This just in.....get Moe Williams now!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This just in.....get Moe Williams now!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

This just in.....get Moe Williams now!!!!

Postby Favreboy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:04 pm

Onterrio Smith was handed his suspension today... 4 games starting this week, Michael Bennett has recently re-injured his knee and according to the Vikings he will be out another 2 weeks, so that leaves Moe Williams as the only back for the next couple of weeks....pick him up if he's available right now
Favreboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:05 pm

dude your late.... :-D
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Im actually picking up MMoore - not Moe. Reports out of MIN have said Moe is injured too and that Moore will more than likely see the majority of touches unless Moe comes back quicker than expected - even then it will be a RBBC with Moore so that Mow doesnt reinjure himself.

SEAN JENSEN, Pioneer Press wrote:As if that's not enough, Vikings coach Mike Tice lamented that veteran Moe Williams strained his left calf Thursday, the same injury that sidelined him during the preseason.

"So we had a tremendous day as far as our running back situation is concerned," Tice said. "But good news is on the horizon; Herschel Walker is going to come out of retirement and start for us this week."

That joke bolstered Tice's attitude toward these setbacks. He's emphasized the quality of the Vikings depth, and he's highlighted running back as one of the team's deepest positions. And despite all the injuries, Tice added that he's still comfortable with the team's depth because the coaches still debate which players will be inactive every Sunday, something that didn't happen in recent years even when the Vikings were far healthier.

Rookie Mewelde Moore took the bulks of the snaps with the starting offense Monday, even though Smith practiced, and Larry Ned is expected to play, too.

"You have to plan like he's not going to be there," Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said of Smith, "instead of 'We hope, we hope.' "

Besides, the Vikings aren't optimistic that Smith will be available Sunday. Williams, though, is another story. Although he'll be listed as questionable, Williams is confident he'll play against the Texans.

"It's mind over matter," he said. "I don't mind playing hurt, so it don't matter."

If healthy, Williams likely would start before giving way to Moore, who will get most of the playing time. The Vikings, however, are hopeful Williams can handle third-down passing situations. The Vikings are also contemplating whether to elevate Butchie Wallace from the practice squad.

"This is a great opportunity for young guys," Linehan said of Ned and Moore. "Never underestimate when a guy gets a shot because they usually give it their best."

;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:06 pm

I like it. I just snagged Moore, and heard that Williams did not practice today because of the calf.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:14 pm

This is a situation to watch closely because Moe Williams' injury is not that severe. He was quoted in the Star Tribune saying that he would play this weekend. Tice wasn't as confident. Grab them both if you can afford to.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bucswinitall » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:44 pm

I'm expecting Williams to get more carries, although I do think he'll share with Moore. Williams has a nose for the endzone and if he hadn't been injured this year he would have been the gl back. Even if Moore gets more carries, I expect to see Williams make a strong push to maintain that role and I'm betting on a TD from him to back that up.
bucswinitall
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:55 pm

bucswinitall wrote:I'm expecting Williams to get more carries, although I do think he'll share with Moore. Williams has a nose for the endzone and if he hadn't been injured this year he would have been the gl back. Even if Moore gets more carries, I expect to see Williams make a strong push to maintain that role and I'm betting on a TD from him to back that up.

See, I completely disagree with this. I really dont think Moe Williams is really that great of a RB at all. I think he has been the rescipient of great situations in MIN the last 2 yrs where he stepped up from his career bench position to fill a need near the goalline.

Im sorry Im so negative on him, but I think its more of a reaction to people actually thinking he was a good RB and had big fantasy value heading into the season. I remember reading an interview with Moe last yr where he basically said how grateful he was that this opportunity presented itself, how honored he was to get so many carries last yr, but he also said he knew his role and realized he would be relegated back to the bench when the real RBs got back from injury but that he will do his best until then. Of course that was a summary and Im not going to go back and link the article, but the point is the same - Moe Williams is a career backup and special teams player. Period.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Moe

Postby Dave Millar » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:08 pm

I agree Moe Willaims is at best a career backup - lucky for him the Vikings need a backup right now - i say Moe gets more work than Mewelde
Good coaches win, great coaches cover!
Dave Millar
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:18 pm

Yeah, if you are really hurting for a back this week, I'd pick up and play Moore. He should see quite a bit of action.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Tbones » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:50 am

Would you play Moore over Griffen or Suggs this week?
Tbones
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk