The Broncos running back bubble has finally burst - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Broncos running back bubble has finally burst

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:43 am

A number of things bother me in discussing DEN's running situation.

- Small RBs are more injury prone. That theory has been repeated ad nausem in this discussion as it pertains to QGriff. The fact of the matter is that is total BS. There is absolutely no statistical proof that small RBs get injured more - its simply not true. In fact - just the opposite has been proven through historical data: larger RBs are more injury prone. Please, please, please do not let people get away with repeating such a fallacy - there is simply no correlation between smaller RBs and injuries.

- Why isnt anyone discussing Alex Gibbs? He is the architect and teacher of that highly touted OLine in DEN. Remember its the system not the players? That argument was widely accepted as fact, and now its being either abandoned or ignored. Does the system still exist without its creator and caretaker? Take a look at the top rushing team in the NFL after 4 weeks: ATL leads the league by almost 20 rushyds/game. Gibbs is their new Oline coach. Is it a coincidence? DEN is sitting at 18th overall in rushyds/game.

- Im not going to argue that strength of opponents defense doesnt have a factor in these numbers, but aside from JAX, DEN hasent faced truly elite Ds either.

The whole QGiff v. Bell argument seems to me to be split between people who drafted Bell and those who drafted Griffin in preseason. Obviously both sides are scrambling to prove their RB is the better one to have. Its quite amusing more than anything, and since all of it is nothing more than optimistic speculation on both sides of the fence, hardly any of these discussions are actually helpful.

Sorry - just had to get that stuff off my chest.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:46 am

Q Griffin doesn't have the mental makeup to succeed in the NFL. He's too tentative. He seems almost scared to fumble the ball. Bring on Tatum.

Remember the Simpsons' character named Drederick Tatum? That guy was funny.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:42 am

cornbread...you are exactly right about alex gibbs...this guy is a legend and his blueprints are being showcased by two teams the Broncos and Atlanta...

atlantas game on sunday vs carolina...dunn sits out the game after totaling 76 and 1 TD.

Duckett steps in after not a single carry the game before and posts 63 and a TD.

Whatever MR BLANC is paying him is worth it ....And Jim Mora is a GENIUS for bringing ALEX GIBBS
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:51 am

The thing that is most interesting to me in the Gibbs/ATL/DEN topic is that Gibbs is known not only for the system, but more so his COACHING of players. When he left DEN he left his sytem of course - but it seems to me that they are badly missing his ability to teach the players. Is the DEN running game dynasty over already? Its a real possibilty. Just something to think about.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rohbshop » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:38 pm

first of all you Q doubters were saying he would get injured because he was too small so dont go gloating since he hasnt gotten injured yet from being too small. He twisted his ankle which has nothing to do with size, and Shanahan said he was walking fine and will likely play coming sunday.

I bet you doubters didnt know Q got the game ball last sunday? he carried something like 14 times for 57 yards in the 4th qtr, and more importantly Shanahan wanted to get that fear of fumbling in crucial situations out of him which he did to some degree.

You Tatum Bell lovers make me laugh. He hasnt shown anything yet, if anything Shanahan criticized him very subtlely before their last game for a thumb injury or something. I dont know where you people think hes all of a sudden going to take over just because he was drafted in the 2nd round, people who watch college football always overrate NFL rookies. Have fun holding on to him till the end of the year and realizing he never was considered for their featured back role unless Q and Hearst ended up out for the season. That would be best case scenario for Tatum Bell. Otherwise, if Shanahan lost faith in Q, he'd platoon all of them. Regardless, Tatum didnt show me anything when i watched him in preseason and the few carries hes had. Definitely not more than Q.

Bottomline is Shanahan determines the Broncos RB, and he seems to wholeheartedly support Q. Doesnt talk much about Hearst, and doesnt seem to be too happy with Tatum. At least in St Louis you have Martz saying he needs to get S. Jackson some carries, havent heard anything like that from Shanahan regarding Tatum. So good luck Tatum owners, your going to need it to get value out of him this year~
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:08 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
- Small RBs are more injury prone. That theory has been repeated ad nausem in this discussion as it pertains to QGriff. The fact of the matter is that is total BS. There is absolutely no statistical proof that small RBs get injured more - its simply not true. In fact - just the opposite has been proven through historical data: larger RBs are more injury prone. Please, please, please do not let people get away with repeating such a fallacy - there is simply no correlation between smaller RBs and injuries.

- Why isnt anyone discussing Alex Gibbs? He is the architect and teacher of that highly touted OLine in DEN. Remember its the system not the players? That argument was widely accepted as fact, and now its being either abandoned or ignored. Does the system still exist without its creator and caretaker? Take a look at the top rushing team in the NFL after 4 weeks: ATL leads the league by almost 20 rushyds/game. Gibbs is their new Oline coach. Is it a coincidence? DEN is sitting at 18th overall in rushyds/game.

;-D

Great stuff here, two of the main things that had been bothering me as well and one of the reasons I targetted Dunn in most of my drafts.
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Gilbert Brown's jock » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:27 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:- Why isnt anyone discussing Alex Gibbs? He is the architect and teacher of that highly touted OLine in DEN. Remember its the system not the players? That argument was widely accepted as fact, and now its being either abandoned or ignored. Does the system still exist without its creator and caretaker? Take a look at the top rushing team in the NFL after 4 weeks: ATL leads the league by almost 20 rushyds/game. Gibbs is their new Oline coach. Is it a coincidence? DEN is sitting at 18th overall in rushyds/game.

Makes perfect sense to me and is exactly the sort of stuff I suspected but was too stupid to know.
Gilbert Brown's jock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingJ » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:13 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:
Gilbert Brown's jock wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:you're a half empty glass kind of guy...

Not sure what you mean by that comment. I do know that the Broncos have a very average QB and an ordinary set of receivers and need to have a consistent 100 yarder carrying the ball for them if they want to make the playoffs.

Jason Elam and their defense will win games for them but overall that won't be enough without a decent option at RB.

half-empty=pesemistic

half-full=optimistic

dictionary.com if you need it.

pesemistic - ?! Pese=pea Mistic=small sailing vessel
Small pea-shaped sailing vessel?

Half-empty= pessimistic.

Dictionary.com if YOU need it. :-)
KingJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:02 pm

KingJ wrote:
UNDEFEATED wrote:
Gilbert Brown's jock wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:you're a half empty glass kind of guy...

Not sure what you mean by that comment. I do know that the Broncos have a very average QB and an ordinary set of receivers and need to have a consistent 100 yarder carrying the ball for them if they want to make the playoffs.

Jason Elam and their defense will win games for them but overall that won't be enough without a decent option at RB.

half-empty=pesemistic

half-full=optimistic

dictionary.com if you need it.

pesemistic - ?! Pese=pea Mistic=small sailing vessel
Small pea-shaped sailing vessel?

Half-empty= pessimistic.

Dictionary.com if YOU need it. :-)

oops my bad...BTW im not here to patrol spelling but its nice to know that you are the NEW SPELLING MODERATOR KINGJ... :-t

edit upcoming
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cbrowns » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:32 pm

Good posts cornbread, and that green Mcnabb dude. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the following: Tatum was active for the game, but got zero carries. Ruben Droughens got 8 carries. Does that worry tatum owners ? I happen to own tatum, but I have almost zero hope for him now. Oh well. I'm still going to hold on to him, but I don't think we have Portis the sequel on our hands.
"60% of the time, it works all the time!"
cbrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk