how to explain to this guy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

how to explain to this guy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:59 pm

portisfan24 wrote: I dont know how you can say that at any point santana/fred is worth less than moss.

Frankly, I always prefer to trade two average guys for a stud. You surf the waiver wire, market your guys, then when they've had a breakout week... BAM, some sucker falls for it.

You're just asking the other guy to be a sucker.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:31 am

I think that trade might have looked close at the beginning of the season, but your team is struggling because of these guys. You are trying to sell them when they are are underachieving for an elite WR performing in his prime.

If you are going to trade them, your best candidate would be another underperforming player. The Portis owner might look at that trade. Duece could be back soon, Taylor for Duece (or Dominick) is a gamble that could pay off. You will have a hell of a time trading away the players who are holding your team back for the players that are leading other teams to victory.

Santana Moss was considered just outside the top 6 WR, probably near the top of the next group of WRs. Taylor was about the 9th to 12th RB drafted in most leagues. I personally prefer to get the best player in the deal, so I would almost always want the Randy side.

To be truthful, I still have faith in Santana Moss. I would trade Taylor to some unaware owner who hasn't realized Jones and Toefield are sucking his value down. I think Moss will still contribute some nice games.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby awwchrist » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:51 am

In a 4 team league you had better pay the man for Randy.

That's all I gotta say.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mad benjamin » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:37 am

I guess any deal I would so eagerly offer I may see as being better for me to begin with. Maybe a guy on the other end of such a deal will see it being better for you, too, and be hesitant to do it.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FF Newbie » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:17 am

How to explain it? Tell him fantasy football is like golf, the lower the score, the better.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:33 am

yea, I am begginign to think just treating randy moss as if he were a running back is the way to go. he gets similar yardage and touchdown totals...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:40 am

Aristotle wrote:Fair enough.

Ok for arguments sake let us say that S. Moss and F. Taylor combined will score you 20 points. Let's say that R. Moss also scores you 20 points.

So I'm using two slots to achieve those 20 points, while in the other situation I'm using one slot to gain the same 20 points.

Why would I make this trade (throwing out depth and injury problems)?

After all I can always just plug in any random WR in that extra slot that I have, to gain an extra few points. That total will be obviously be higher than the 20 points gained by the F. Taylor and S. Moss owner.

Bingo.... Well said, Aristotle... You saved me some typing, there...

;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:43 am

portisfan24 wrote:haha undefeated that deal was plausible ages ago. Its no good anymore. and this is actually a 4 team league so the teams are stacked. I know I know a 4 team league should be easy but its not. Its kind of like should I start fred taylor or kevan barlow? so its a lot different froom other leagues. but ya I am going to go for someone else. thanks anyways though guys.

A four team league is all about luck... The larger the league, the more skill that's involved, because teams have weak spots, and need to start waiver wire fodder at just the right times in order to get points out of them... In a four teamer, every player on all the rosters is good, and it's all just a matter of who has a good game on what week... There isn't much skill involved at all... But, consistency is the key, and it doesn't get much more consistent than Randy Moss... In a four teamer, the only people I would give you Moss for are:

Priest
LT2
Ahman
Alexander
Edge

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Count_Rugen » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:29 am

Aristotle posted correctly above what I was about to post. heh

Solid FF strategy, even assuming the two you offered were worth Moss. If a "fair trade" involves two for one, the one gaining the single player is the one walking away with the better deal.

Nuff said.
Period.
End of story, no sequel in sight.
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby DaChiefs » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:04 am

FF Newbie wrote:How to explain it? Tell him fantasy football is like golf, the lower the score, the better.

haha ya, looks like the only way you could pull that trade off. ;-D
DaChiefs Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk