Strahan.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strahan.

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:16 pm

Strahan Says He "Has A Lot Left In The Tank"

Daryl Slater
Richmond Times-Dispatch
06/27/2003

Michael Strahan's nine-month sleepover party is finally over.

On Monday, the New York Giants defensive end returned to his 22,000-square-foot Georgian brick Colonial mansion on Lloyd Road in Montclair, N.J. He and his wife, Jean, had stayed in a neighbor's carriage house since August while the Junior League of Montclair- Newark - a charitable organization - refurbished Strahan's turn-of- the century pad.

"I'm only in one section of my house," said Strahan, in town to speak at the Colonial All-Pro Football Camp at The College of William & Mary. "I won't be fully back in for another five months."

By then, Strahan, a gregarious and gap-toothed Giants stalwart, will be three months into his 11th NFL season. He's hoping to give his career a face-lift - much like his house - in its latter stages.

Strahan has started every Giants game the past four seasons. He had an NFL single-season-record 22 1/2 sacks two years ago and 11 last season.

"I have a lot left in the tank," said Strahan, 31, who signed a 7- year, $46-million contract extension with the Giants in September. "My body doesn't have a lot of wear and tear."

His home, meanwhile, was shredded by workers who transformed it into a showcase.

The Junior League charged visitors $25 each to tour Strahan's renovated house, which features antique appliances and 12 bedrooms, including one wallpapered in Strahan's likeness. The organization will use proceeds to help needy families.

"[Moving out] wasn't bad, because I wasn't around the construction zone," Strahan said. "My wife handles most of that during the season, so I'm fortunate to have a good woman to take care of me."

The Giants already have. Though they drafted a defensive end (Osi Umenyiora of Troy State) in the second round of this year's draft, Strahan's long-term extension means he'll likely spend the rest of his career with New York, which drafted him out of Texas Southern in 1993.

He'll rank as the second-longest tenured Giant - behind 12-year vet Keith Hamilton - when the team opens training camp on July 24 in Albany, N.Y.

Yesterday, Strahan addressed about 150 slack-jawed campers.

He told them he studied running back Herschel Walker while growing up on an Army base in Mannheim, Germany, where his father, Gene, was stationed.

He recalled how he didn't play organized football until his senior year of high school, which he spent in Houston.

"These kids were like, `Wow, this is Michael Strahan,' " he said later. "I'm like, `Man, I've gotta go home and take out the garbage and walk the dog.' "
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:33 pm

Im a HUGE fan of Strahan, i'd love nothing more than to hang out with him for a few beers and some football chat. :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Return to New York Giants