League Controversy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League Controversy

Moderator: Football Moderators

League Controversy

Postby Johnnyo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:30 am

I play in a regular Yahoo league, but we get to keep 3 players each year. This year we decided to have a rookie draft, where you could draft 3 rookies, and protect them, and they would not count as one of your keepers as long as you didn't activate them. We had no plausible way of doing this on Yahoo, so we all agreed that we would put the rookies our rosters, BUT if they are activated than you must drop a player from your active roster (because rookies aern't considered on that roster until you play them). We all agreed to police ourselves on this issue, and we agreed that there would be "SEVERE" consequences to those who violated this rule.

Well, this week my opponent violated this rule, and it actually made the difference between winning and losing. He had picked up Abraham, which put him over his max roster. He won by .5 points, and Abraham scored a TD and that is what won him the week.

I do no think that it is fair that he is "rewarded" for breaking the rules. I think that he should be awarded an automatic loss, or should at least have the points by Abraham disqualified. Others (who are only looking out for their own interests) simply think that he should just lose a draft pick. Whats is your opinion?
Johnnyo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:21 am

Since it seems like an active league with managers who actually care, I would take away Abraham's points. He broke the rules and should have to pay the "severe" penalty which the league discussed. It's pretty piss poor that he would use a guy that is not supposed to be on his roster IMO.
When in doubt, punt!

- John Heisman -

JRM4833
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 28)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:28 am

Lose Abraham's points.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FF Newbie » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:51 am

Definitely he should get a big, fat ZERO for Abraham's spot in the lineup. To suggest that he should keep the points and the win and lose a draft pick is ridiculous. Maybe lose the points AND lose a draft pick, but there's no question whatsoever that the points come off the board.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DanDigital » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:18 am

It seems to me that in your league you are allowed to activate rookies as long as you drop someone else. I don't see why he should lose Abraham's points as a consequence, when the only consequence for starting Abraham BEFORE the game would have been that he had to take a player off his roster. Seems to me that some people are just bitter that he won, but unless you stated UP FRONT that illegally activating a rookie would result in negating that rookie's points, it is unfair for you now to go back and retroactively define the "severe consequences" you referred to.
DanDigital
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby HunglikeChampions » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:24 am

If I udnerstand, in order for that rookie to be active, a player would need to be dropped first. SO, if he did not drop a player FIRST, then the rookies points should not be allowed because he was not activated properly. I agree with everyone else that his points should not count. There are rules, and he did not follow them whether he forgot or whatever. That player should be deemed ineligible.
HunglikeChampions
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:28 am

He should lose the points and also the game. Rules are rules. But your leagues system seems like a headache to deal with. You guys may want to simplify things down the line somewhere.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FF Newbie » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am

Dan, the rest of us aren't in his league. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't say I'm exactly "bitter" over the incident.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:55 am

Too many men on the field...

I agree that Abraham's points shouldn't count, but whatever you decide in this case, make sure you clearly define what the penalty will be should a situation like this occur again.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 pm

I actually just stumbled across this message...And since I'm the league commish for this league I feel like I should give an update on the matter since johnny didn't.

Here's what happened:

This rule is pretty basic and johnny explained it pretty well already. And the SEVERE penalty was clearly define as a loss for that week in an email sent out before the season even started and before we even had a rookie draft. Everyone agreed so it has to be enforced....rules are rules. And believe me it was truely a mistake on the one owners part and there is not a doubt in my mind he would have still had the same roster and won that week had he realized his mistake. But because he was over the roster size he had to lose the week. And no one was bitter he won. It's just that he won after breaking a rule of the league. And even if he had won by more points then Abraham got him I would have given him a loss for that as well.

And him losing a draft pick wouldn't have done anything for the loss johnny recived. And thats why it had to be a loss for the week. He is actually the only guy who has broken the rule so far and he actually did it again this week but quickly dropped the player he picked up before he played his games. It's a shame and I felt bad for taking his points away but if he would have done it again it would have been much easier because of the stupidity factor.

Also, if any of you have a suggestion that would make this simplier then I would very much appreciate your input.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk