Anyone's Yahoo waivers set up this terrible way? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone's Yahoo waivers set up this terrible way?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone's Yahoo waivers set up this terrible way?

Postby Yellow Dog » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:48 am

It's a custom Yahoo league that I joined through a friend. So I have the 5th pick, and I get shut out of my choices Zeroue and Pinner. That's fine, but then I look at the transaction list and see the same kid picked up both! I thought for sure there was a bug in the system or something went wrong.....in 9 years of Fantasy Football playing I have never once seen a league that allows this.

So I look in the rules, and find this gem....

---------------
Waiver priority is determined in reverse order of the league's
standings. Under this option, all waiver claims will be processed based on the league's standings will no rolling effect. This allows teams lower in the standings to successfully claim multiple players.
---------------

So I write the commish and he says that the league is this way on purpose cause guys last year quit when they were in last and couldn't improve their teams enough through 1 pick on waivers. So they all voted to do it this way to give the last placers more of a chance at overall improvement through waivers and thus there will be no dead teams.

I'm just wondering if anyone could possibly think this is a good way to do things.

Thanks, I feel better for venting on that.
Yellow Dog
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bowie » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:17 am

It would probably be more fair if the picks reset according to the standings each week, but then rolled during the week. I am not sure, however, that Yahoo has that option.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:04 pm

I think waivers in general are a shame.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:14 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:I think waivers in general are a shame.

Yea, but most teams have them. If you must have waivers, I like the default yahoo set-up, where it starts off in reverse order of the draft, but the rolls (as teams pick) for the rest of the year.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:35 pm

Alot of leagues are set up this way, in general at least where the last place team gets 1st waiver priority that week.

What doesn't make sense is that they stay 1st in your league no matter what. After the last place team uses their waiver priority that week, it should roll and their waiver priority should go to the end, and then be reset again next week.

Basically, the guy in your league should've gotten one of the players he put in a claim for, but not both.
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Yellow Dog » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:59 pm

Thanks, guys.

As I said above, he claims they set it up this way because the league voted on it, to give the crappy teams more of a chance to improve themselves. Last year they had guys quitting early because just one waiver pick wasn't enough to improve their teams, so they now have free reign to pick until they are satisfied every week.

So right now I lucked into two early wins, followed up with two losses puts me right in the middle of the waiver pack. This is a bad spot to be in with this system.
Yellow Dog
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby petedog9 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:43 pm

Waivers suck!!! In our league the free agent period opens at 8pm Tuesday evening and its a free for all. Makes it fun to beat guys to the punch then laugh at them and wind up trading those guys to them. Its a race and the guys who are there at 8 get rewarded.....Early bird gets the worm!!!!! ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

another method

Postby spodog » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:08 pm

Waivers are troublesome in general.

Our league uses a "blind bidding system" From Monday Midnight to Wed Midnight of each week, owners can submit silent bids for players that are available as free agents. These bids can be of any amount of money, but each owner has a cap for the season that they have to stay under.

This is REAL money, so if they have the high bid as of Wed at midnight, then they get the player and they submit that amount to the league, which goes into the prize fund. The guys who bids $1.00 at 6:00 AM loses to the guy who bid's $15.00 on Wednesday at 10:00 PM.

The system works really well, and it does not favor Losers (like the reverse record systems) and it does not favor goons who happen to be on their computer in the middle of the night waiting for a wavier period to start.

It favors owners who want to put their money where their mouth is!

You should try it.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: another method

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:20 pm

spodog wrote:Waivers are troublesome in general.

Our league uses a "blind bidding system" From Monday Midnight to Wed Midnight of each week, owners can submit silent bids for players that are available as free agents. These bids can be of any amount of money, but each owner has a cap for the season that they have to stay under.

This is REAL money, so if they have the high bid as of Wed at midnight, then they get the player and they submit that amount to the league, which goes into the prize fund. The guys who bids $1.00 at 6:00 AM loses to the guy who bid's $15.00 on Wednesday at 10:00 PM.

The system works really well, and it does not favor Losers (like the reverse record systems) and it does not favor goons who happen to be on their computer in the middle of the night waiting for a wavier period to start.

It favors owners who want to put their money where their mouth is!

You should try it.

looking at that, it is a pretty sweet idea.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Anyone's Yahoo waivers set up this terrible way?

Postby ramble2 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:35 pm

Yellow Dog wrote:It's a custom Yahoo league that I joined through a friend. So I have the 5th pick, and I get shut out of my choices Zeroue and Pinner. That's fine, but then I look at the transaction list and see the same kid picked up both! I thought for sure there was a bug in the system or something went wrong.....in 9 years of Fantasy Football playing I have never once seen a league that allows this.

So I look in the rules, and find this gem....

---------------
Waiver priority is determined in reverse order of the league's
standings. Under this option, all waiver claims will be processed based on the league's standings will no rolling effect. This allows teams lower in the standings to successfully claim multiple players.
---------------

So I write the commish and he says that the league is this way on purpose cause guys last year quit when they were in last and couldn't improve their teams enough through 1 pick on waivers. So they all voted to do it this way to give the last placers more of a chance at overall improvement through waivers and thus there will be no dead teams.

I'm just wondering if anyone could possibly think this is a good way to do things.

Thanks, I feel better for venting on that.

I'm in the same boat. My opponent for this week processed 3 waiver pickups before any of mine had a chance to get processed. Not a huge deal, but they did pick up Arizona's D with their 3rd waiver action - for whom I had put in a waiver request (dropping Gannon). I have SEA D, so it's not a big loss, but it will give them a boost they may otherwise not have gotten.

The most frustrating thing is that we each have the same record! My team has scored about 150 more points, but still ...

Anyhow, I'm with you. I think it's a crappy waiver set-up.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk