The word on Ahman Green - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The word on Ahman Green

Moderator: Football Moderators

The word on Ahman Green

Postby Warpigs » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:12 am

In all the discussions here at the Cafe, one running back is mentioned very little, yet has the potential to be pretty outstanding. Wanted to get feedback on Ahman Green predictions for the season. You have to admit that he can put up some monster numbers, and with all the Favre retirement talk, it would seem that maybe the squad will pull out all the stops this year in an attempt to get Favre one more ring before he hangs up his cleats. Someone has to help keep the pressure off Ferguson, and Green is known to snag a decent amount of bullets from Favre. What makes Green so interesting is that he will wind up being drafted near the end of the first round or early second round, even though he has the potential to put up better numbers than many of the players that will go in these rounds. I personally am predicting a sleeper-type surprise for many from Green.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:21 am

IMO, Green is a good RB, but his injuries scare me a lil too much. Add the fact that GB has spent the offseason bringing in some extra RB talent and now we can watch Green's stock fall. He will prolly go around late first rnd in most drafts. He has the potential when he's healthy and he is horrible when he's hurting. Like other owners last year, I got burnt when his knee kept acting up. I expected a lot more out of him, but ah well what are you going to do. I'll let this report from TSN say the rest...

Ahman Green - RB, Green Bay Packers June 23, 12:44 p.m.
Last year’s recurring knee injury should have you a little concerned about Green, especially because Green Bay seems to have plenty of able replacements. Green is a first-round talent when healthy, but don’t be surprised if the Packers try to lighten his load with help from Najeh Davenport and Tony Fisher.
Fantasy Spin: Green is still a No. 1 back in most leagues, but get a good backup. (Jason Langendorf/TSN)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Homeless » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:24 am

Its all about that dodgy knee of his. I had him on one of my teams last year and he was a major let down.

I do agree with you that he COULD make someone a very nice late first round pick this year, but you need to have a little bit of a gamblers heart to take him.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Cliff Harris » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:28 am

Believe me, he's no bum. But I'm not real high on him or the Packers either. Defenses will bring the noise against Green because I don't think the Pack has any receivers to take the heat off the run. Favre will still try to make Favre-like plays, but it will hurt the team in the long run (ie: less scoring opportunities for Green due to an increase in interceptions). And Seattle must have seen something in him that they didn't like or he'd still be in Seahawk country.

Green was great for a couple years because the team was great. Now he'll be just decent because the team is just decent. Maybe grab a Tiki Barber, Stephen Davis or even Jamal Lewis at a much better price and probably come out ahead of the game.
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:31 am

1300 yards rushing, 650 yards receiving, 10 TDs in 14.5 games.

He was on my team last year, and I got the vibe that he would have played a lot more if GB didn't run away with the division. Hopefully they'll have more competition this year and they'll keep Green on the field.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:44 am

We'll have to see. A lot can happen in an offseason, and Green could be coming back at full speed. I know that I would draft him over a Jamal Lewis, for example. While I really like Lewis, his offense is horrible. There are no real receivers to take the heat off the running game and the Ravens could be under the leadership of a rookie QB as early as the first game of the season. Opposing defenses would be stupid to not just pancake Lewis and keep some coverage on Heap. That being said, I agree that there are a decent amount of backs that I would take over A. Green, too.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Homeless » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:03 pm

Thats a good point 9er, he was rested a lot at the end of last year because as you say, GB had it wrapped up.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Ahman Green

Postby Paulrosik » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:12 pm

Its hard to get too critical of a guy who had near 1700 total yards and 9 touchdowns while being gimpy most of the season. But as a top 5 pick Green was a disappointment last year. Green Bay will still score points in their weak division and Favre could throw to my son and still find a way to make completions (27 td's and 16 int's last year on his own gimpy knee and all new receivers) so the opportunities will be there for Green. But how much of a workhorse he can be is definitely in question. As a late first round pick or even better as your second back he's a steal, but Green is no longer a top 5 guy.
Paulrosik

Friendliness: %

Re: Ahman Green

Postby Poobah » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:48 pm

Paulrosik wrote:Its hard to get too critical of a guy who had near 1700 total yards and 9 touchdowns while being gimpy most of the season. But as a top 5 pick Green was a disappointment last year. Green Bay will still score points in their weak division and Favre could throw to my son and still find a way to make completions (27 td's and 16 int's last year on his own gimpy knee and all new receivers) so the opportunities will be there for Green. But how much of a workhorse he can be is definitely in question. As a late first round pick or even better as your second back he's a steal, but Green is no longer a top 5 guy.

Welcome to the Cafe, Paul, and I think you're right on. The biggest reason for the disappointment is that Green was being touted last year as high as a top 3 back. Now, we've discussed that "first-tier" or 6-8 backs. I think Ahman Green, Corey Dillon, Edgerrin James, Tiki Barber and Fred Taylor are all "second-tier" guys who could produce first-tier numbers and not surprise me a bit. I hope it's Green and Dillon, because I have them both in my keeper league ;-D
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Endzone Express » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:03 pm

I think Paul and Poobah are right on!

To me Green is a "tweener"... he's got the talent and ability to be a top 5 back if he's 100%... but even when he's dinged up a bit, like last year, he's still going to outproduce most all other backs. He's just plain fast and scary in the open field... I wish he would overcome his passion for "hitting" LB's and DB's in the open field and run away from them... he'd get dinged less!

I' be happy to get him with picks 7-12, and if he makes to round 2 he's a huge steal! ;-D
[img][/img]

It is a special time and a special place... where young men go in search of fame... each sharing a common goal: To Win A National Championship!

There is NO PLACE like NEBRASKA!
Endzone Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk