biggest need position was linebacker and solid prospects like Nick Barnett, Boss Bailey, and E.J. Henderson were available when the Chiefs used the 27th pick on LJ.

General manager Carl Peterson and head coach Dick Vermeil must think we’re all naïve. Sorry, guys, but those of us blessed with read-between-the-lines vision cannot see the logic in drafting a halfback (from Penn State, no less) when you already have arguably the league’s top running back and definitely the league’s worst defense.

The Johnson reach flies directly in the face of quotes from Peterson and Vermeil, who have claimed throughout the offseason that Holmes will be ready for training camp despite undergoing arthroscopic hip surgery in late March.

Really?

Then why take Johnson?

Sorry, Chiefs fans. I have no choice but to a) call Peterson and Vermeil “liars” and b) downgrade your boy Holmes. I need to see Holmes rock and roll before I get back on his bandwagon, but something tells me we won’t see him until the regular season—or whenever.

The Chiefs did take measures to upgrade that pitiful defense via free agency, signing linebacker Shawn Barber, defensive lineman Vonnie Holiday, and cornerback Dexter McCleon. However, they still have a long way to go.

Possibly the best move of the offseason was locking up quarterback Trent Green for the next seven seasons. Green was scheduled to receive an $8 million roster bonus that would have been a salary cap nightmare, so the team gave him $50 million overall and $11.25 million guaranteed. Green isn’t the most consistent quarterback in the league, but he’s a helluva lot better than free agent alternatives like Jake Plummer, Jeff Blake, and Kordell Stewart.

Position Battles: Money says the Chiefs’ starting wide receivers are Johnnie Morton and Eddie Kennison, but production says otherwise. There probably won’t be any depth chart swings this summer, but don’t be surprised if Marc Boerigter and/or Dante Hall put lots and lots of heat on the starters.

Oft-injured youngsters Sylvester Morris and Snoop Minnis probably will find themselves battling for the fifth and final receiver spot. Where’s Yatil Green? We need him to join this epic training camp battle.

Every starting position in this offense is set, but because he’s new to the league, Johnson may have to battle third-year player Derrick Blaylock for the right to back up Holmes. The job probably goes to Johnson, but coaches said he had lots to learn after a recent minicamp.

Keep an Eye On: Um, how bout Holmes’ hip?

We all want to see him in action this summer so we have a better idea on draft day, but like I said, the Chiefs are likely to keep us in suspense well into September. Bastards.

That’s cool with me, though, because there are about 15 other backs that would look great in my starting lineups.

In addition to watching for a Holmes’ sighting, I’ll get out my microscope to see if I can spot what’s left of Morton’s game. After catching 77 balls for 1,154 yards with Detroit in 2001, Morton plummeted to 29 catches for 397 yards in year one as a Chief. I’m still trying to figure out how that happens.

Let’s say for the sake of argument that Holmes won’t be ready for the opener. I want to see how the Chiefs distribute touches between Johnson (or Blaylock) and Tony Richardson. Before Priest was Priest, Tony had value in TD-heavy leagues because he had a nose for the stripe.

Lastly, I want to see if Morten Andersen, who is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery, is getting length on his field goals. If he’s missing 40-yarders in the preseason, I want nothing to do with him.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:21 am

piggybacker!! lol :-B

i posted most of this in the KC Division...hmmmm.... :-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:13 pm

"Most" Most dont cut it brudder LOL

Seems I piggy backed you twice today :-o :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:17 pm

shhhhh!!!!!!!

don't be sayin stuff like that around here!! what are you thinking?!?!?! :-o
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby DUKE » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:53 pm

That's enough of that "piggybacking" talk.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:41 pm

DUKE wrote:That's enough of that "piggybacking" talk.

He started it ! :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:46 pm

and here I was gonna say nice read
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Re: WHAT were they thinking ? Chiefs that is

Postby Enoch » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:41 pm

Homeless wrote:

Lastly, I want to see if Morten Andersen, who is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery, is getting length on his field goals. If he’s missing 40-yarders in the preseason, I want nothing to do with him.

I am keeping my eye on Anderson as well, If he can't get it done- I will drop him fast
Enoch
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk