Return to General Talk

Way, Way, WAY Outta Control

Moderator: Football Moderators

Way, Way, WAY Outta Control

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:17 pm

No. 1 pick James may sign contract by Wednesday
SportsLine.com wire reports
CLEVELAND

LeBron James will soon be pocketing a few more million dollars.

James, selected with the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA Draft last week by the Cleveland Cavaliers, may sign his rookie contract with the club as soon as Wednesday, his agent said.

Based on the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, James' salary is already set for the first three years he's in the league. He can make as much as 20 percent more per season than last year's top pick, center Yao Ming, got from the Houston Rockets.

If the Cavaliers pay James the maximum over the length of the deal, he'll make $4.02 million, $4.32 million and $4.62 million over the next three seasons.
Cleveland would hold an option for the fourth season that could pay James another $5.8 million.

That's a nice chunk of change, even for an 18-year-old who has already signed endorsements deals worth more than $100 million and is expected to land more.

Reality check to David Stern, the NBA and Nike: LeBron James has not played a single game, not one second, in the NBA. Ever. Zero.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Roseman » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:23 pm

Not just that he hasnt played a second in the NBA but he hasnt even played a second on any level beyond High School.

He is 18 yrs old and has more money than he can handle I have a feeling this will become very ugly in the near future. No 18yr old can handle that kind of money

Hell I dont even think I could handle that kind of money and I think I have pretty stable head on my shoulders
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Homeless » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:44 pm

I just find it depressing.

Only way to stop it is to stop buying the products and going to the games.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:54 pm

Roseman wrote:He is 18 yrs old and has more money than he can handle I have a feeling this will become very ugly in the near future. No 18yr old can handle that kind of money.

Agree. 100%.

Considering that it takes most working Americans an entire adult lifetime to make $1M -
what, exactly, would be wrong with a flat $1M per year salary, for, say, the 1st 3 years?
Across the board. All positions. All sports.
Baseball, football, basketball and hockey.
Until you've actually proved what you're worth. Maybe more. Maybe less.
If less, you make out like a bandit.
If more, well hell. You still got more money than me and my college education will see in this lifetime.

It'll never happen. But, if it did, maybe you wouldn't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to take a family of 4 to a football game.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:06 pm

bah...the best seat for any sporting event is on my couch right in front of the tv! cant beat all the views and closeups that the tv crews bring!

i normally only see a live event if the tix are free and i'm not shelling out my life savings for one afternoon of "live" gameplay, only to be stuck up in the nosebleed section with Olga and Ollie, the fat swedish couple who can't understand why the stadium put in smaller seats this season..."I swear the seats keep getting smaller and smaller..." Newsflash dumbass, they haven't revamped this stadium for over 20yrs!! Do you really think they brought in smaller seats just to torment you?!?! Go back to your Jenny Craig Deal-A-Meal Weight Watcher classes and stop complaining about stupid stuff in public!!!!

<sigh> okay...sorry...i'm better now. :-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to General Talk