Who has better upside, Carr or Bulger? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who has better upside, Carr or Bulger?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:05 pm

Rohbshop wrote:
this site isnt the best imo when it comes to getting advice

I disagree with this statement completely. And I also disagree with many things you said in your above argument. I see several QBs that are better than Bulger.

Here is the list:
Manning
Culpepper
McNabb
Hasselbeck

There are other ones that are borderline as well. Vick, Green, Penny...depends.

The question was who had the most upside. It was not who is better right now. I think there may be a few more Bulger picks if that was the question. In a keeper league, I would love to have one of the big 4 above, but if I couldn't and I had to choose I would choose Carr. It would be a far better value pick.

It would be hard for me to say and believe you that Bulger is a great fantasy QB with 4 tds, in 4 games.

If Bulger is as good a QB as you "have seen" this year as you say, I suggest turning your Rams off and watching a different game.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mudd » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:06 pm

rohbshop wrote:besides if you read some local articles

Oh, I get it, a Rams fan.

Look, you can say whatever you want and get all emotional about it, but the title of this thread is "Who has better upside?" and the obvious answer is Carr
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:21 pm

look, i'll be blunt. This site has so much bad advice its not even funny. I tried to write a post about it but the mod deleted it, now i just read and laugh at some of it. Its full of overreactors like the ones posting in this thread.

As for his 22 interceptions last year, he didnt know the offense nearly as well as he does this year. Like i said, read some local Rams articles where Martz and Bulger will discuss it. No, i dont live in ST Louis nor am i a St Louis fan, i live in MD actually. So lemme clue you in, the best news you can get is by going to local paper sites and reading what the coaches and players have to say. I regularly read local team newspaper sites for info, because you'll learn stuff that most non local people dont know. Thats where most of the main sports news comes from, in fact many will link local papers as their source.

What leagues are you people in? If theyre open money leagues, let me know, i'd love to get in especially if most of the people in your league think the same thing ;-D
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:28 pm

umm did i just not say Bulger was signed to another 4 years or something? What has Carr proven or what exactly are you basing how great hes going to be off of? how many games again? Keeper league or not, none of these QB's we're discussing are as old as R. Gannon or beatup as B. Johnson.

I also want to emphasize its all about the system. The Ravens will always have good fantasy running backs because they emphasize the run. Just like the Rams will always have good fantasy QB's because they emphasize the pass. This is like the A, B, C's of fantasy, and how you give a QB from Houston more upside than one from the Rams makes no sense.

Look at his yardage, not just TD's, but even still Bulger should have more TD's. I'm positive his numbers will blow Carrs away by the end of the year, so keep this post bumped and one of us can gloat at the end of the season. Hows that sound?
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:40 pm

rohbshop wrote:look, i'll be blunt. This site has so much bad advice its not even funny. I tried to write a post about it but the mod deleted it, now i just read and laugh at some of it. Its full of overreactors like the ones posting in this thread.

As for his 22 interceptions last year, he didnt know the offense nearly as well as he does this year. Like i said, read some local Rams articles where Martz and Bulger will discuss it. No, i dont live in ST Louis nor am i a St Louis fan, i live in MD actually. So lemme clue you in, the best news you can get is by going to local paper sites and reading what the coaches and players have to say. I regularly read local team newspaper sites for info, because you'll learn stuff that most non local people dont know. Thats where most of the main sports news comes from, in fact many will link local papers as their source.

What leagues are you people in? If theyre open money leagues, let me know, i'd love to get in especially if most of the people in your league think the same thing ;-D

Whatever... If you are saying you know of a more comprehensive place to talk fantasy football than the cafe, then I gotta tell you that you've proven yourself to be either sorely misguided or a complete liar, already...

Yes, some opinions that are given here are incorrect (like Bulger is an elite QB anywhere near Culpepper in studliness), and some people suffer from chronic homerism, and simply cannot admit that their hometown team might not supply stud fantasy players at every position (see King Titan aka Steve_Mac9)... That's true... BUT, for the most part you will not find a finer group of fantasy football owners that are willing to share their insight anywhere else on the web... This place consistently provides good results, and only very rarely will you run into consistently bad advice (if you listen to cafe regulars)... Any topic that you might want to talk about has been hashed and rehashed here, and most always every possible take on the situation has been examined at length....

Are we always 100% accurate everytime? NO... Can we make your decisions for you? NO... Can we lay out thousands of hours worth of research and provide you with advice and solutions that will most likely help you improve your fantasy teams? Certainly...

On the topic of Bulger v. Carr.... I think we've seen what we are going to see out of Marc Bulger... We know what he's all about... If you are content with 12-18 points a week with the occasional 25-30 point spurt a couple of times a season, then Bulger can provide that... But, Carr is just now finding his rythm and we are just now beginning to see what we can expect out of him... He might be very Bulgeresque, or he might blow up and be a top 6 guy.... There is just no telling... What we do know is that he has the talent and the tools around him to be an elite QB, now we just have to wait and see if he can put it all together.... I think that's the definition of upside - potential... And I think Carr is just beginning to realize his, whereas Bulger has maxed his out... So, I'd have to say David Carr has more "upside."

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fern » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:40 pm

rohbshop wrote:look, i'll be blunt. This site has so much bad advice its not even funny. I tried to write a post about it but the mod deleted it, now i just read and laugh at some of it. Its full of overreactors like the ones posting in this thread.

Okay buddy, if this sites so bad why don't you go somewhere else. You sound like someone who takes advice and if it doesn't work out you blame it on who ever gave it you, I got news for yea, grow some balls and take responsibility for your own team. This site has as good of info as any site, you just gotta weed through the bad and find the good, like on any other site.

Oh and back on topic, Bulger is averaging 1 TD a game, not exactly stud numbers (especially when you consider he's played NO and SF), and especially with the recieving crew he's got. I'll admit the guys got talent, but untill he starts stepping it up another notch, he'll be nothing but average this year.
Fern
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:44 pm

I agree with Rohbshop on this. Bulger is everyones favorite whipping boy around here. What are you guys basing upside on when you say Carr has greater upside? Because he was drafted higher and might have more individual talent? Havent we learned by now that individual talent is fine, but situation determines production more than talent?

Give me the young QB who just signed a long term deal with one of the most offensive minded teams in the league.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rohbshop » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:50 pm

damn you people are defensive, do you work for this site? I used to use Fantasyguru, its a paysite and used it for a few years, but realized i didnt really need it(still miss the how many times thrown to charts tho). However the advice and general knowledge of fantasy football on theyre forums from poster to poster was way better than here. I guess thats what comes with people that take fantasy more seriously and probably play for money, than those who do it for fun or whatever like on the free sites. I doubt many people who dont take it too seriously will pay money for a site, and will probably flock to the free sites, then pretend to know the ins and outs. No offense, i'm just stating a fact, and it probably has more to do with it being a free site than anything else, your just going to get more clueless opinions.

Bottomline, keep this thread bumped until the end of the year, and lets see who the better QB is....just wish we could put our money where our mouth is.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Fern » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:17 pm

Okay, maybe I did go off the hook a little. I just get erked by people who complain about something thats free. I mean what do you expect really? Anyone can post here so you have to be weary of anything people say, but like I said there's plenty of good info here as well. I think part of the problem is all the people posting in the wrong forums/dumb questions, pushing the good info off the front pages.

Back on topic though, I guess I didn't state it in my original post. I would take Bulger over Carr, but the guys gotta start throwing more TD's, he has Holt and Bruce and still hes only thrown one TD a game, not a good start.
Fern
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:19 pm

First of all, the questoin was not which guy would have the overall better fantasy numbers this year... The question was who has more upside... Which I define as potential... And I think that's Carr...

Secondly, I know loads of people that spend money on fantasy sites precisely for the reason that they don't know much about what they're doing, but got involved in a league at work or something and feel they need to pay top dollar for what they think is good advice... That's totally unnecessary when there are sites like this populated by people that have a passion for the hobby, and spend LOTS of time researching things... Yes, there are lots of folks here who do not necessarily know what they are talking about (particularly in some of the other forums), but if you're here a while, you will quickly recognize who the regulars and serious fantasy enthusiasts who know what they are talking about are, and who are the newbies that just signed up, and don't really have a clue... (That's not to say that every newbie is clueless, but rather that most regulars are not)...

Besides that, I've been involved in many free sites and many pay sites, and I can tell you from personal experience that the advice on the cafe is usually heads and shoulders above what you will find on any paysite (including FantasyGuru), and usually far better than the advice you get from the so-called experts that actually get paid to do this on CBSSportsline, ESPN, etc....

But the long and the short of it is this:

If you don't like the advice, don't follow it... You obviously view yourself as something of a fantasy guru, and probably don't want any part of someone else's opinion, anyway... But there are people here that actually do enjoy discussing other people's opinions, and seeking input from others no matter how good we have become at this hobby.... And that's what makes the cafe so much fun... The exchange of ideas....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk