When is Jamal Lewis' Suspension going into effect?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When is Jamal Lewis' Suspension going into effect??

Moderator: Football Moderators

When is Jamal Lewis' Suspension going into effect??

Postby Nobodies Business » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:51 am

Will his suspension be effective immediatly??
Nobodies Business
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:55 am

Read today in the Baltimore Sun that Lewis' lawyers will fight any NFL suspension due to the fact this incident occured while he was not employeed by the NFL.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:59 am

IF it happens it would most likely start on Oct. 24th

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-ravens-jamal&prov=ap&type=lgns
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:44 pm

Yeah, looks like he'll play this week, and any suspension would kick in following the bye in week 6.

Supposed to be 2-to-4 weeks, and I've read that he's got a good chance of getting the smaller hit because A) the 'incident' happened before he signed an NFL contract (though after he was drafted) and B) he's already served a suspension in 2001 as a two-time offender of the drug policy, and negative tests since then suggest he's 'cleaned up his act.'

There's certainly fodder there for his lawyers to appeal the suspension altogether, but I don't see the NFL backing off on this.

Because of this, I've seen a couple reports that suggest Lewis will consider bagging the appeal, jump right into the suspension to get it out of the way, then be ready to roll unburdened for the final 7-9 weeks of the season.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:17 pm

this is a serious issue...I'd like for the NFL to suspend him 8 weeks.
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:33 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:this is a serious issue...I'd like for the NFL to suspend him 8 weeks.

This is ridiculous (not your comment, the whole event). These charges are based on an event that happened 5 years ago while he was in college. I don't condone what he did and the courts should handle it in whatever manner they see fit but it seems ludicrous the NFL will suspend him for something that happened while he was in college.

If this case had been completed while he was in college than this wouldn't be an issue. How fair would it be if your boss walked into your office tommorow and said hey we're suspending you for a month w/o pay because of something you did in college?
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:37 pm

Amazin--But look what he is guilty of...it's such a serious offense that it can't be ignored. If it were merely drug poss or theft, yeah, I can see your point....but he was innvolved in some harsh drug selling sh*t. Also, to expand on your point, why should the Law even care now, hell it happened 4 years ago...right?
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby big dawg 99 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:42 pm

I agree that he shouldn't be suspended. I know his track record isn't the best but he has been clean for over 3 years and has worked hard to make a better reputation for himself. This incident happened in college so why in the world would the NFL suspend him when he never had a contract with them? If anything I think his behavior the last 3 years should speak for itself. He was young and stupid but has learned his lesson and shouldn't be punished for it.
big dawg 99
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:17 pm

ive known someone to get fired for having done a crime before getting hired, and then being convicted. Companies often see that as putting a bad 'face' if you will on their company. Instead of dealing with all the negative publicity they handle its the easiest way they can. The nfl won't fire jamal from every playing again, but you could see where they would want to repremand him so as to make themselves look more reputable.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:18 pm

Let's forget all crimes that happened in college.

Whew!
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk