Is Curtis Martin the real deal or what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Curtis Martin the real deal or what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Curtis Martin the real deal or what?

Postby Nobodies Business » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:40 am

I just made a HUGE deal in my league that included martin and Marvin Harrison.. Martin has been putting up monster numbers and has ALREADY surpassed his TD total of last season (Think it was 1 right? ;-) ) And Marvin Harrison has been under used in indi with stiff competition from Wayne and STOKLEY of all people.. And I just know they will continue to spread that ball around.. So did I make a good move dealing Harrison for Martin?? I think I did.. Plus you would had to have seen my WR situation... I had Harrison AND Hines Ward, with Jimmy Smith as my 3.. So I had depth..

PLUS there is a very good chance I'll be getting boldin for a bargain since he's hurt now and because the guy who has him also has Jamal Lewis and I beat him to Chester on the waivers ;-D ;-D .. So its lookin pretty good...

BUT ANYWAYS... what do you think of Martin and was it worth dropping Harrison?
Nobodies Business
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:46 am

For now... great deal. For now...

We'll have to see as the season progresses. He should've gotten a mediocre RB for it though... sounds like that guy bought too low. Is that the whole trade? Martin for Harrison?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nobodies Business » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:50 am

yep... its funny too because I was only going after Chris Brown, for like Testeverde and Jimmy Smith.. He actually made that offer, and I just couldnt pass that up..
Nobodies Business
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:08 am

I think it's a nice deal. Marv is great, but Manning is spreading the ball around quite a bit and shows no sign of slowing down that trend. Your depth at WR certainly helps. As for Curtis...I think Martin is very much the real deal. In any case, he's a starting running back with a great track record.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:24 am

looks to be good...maybe the other guy knows something that we don't know.

Martins running schedule looks to be easy besides the fact...that you could possibly be playing NeW england in the championship depending on your schedule...Patrioits are tough at the end of the season.

Marvin is marvin nothing to talk about here....
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:36 am

Barg you traded a top 3 reciever for a very old back. Curtis can be as good as he wants, for now, but if you belive he finishes the season with the workload hes been carrying youre crazy. I say he has 3 more productive weeks left.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nobodies Business » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:02 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:Barg you traded a top 3 reciever for a very old back. Curtis can be as good as he wants, for now, but if you belive he finishes the season with the workload hes been carrying youre crazy. I say he has 3 more productive weeks left.

I dont get your reasoning... What reason do you have to believe something will change in 3 weeks? I think Martin has just under achieved till this point in his career.. Sounds like warrentless nay saying..
Nobodies Business
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jblank » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:08 pm

Nobodies Business wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:Barg you traded a top 3 reciever for a very old back. Curtis can be as good as he wants, for now, but if you belive he finishes the season with the workload hes been carrying youre crazy. I say he has 3 more productive weeks left.

I dont get your reasoning... What reason do you have to believe something will change in 3 weeks? I think Martin has just under achieved till this point in his career.. Sounds like warrentless nay saying..

How many backs underachieve for 10 years, then all of the sudden become 2,000 yard rushers? Frankly, I dont believe he underachieved, he has had a great career, I think he is just a solid back, not an extraordinary one.

You may think he has spouting BS, but history is on his side. Typically, older backs tail off after they start off hot. Now, Martin may not, heck I own the guy so I definitely hope he doesnt, but lets be realistic here, he will not keep up this pace, and he probably is looking at 1200-1350 yards and maybe 7 TD's, which translates to a solid season. If you are looking for 1600+ and 10+ TD's, you are expecting way too much outta Martin.
jblank
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ODOGG » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:30 pm

so your claiming in 12 more games hes only gonna get 3 more touchdowns? i think martin will prove all haters wrong,,,he claimed 1500+ yards and 10+ td's in the offseason and so far hes backing up everyword of it.
ODOGG
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby DaChiefs » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:46 pm

ODOGG wrote:so your claiming in 12 more games hes only gonna get 3 more touchdowns? i think martin will prove all haters wrong,,,he claimed 1500+ yards and 10+ td's in the offseason and so far hes backing up everyword of it.

i think you made a bad trade. Harrison will put up top 5 reciever numbers again, while martin will fall back to the 15-20 rb range.
DaChiefs Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk