News Report: Lewis Suspended 2 Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

News Report: Lewis Suspended 2 Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:34 am

Mikey wrote:
UNDEFEATED wrote:2 games suspension and FOUR GAMES PAY i think its $75 Gs a game.

well i just calculated his yearly salary being $3.3 million and each game is supposed to be $206,250.00. WOW

i don't know where i got that number i was reading about it and i remember his yearly salary and per game i dont know how they came up with $75,000...whaterver

I know, different sport, but how about Sammy Sosa getting docked a game check for Sunday's early exit -- $87,400.

And there are 162 games in baseball's season. 8-o

162 x 87400= $14,158,800 this guy makes buko-bucks
al
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby noyz » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:07 am

If you planned to deal drugs 4 years ago in college and got caught, is it right for you current job to suspend you from work, even if they have a strict drug policy? To me he didn't violate any NFL drug rule because he was not playing in the NFL at the time. The NFL should leave it alone and let the courts handle it which they did.
P. Rivers
J. Delhome

R. Bush
E. Grahm
M. Turner
M. Forte
R. Rice
K. Jones

T. Owens
R. Wayne
S. Smith

T. Gonzalez

Def. Matchup

Kicker not signed yet...

12 team league
noyz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:30 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:Why does JLEW get 2 games and O SMITH get 4 Games...How was that figured out?

Probably because Smith had the stuff flowing in his veins and Lewis was tapping a cell-phone keypad.

From what I've heard, this was a classic fed sting operation, using a female 'informant' who was trying to dodge some time of her own and got in tight with Lewis before asking him to hook up his buddy. All wrong stuff, to be sure. But the fact that Lewis hadn't yet signed an NFL contract could give his lawyers a full magazine of ammunition to fight this til hell freezes over.

My take: the two-game suspension is yet another plea bargain, wherein the NFL gets to save face and keep the lawyers out of its grill while Lewis gets off with a light midseason rap on knuckles.

No more bogus than letting Smith string his case out until the Vikings could get their No. 1 guy healthy (which sorta blew up after all).
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby AmericanPsycho » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:35 pm

cbrowns wrote:response to american psycho: just because the plea bargain allows the "facts" to be that he did not possess or intend to sell, that does not mean that is what actually happened. In fact, by the fact that there was a plea bargain, it is almost guaranteed that the press release is a fabrication. Nobody would plea, and then allow the media to hear what he actually did. It's a strange part of the american justice system that crimes can be reduced to something the perpetrator didn't even do. On an editorial note, this guy is a punk through and through, but a hell of a runner.

A plea bargain only happens when the defendent cooperates by admitting guilt to everything he is being charged for in exchange for a reduced sentence. A lot of times this includes ratting out other people. (Not saying that happened here but it very well could have) A plea bargain has nothing to do with the press and fabrication. They do a fine job of that without any outside help. You can believe what you want. It's all on tape.
AmericanPsycho
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pack Fan in HTown » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:09 pm

I have Lewis on my roster, with some capable backups. While this may have been before he played a snap in the NFL, I agree with the 2 game sentence. It's fair IMO. Do I think he deserves this, no not really. Because of the fact it was before he really was an NFL player, he shouldn't be held accountable for these actions by the league. However, I understand the league must be consistent with the rules and therefore I agree with their decision.
Bottom Line: He made a mistake 4 years ago and he's paying for it now.
Just like he said. I don't see him making another mistake like this again, he's a changed man and you can see that.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
Samual Jackson as Jules: Pulp Fiction

Pack Fan in HTown
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:58 pm

It's official -- two-game suspension starting with week #7.

Lewis Suspended Two Games:

Jamal Lewis has been suspended for two games without pay and fined an additional two weeks’ salary for violating the NFL Substance Abuse Policy, the NFL announced today.

Lewis pleaded guilty on Thursday in Atlanta to federal charges of using a telephone in June of 2000 to help facilitate the sale of cocaine to a co-defendant. Under the NFL’s Substance Abuse policy, a drug-related violation of law is grounds for league discipline.

The disciplinary action imposed by commissioner Paul Tagliabue will result in Lewis losing $761,000 in salary. Lewis has five days to appeal the decision. Under league rules, a suspension does not take effect until the appeals process has concluded. If Lewis declines to appeal, the suspension will begin on Thursday, October 14.

If he appeals, a hearing will be held at the NFL office in New York on Monday, October 18.

The Ravens follow up their Week 6 bye with games against Buffalo (Oct. 24) and Philadelphia (Oct. 31) -- both of which Lewis would miss.

The following are excerpts from Tagliabue’s letter to Lewis:

"The telephone conversation relating to the other individual’s possible purchase of drugs occurred on or about June 23, 2000. Although the underlying circumstances were known to the government almost immediately, you were not charged with any offense until February, 2004 -- nearly four years later. The conversation did, however, occur after you had been drafted, attended one or more Ravens’ mini-camps, and while your agent was in the process of negotiating an NFL contract for you."

"According to the court record, your specific offense involved one phone call to introduce a prospective seller of cocaine who had recently been introduced to you by others (and, who, unbeknownst to you, was an undercover government informant) to a prospective buyer of cocaine. The proposed sale was to be to your co-defendant, who you knew to be interested in purchasing cocaine."

"At no time did you possess, sell, attempt to possess or sell, finance, or offer to finance the distribution of cocaine or any other illegal drug. You did not request or expect to receive any money from any sale of cocaine. In fact, no drugs were ever bought or sold, whether by you or any other party to the proposed sale."

"None of this is meant to diminish the seriousness of your guilty plea to a federal felony. You have needlessly sullied your own reputation and reinforced unfair and negative public perceptions of NFL players generally. The consequences of your poor judgment include incarceration, suspension from the NFL, and the loss of $761,000 in salary. The longer term damage to your own reputation may well be even greater."

ESPN insider Chris Mortensen, appearing live on ESPNews moments ago, advised viewers that while Lewis isn't expected to appeal, he'll take the full five days allowed to inform the league of that decision.

That move ensures he'll play in Sunday night's game against the Redskins.
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ShoelessJoe » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:21 pm

noyz wrote:If you planned to deal drugs 4 years ago in college and got caught, is it right for you current job to suspend you from work, even if they have a strict drug policy? To me he didn't violate any NFL drug rule because he was not playing in the NFL at the time. The NFL should leave it alone and let the courts handle it which they did.

So you're basically saying that something he did four years ago when he wasn't in the NFL shouldn't matter to the NFL.

If you assume this then the inverse must be true as well, the NFL shouldn't matter to what he did four years ago and he shouldn't be allowed to wait until the off-season to serve his sentence.

It really makes you feel good to see everyone on a even legal playing field. Jamal can go to jail whenever he wants. Rafeal Furcal serves his time after he's done with the Braves' playoffs.

I wonder if John Doe gets to pick the time and date he serves his time for setting up a drug deal or for driving drunk underage....TWICE.

These athletes are getting by softly because they are athletes, therefore if the NFL doesn't punish them, no one will.
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk