TO/Sharpie Charity. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

TO/Sharpie Charity.

Moderator: Football Moderators

TO/Sharpie Charity.

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:44 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Terrell Owens was only looking for a laugh when he pulled a pen from his sock and autographed a football in the end zone.

When Greg Stoner noticed the brand name on that pen, the vice president and general manager of Sharpie knew he was looking at an opportunity.

Owens' stunt in Seattle last October became a defining moment for the San Francisco 49ers' controversial All-Pro receiver. Many were amused when he caught a touchdown pass, autographed the ball and presented it to his financial adviser in the front row -- but others, including many Seahawks, called it poor sportsmanship.

Oddly enough, the brouhaha also sparked one of the most serendipitous athlete-sponsor relationships in recent history between Owens and the makers of Sharpie pens.

On Tuesday in Atlanta, Owens' adopted hometown, the receiver and the pen-makers will begin a nationwide charity campaign bringing money and supplies to schools -- all thanks to Owens' choice of writing instruments.

"When this all started, I was just having some fun with the game," Owens said. "But now I have the chance to make a difference with kids in my hometown and all over the country."

This unusual partnership didn't happen immediately. Owens' stunt was the talk of offices nationwide on the Tuesday morning after it happened -- and Sharpie's Chicago headquarters were no different.

"I'm a huge football fan, and to get this type of exposure in this way was phenomenal," said Stoner, who hadn't been watching the game, but quickly heard about it. "It was all the buzz around the water cooler. It got us on every sports show, every talk show in the country, and we thought we should take advantage."

Owens hasn't signed a formal sponsorship deal with Sharpie, which also dabbles in limited sponsorship agreements with NASCAR driver Kurt Busch and several PGA golfers -- but the company certainly hasn't wasted its good fortune.

Said Stoner: "You could have never anticipated the amount of buzz that would come from this event. We certainly didn't, but I think we've turned it into something positive."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:35 pm

now THATS funny... i bet not even TO expected all this from a little pen...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:17 am

I think its great, made me laugh a LOT when he did it, though i wish he had given the ball to a kid. This makes it even better though.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:16 am

at least he's doing something positive! ;-D
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby kashikis » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:31 pm

TO moves up on the morality charts a notch or two
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: TO/Sharpie Charity.

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:54 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:Said Stoner: "You could have never anticipated the amount of buzz that would come from this event."

look!...a "stoner" talking about a buzz?!?!...lmao!

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby t-love » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:24 pm

Everything TO does is common knowledge a half hour later.
t-love
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 8)

Return to General Talk