Moderator: Football Moderators

TSN Predictions.

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:40 am

AFC EAST
1. Dolphins
2. Patriots
3. Bills
4. Jets

Outlook: Miami has improved an already excellent defense by adding linebacker Junior Seau, safety Sammy Knight and tackle Jeff Zgonina. New England added pass-rushing linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, but there are concerns about the running game. Buffalo has improved its defense, but Josh Reed must prove he's a capable No. 2 receiver. The Jets lost too many key players.

AFC NORTH
1. Steelers
2. Ravens
3. Browns
4. Bengals

Outlook: Pittsburgh's shaky pass defense should get a boost from safety Troy Polamalu, the team's first-round pick. Baltimore has concerns at quarterback, but its strong defense has gotten stronger. A possible quarterback controversy, suspect linebackers and a weakened secondary mean Cleveland won't return to the playoffs. Marvin Lewis has Cincinnati going in the right direction, but it will take time.

AFC SOUTH
1. Colts
2. Titans
3. Jaguars
4. Texans

Outlook: The Titans got worse, thanks to losing linebacker Randall Godfrey, defensive linemen John Thornton and Henry Ford and cornerbacks Donald Mitchell and Dainon Sidney. The Colts got younger and more athletic on defense and should be more consistent in coach Tony Dungy's Cover 2 scheme.

Depending on the health of quarterback Mark Brunell and running back Fred Taylor, the Jaguars could go 10-6 or 6-10. Few teams made more upgrades on defense. The Texans should be improved with the addition of rookie receiver Andre Johnson, who provides a vertical threat.

AFC WEST
1. Raiders
2. Chiefs
3. Broncos
4. Chargers

Outlook: Oakland is aging, but cornerbacks Phillip Buchanon and Charles Woodson are healthy. That means the Raiders can play more aggressive blitz schemes in front of their man coverage. Kansas City will be more athletic on defense, but can Priest Holmes stay healthy?

In Denver, Jake Plummer will have the supporting cast he never had in Arizona, but the defense is not up to par. The Chargers will be more explosive on offense with receiver David Boston, but their cornerbacks and linebackers are inexperienced.

NFC EAST
1. Eagles
2. Giants
3. Redskins
4. Cowboys

Outlook: The Eagles have taken a step backward because of special teams losses, but they still are the class of the division, thanks to their attacking man-to-man defense. The Giants have bridged much of the gap, though.

In Washington, coach Steve Spurrier got the upgrades he needed on offense. It always seems to take two seasons for Bill Parcells to turn around a franchise, and it doesn't look like that process will go faster in Dallas.

NFC NORTH
1. Packers
2. Vikings
3. Lions
4. Bears

Outlook: With Brett Favre, a maturing receiving unit and a healthy offensive line, the Pack again will lead the way. The Vikings, who addressed defensive needs, should build on last season's finish. The 1-2 punch of quarterback Joey Harrington and receiver Charles Rogers will make for a more balanced offense in Detroit.

The Bears are not very talented. Kordell Stewart is a marginal starting quarterback, their offensive line is decimated, their receivers are under-achievers, and they have one of the worst groups of cornerbacks in the NFL.

NFC SOUTH
1. Falcons
2. Buccaneers
3. Saints
4. Panthers

Outlook: With Peerless Price at receiver, the Falcons can spread defenses vertically, making quarterback Michael Vick even more dangerous. The Falcons will take the regular season, but the Bucs will surge heading into the playoffs.

The Saints upgraded at left tackle (Wayne Gandy), tight end (Ernie Conwell), defensive tackle (Johnathan Sullivan), free safety (Tebucky Jones) and cornerback (Ashley Ambrose), but until quarterback Aaron Brooks proves his shoulder is healthy, they are an enigma. The Panthers' defense could be stifling, but quarterback Jake Delhomme needs time.

NFC WEST
1. Rams
2. Seahawks
3. 49ers
4. Cardinals

Outlook: With bookend tackles Orlando Pace and Kyle Turley, quarterback Kurt Warner and the Rams' offense are poised for a comeback. Under new defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, the Seahawks will be more aggressive. San Francisco doesn't have enough weapons to take double-teams away from receiver Terrell Owens. The Cardinals have no weapons at receiver and an offense built around aging running back Emmitt Smith.

PLAYOFFS
AFC wild cards: Kansas City and New England.
NFC wild cards: Tampa Bay and Seattle.
AFC championship: Oakland over New England.
NFC championship: Tampa Bay over St. Louis.
Super Bowl: Oakland over Tampa Bay.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:59 am

AFC east i'd switch the Bills and Pats

NFC east i'd switch the Eagles and Giants

NFC south i'd switch the Falcons and TB

Finally I like Steelers and TB for the SB
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:01 pm

My 2 cents?
Both The Chiefs and The Ravens are going to surprise some people this year.
Including TSN apparently.

Also - don't quite see Oakland going all the way through a VERY tuff AFC to the SB.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:09 pm

i still say the browns will suprise quite a few people this season...and thats fine by me. i'll just wait and see how many of these guys start jumpin on the Davis bandwagon around mid season....hehehe
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:42 pm

Hey! Timmmaaaay!
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:43 pm

Slowkidz wrote:i still say the browns will suprise quite a few people this season...and thats fine by me. i'll just wait and see how many of these guys start jumpin on the Davis bandwagon around mid season....hehehe

but they are the third worst team in madden 2004 ya know... :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cliff Harris » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:45 pm

Slowkidz wrote:i still say the browns will suprise quite a few people this season...and thats fine by me. i'll just wait and see how many of these guys start jumpin on the Davis bandwagon around mid season....hehehe

But you still don't particularly care for their WRs, correct?
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Slingblade » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:50 pm

what a load of BS you have found there GP :-t
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby slowkidz » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:46 pm

Cliff Harris wrote:

But you still don't particularly care for their WRs, correct?

i think they have the best WRBC in the NFL...on a fantasy perspective...the only one I would draft this year is Morgan...and thats still as a #3 WR...too much potential on the depth chart to pinpoint who the best WR will be this season.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:19 pm

I think the Jets and the Bengals should actually move up one spot. The Jets could make the playoffs and the Bengals will be improved (not enough for the playoffs though - let's not get crazy). If their receivers grow any this year - I think the Eagles could get to the Superbowl. I wish I could argue about the Bears but I don't see them being much better than last year. Boy I miss 2001!!!! I don't even want to think about '85!
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk