News Report: Lewis Suspended 2 Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

News Report: Lewis Suspended 2 Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Shock Wave » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:53 pm

Good thing I have good backups.
Shock Wave
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:07 pm

Why does JLEW get 2 games and O SMITH get 4 Games...How was that figured out?

BTW i have absolutely not been following this because i dont own either of these fools.... :-b
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 am

Slingblade wrote:BOOO...what bs...let the guy play...

The guy should be fired not suspended. I plead guilty to a felony charge and you think my boss would allow me to show up for work. The guy has admitted he used his phone, not that his phone was used, that HE used his phone in trying to obtain cocaine for the purpose of distribution.

Listen, I've done more than my fair share of illegal and somtimes just plain stupid things over my life. I don't care what you do as long as it is just you. You want to buy a key and snort the whole damn thing... fine by me. This guy was looking for keys of coke to be dealt on the streets. Why ... to help his punk friend. GARBAGE.

I believed this guy when he said he was innocent. I assumed it was his phone being used by his buddy while he was in the room or somthing along those lines. Now, he pleads out. Fire his ass. Go to jail, you piece of garbage, drug dealing felon!
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:09 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:Why does JLEW get 2 games and O SMITH get 4 Games...How was that figured out?

BTW i have absolutely not been following this because i dont own either of these fools.... :-b

i can't figure out why this one was so quick....he just plead out and bam, 2 games suspension. o smith's case took about as long as a viking draft pick,passed up a few games so he could play and all.

i dunno all the details so i guess i need to just stay quiet.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:12 am

what a pisser!
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby cbrowns » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:14 am

response to american psycho: just because the plea bargain allows the "facts" to be that he did not possess or intend to sell, that does not mean that is what actually happened. In fact, by the fact that there was a plea bargain, it is almost guaranteed that the press release is a fabrication. Nobody would plea, and then allow the media to hear what he actually did. It's a strange part of the american justice system that crimes can be reduced to something the perpetrator didn't even do. On an editorial note, this guy is a punk through and through, but a hell of a runner.
"60% of the time, it works all the time!"
cbrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby wooster » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:32 am

Why shouldn't he play, it was only drug conspiracy. Hell, double murderers are in the hall of fame.
wooster
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:44 am

Pete123444 wrote:
UNDEFEATED wrote:Why does JLEW get 2 games and O SMITH get 4 Games...How was that figured out?

i can't figure out why this one was so quick....he just plead out and bam, 2 games suspension. o smith's case took about as long as a viking draft pick,passed up a few games so he could play and all.

i dunno all the details so i guess i need to just stay quiet.

My understanding is that the plea and the suspension were carefully orchestrated by Lewis's attorneys. The League was kept apprised of the plea negotiations the entire time. Apparently, Lewis's lawyers made it very clear to the league that anything beyond a minimal suspension was going to be met with a lot of resistance, both by the union through internal NFL channels, but also by them through the courts. In the interest of avoiding a huge scandal, the current compromise was struck. Based on this, my guess is that Lewis doesn't appeal the suspension (just speculation).

The big winner is obviously Lewis, who gets to serve his sentence in the offseason and gets to miss minimal time during the season. The Ravens also come up big winners because they don't lose Lewis's services for too long (and they only lose Lewis for games against Buffalo and Philadelphia). Lewis in essence gets a midseason break and rests up for the Ravens' stretch run (notably, they have New England and Pittsburgh late in the season).

The real loser in my opinion is the NFL. They not ony have to wear the black eye of another drug scandal, but they also have to suffer the indignity of looking soft on this type of behavior. Let's face it, Lewis is a two-time offender of the NFL's drug program and is going to jail for a wholly separate drug-related offense, and all he gets is a 2-game suspension.

As for the argument that this entire ordeal transpired before he signed his first contract, Lewis was in a precarious position. He had been drafted and was subject to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. Because he enjoyed the benefits of that arrangement, he should also be made to suffer its penalties. Sure, he wasn't under contract, but that's the case with any free agent too. We certainly wouldn't think twice of a player being suspended by the league for a similar offense if he was in between teams.

All this said, Lewis is one of my favorite players. I hope he rebounds and stays out of trouble (which he was doing. Remember, this happened years ago).
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:00 am

2 games suspension and FOUR GAMES PAY i think its $75 Gs a game.

well i just calculated his yearly salary being $3.3 million and each game is supposed to be $206,250.00. WOW

i don't know where i got that number i was reading about it and i remember his yearly salary and per game i dont know how they came up with $75,000...whaterver
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:16 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:2 games suspension and FOUR GAMES PAY i think its $75 Gs a game.

well i just calculated his yearly salary being $3.3 million and each game is supposed to be $206,250.00. WOW

i don't know where i got that number i was reading about it and i remember his yearly salary and per game i dont know how they came up with $75,000...whaterver

I know, different sport, but how about Sammy Sosa getting docked a game check for Sunday's early exit -- $87,400.

And there are 162 games in baseball's season. 8-o
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk