Very odd year so far... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Very odd year so far...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Very odd year so far...

Postby bungle613 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:51 am

I am in 4 competitive leagues and 3 yahoo public leagues. My record in the competitive leagues...13-3 with 2 undefeated teams. My record in the Yahoo's.... 5-6-1. I'm getting killed by the FF morons (or so I thought) who took Culpepper and Moss or McNabb and TO in the first 2 rounds. Then grabbed TIki or Martin in the 5th... this shouldn't be happening. Very frustrating to watch great teams killed every week by teams that would normally be 1-3.

Just a rant.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Very odd year so far...

Postby cbaron12 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:38 pm

bungle613 wrote: I'm getting killed by the FF morons (or so I thought) who took Culpepper and Moss or McNabb and TO in the first 2 rounds. Then grabbed TIki or Martin in the 5th... this shouldn't be happening. Very frustrating to watch great teams killed every week by teams that would normally be 1-3.

Ummm...what makes you think that Moss isn't a top pick. He's always out-performed RB's. In the past few years in my yahoo league he's been in the top 5 point makers.

He's definately worth a first round pick.
cbaron12
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: Very odd year so far...

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:53 pm

cbaron12 wrote:
bungle613 wrote: I'm getting killed by the FF morons (or so I thought) who took Culpepper and Moss or McNabb and TO in the first 2 rounds. Then grabbed TIki or Martin in the 5th... this shouldn't be happening. Very frustrating to watch great teams killed every week by teams that would normally be 1-3.

Ummm...what makes you think that Moss isn't a top pick. He's always out-performed RB's. In the past few years in my yahoo league he's been in the top 5 point makers.

He's definately worth a first round pick.

hes saying these guys took both of them.. like moss 12st, cpepp 2nd or vice versa.... in otherwards poiting out the guys that dont knot how valuable RBs are, and lack FF knowledge.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cbaron12 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:58 pm

what I'm saying is that they DO have ff knowledge. RB's aren't always the best choice in every situation. Some FF leagues have different settings. I think catching a ball is harder than running into a gap so I would set a league up for a higher recieving value than rushing....

You just gotta know how your league is setup.
cbaron12
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:35 pm

Well im pretty sure Bungle knos how his league is setup better than you do. So if he says that The Cpepp Moss combo and the mcnabb owens combo was crazy, than im sure it was. Esepcially considering in leagues with standard scoring, not taking a RB in the first two rounds is basically screwing your team over for the year.

P.S. "running through a Gap" is alot harder than just catching a ball, considering a RB gets tackled about 20-30 times a game. This is coming from a WR.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cbaron12 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:42 pm

WR's get tackeled just as much.

If they're owning in the league...they must have done something right...

Have you ever caught a football while dodging DB's flying at you, and then actually run it in similar patterns as RB's?
cbaron12
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:49 pm

cbaron12 wrote:WR's get tackeled just as much.

If they're owning in the league...they must have done something right...

Have you ever caught a football while dodging DB's flying at you, and then actually run it in similar patterns as RB's?

Wrs catch from about 2-10 balls per game.. so they get tackeld about 1-10 times.
Rbs run about 15-30 times per game... so they get tackled about that many times.

They are "owning" that league after 4 weeks, because guys like mcnabb have had monster starts, but will cool down soon. If i drafted a team of guys like mcnabb, t jones, c martin, r caldwell, a johnson etc id be owning my league, but it wouldnt last.

And yes ive had to make big runs, and make difficult catches.. are you trying to argue that WRs take as much of a beating as Rbs do? IF you are, you have no idea what football is like... i am the #1 receiver on my team, i get the most looks, and i get hit about 1/3 as much as my Rb does. its the same on any balnced football team.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bungle613 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:26 am

Just to clarify. This is the standard public Yahoo leagues with standard scoring. And yes, I've been involved in FF long enough to know that taking WR/QB in the first 2 rounds of a 10 man league is doom. This is not a normal year. May work itself out but with the injuries to the #1 backs or just underperforming... alot of us are getting killed by teams that should be in last.

As for the argument that was spawned from this about RB vs WR. GLG... I am completely on your side. 15-30 touches a game for a RB not to mention blocking assignments. These guys take a massive beating. A hit laid on a WR may look mroe spectacular onthe highlight shows but it isn't even close to the punishment a RB takes.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FF Newbie » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:59 am

In Yahoo! public scoring, grabbing a Moss/Owens and CPepp/McNabb/Manning in the first two rounds is a very viable strategy. QBs score killer points in those leagues. And then I would make sure I got a good defense in round 5 or 6.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Monty » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:37 am

cbaron12 wrote:WR's get tackeled just as much.

You're kidding right?

Even IF the WR caught 10 balls in a game (which is pretty rare), they still run patterns where they are able to get out of bounds before a tackle is made... It is a lot tougher for a RB who usually runs up the middle to get out of bounds.
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting