When is Jamal Lewis' Suspension going into effect?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When is Jamal Lewis' Suspension going into effect??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bwzabodyn » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:22 pm

He definitely needs to be made an example - drug abuse in the NFL (and all professional sports for that matter) has reached an all-time high and it is tarnishing the reputation that many players before them have established... I really hope they suspend him for the remainder of the season after their bye week...

What kind of a role model is he when all you hear during MNF is pertaining to his "legal woes"?
Formerly bzabodyn (over 1000 posts) - but I was deactivated!!! Poop on you!!!
bwzabodyn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Titan33 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:24 pm

big dawg 99 wrote:I agree that he shouldn't be suspended. I know his track record isn't the best but he has been clean for over 3 years and has worked hard to make a better reputation for himself. This incident happened in college so why in the world would the NFL suspend him when he never had a contract with them? If anything I think his behavior the last 3 years should speak for itself. He was young and stupid but has learned his lesson and shouldn't be punished for it.

He hasn't been clean - he has 2 strikes against him from the NFL. One more new charge and he'll be the offensive version of Dale Carter.
Titan33
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:41 pm

does the nfl have "character clauses"? I think they do.

The average fan is not aware of this distinction.

What the headlines say is "NFL Star pleads guilty"

The conviction/plea occured while he was an nfl player, and that does carry some weight.

ps ... good luck fighting it.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:11 pm

The average fan is also not aware that LT, the NFLs poster boy of good ethics, was indicted (or maybe just arrested) for possession of MJ in college. He was dropped of charges, as it was pretty obvious he didnt do anything, but if the average fan hears "Drug Charges? Well, of course he got off, he;s famous..."

When you are famous, you are guilty until proven innocent. And even then, you will be doubted... (want proof? OJ. I think he did it too, but HE was proven innocent)

It is possible Jamal didnt do it...I've heard from Ravens fans i know (word of mouth very unreliable, i know) that the evidence they have on him is kind of weak... anyone have that info?

But my point is, Jamal is probably plea bargining to avoid a long, arduous trial that would probably cause him to miss a few games in addition to his suspension (Billick was making threats that he would be benched through the duration of the trial). I'm not sure, but isnt it possible to plea bargin with a plea of "no contest"? I know Amazinz* was saying something about it in an earlier post...

And as a J-Lew owner, I hope he doesnt have suspension... :-o

*Edited to spell correctly...
Last edited by no1cowboysfan on Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tomkatt » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:18 pm

no1cowboysfan, I heard that Jamal didn't want to gamble with his career. If it went to trial, and he was found guilty, he was looking at a minimum of 10 years in prison.... or obviously the duration of his football career.

Everything I'm hearing is that his lawyers are preparing to fight the NFL when they announce his suspension. I too am a Jamal owner. If he gets a 2 game suspension, I can live with that. I was prepared for him missing that for the trial. Anything more, and I'm probably going to regret taking him #5 overall (after our keepers.)
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Crushem » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:46 pm

well Ray Lewis Killed someone and we let that go.....
QB Bulger, McCown
WR T. Owens, T Glenn
RB Alexander,Julius, T Jones, C Brown
TE A Gates
K Rackers
DST Baltimore
Crushem
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:58 pm

this creep is guilty....the NFL MUST act on this! Send a message, tags! (yeah, I own Chester Taylor) ;-D
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:04 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:this creep is guilty....the NFL MUST act on this! Send a message, tags! (yeah, I own Chester Taylor) ;-D

Yeah, I'm sure being a Steelers' fan has nothing to do with it. :-? :-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:this creep is guilty....the NFL MUST act on this! Send a message, tags! (yeah, I own Chester Taylor) ;-D

Yeah, I'm sure being a Steelers' fan has nothing to do with it. :-? :-D

yup ;-D
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:13 pm

and Tags should set an example....you know, for the kids of America
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach