Who has better upside, Carr or Bulger? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who has better upside, Carr or Bulger?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who has better upside, Carr or Bulger?

Postby shockandawe_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:07 pm

I'm in a keeper league and have been posed this question. Your deep analysis is appreciated.

...we know what Bulger can do- the question is, will Carr be even better?
shockandawe_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:14 pm

Bulger is an average to slightly above-average starter. Carr has far more upside in a keeper league, and may even end up being a better play this year. I would also argue that the Rams' receivers have maximized their potential. That is not the case in Houston.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:19 pm

9er Fan wrote:Bulger is an average to slightly above-average starter. Carr has far more upside in a keeper league, and may even end up being a better play this year. I would also argue that the Rams' receivers have maximized their potential. That is not the case in Houston.

I agree. Based purely on "upside", Carr seems to me to have the most room to grow between the two. I don't think Bulger has peaked, but he's closer to hitting the plateu than Carr.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:46 pm

I agree with the arguments. I think Carr does. We haven't seen what all he can do. Johnson is a stud in the making, and that team is going to get better and better.

Carr is breaking out this year too.

Call me crazy, but if you are looking longterm for the Rams, I would look at Jeff Smoker.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shockandawe_ffc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:05 pm

the most intriguing part about Carr is his scrambling abilities. I think he's a much better athlete than Bulger but I haven't seen him run with the ball much this year.

Do you guys see him more as a Manning in the pocket type of passer or as a Elway type of QB with more goal line rushes?
shockandawe_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mudd » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:08 pm

This one's easy! Carr for sure. There really isn't ANY upside to Bulger, he's as good as he's going to get. On the other hand, Carr could become an elite QB before he's done.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:47 pm

Ummm Bulger IS an elite QB, hes probably one of the top QB's in the league fantasy-wise(probably just right below Peyton and Daunte). I guess it depends on your scoring, but no team throws more than the Rams. No offensive system is more QB friendly than the Rams. No coach will boost the stats of your QB more than Martz. The Rams offense has been tearing teams apart in the air, they just havent been able to score. Then idiots like Tom Jackson from ESPN(dumbest analyst in football) try and criticize Martz for needing balance when what their doing is working. ITs their defense that cant keep other offenses in check. I dont know why people dog Bulger all the time, but hes as good a QB i've seen play this year. Hes exceeded or come close to throwing for 300 yds in every game until the last one where they sat on the ball the whole 2nd half, and he had like 170'sh yards at the end of the first and was passing at will. If your league is yardage based, then Bulger should be in the top 3-4 QB's in the league. If its a keeper league, i believe the Rams just signed Bulger for another 4 yrs or something.

Carr shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as Bulger imo. Mostly because of system, and i'd argue Bulger is a better QB by far. I'm shocked people are rating Carr ahead of Bulger, but this site isnt the best imo when it comes to getting advice :-P
Last edited by rohbshop on Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mudd » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:51 pm

Player____________ Att Cmp Yd TD Int Rate Att Yd Avg TD Recpt Yd Avg TD FL FPTS
Bulger, Marc QB STL 139 96 1101 4 2 96.2 3 24 8.0 1 0 0 0.0 0 2 76.0
Carr, David QB HOU 107 69 1003 4 4 91.8 21 103 4.9 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 69.0

7 more points makes one elite and one should "not even be mentioned in the same sentence"?

Check your facts!
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:59 pm

i'm talking about overall potential and play, and taking into account for the rest of the season or even after that. If you want to judge everything by 3 to 4 games, be my guest but thats naive. I wish we could really put down cash and side bets with each other here, since i'd be willing to bet my bank account Bulger will have much better numbers by the end of the year, so long as he doesnt get injured. People just dont seem to realize how much the system of a team means in terms of fantasy, and no 'system' is more QB friendly than the Rams.

besides if you read some local articles, you'd have read that Bulger is alot more familiar with the Rams playbook this year than last year, Martz has been praising him all preseason for that. Bulger is probably the most underrated QB in the league, i'm not sure why, but way too many people sleep on him for some odd reason.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:03 pm

rohbshop wrote:Ummm Bulger IS an elite QB, hes probably one of the top QB's in the league fantasy-wise(probably just right below Peyton and Daunte).

How many TDs and INTs did Bulger have last year? That would be the same answer! 22!

Kitna, Brooks, Brad Johnson (!), Brady, Garcia, Favre, Green, McNair (plus all the big guns...Manning, C-Pepp, Hass) had more fantasy points (std yahoo) than Bulger last year.

Just below Peyton and Daunte, right? Make that below all those guys above too. Add the fact that Turley is out and I can't believe someone would say Bulger is an elite QB...
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk