Is Curtis Martin the real deal or what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Curtis Martin the real deal or what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby rusty4481 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:58 pm

That is riduclous!!! Look at the offence that martin has around him he is gonna continue to be solid and he is gonna prove that this week in buff with a 110yd 2 td performance!! He is an absolute work hourse and has been so his whole career. Portis has missed more games in 2 season than martin has in 10!!
rusty4481
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ngub12 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:23 pm

i think the trade was pretty decent. manning has about 6 viable targets in the passing game and he does a good job of spreading the ball around. marv will still put up elite numbers this year, but as u said, you still have hines ward and u are hurting at RB.

this is why i think martin will continue his success. he plays in a dynamic offense that has to respect the pass with penni and those recievers.

my main argument is that you cant knock martin because of his age, he may be 31 but he has been used sparinlgy these past few seasons. the important thing to note is that he has not been used in goal line sets for the jets in recent seasons. i think herm has basically been preserving his career this way, because a back typically get the most beating at the goal line. now, herm realizes that martin is probably going to retire after this season or next , so he is just going to let the vet run wild in hopes to boost his stats for canton. herm is just that kind of coach. real nice guy.

okay, im not saying that martin is going to put up 1600 and 15 tds. but i dont think that 1300-1400 yds and 8-10 tds is realistic. basically pennington boosts martins value a lot. last year the guy had 1300 yds, he started out slow when vinny t was under center, but after that he proved to be very consistent when penni came back. with penni healthy this year, it really opens the door for martin. i even predicted this before the start of the season. i think its very easy to see.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jblank » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:32 pm

ODOGG wrote:so your claiming in 12 more games hes only gonna get 3 more touchdowns? i think martin will prove all haters wrong,,,he claimed 1500+ yards and 10+ td's in the offseason and so far hes backing up everyword of it.

Well, considering he went 16 games with 3, whats so crazy about my prediction? Look, I own the guy, got him and using him this week, but the combination of use and age, will catch up with him this season, the odds just say it will. Also, the total TD's I predicted was for Rushing only.
jblank
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby detroit_to_denver » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:45 pm

You bought really high on Martin and sold Harrison at his lowest point. :-t
detroit_to_denver
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:05 pm

detroit_to_denver wrote:You bought really high on Martin and sold Harrison at his lowest point. :-t

This is what I thought when I read it as well.

One thing that I like is the trade of a WR for a RB. That generally will always work in your favor. The problem I see is that Martin certainly does not have *more* potential as a running back where Harrison does have room to improve.

On the flip side, you have Hines Ward who is certainly playing at top level. I think I might have tried to unleash him instead, and possibly for someone a little younger and not exactly tearing it up (thinking like Fred Taylor).

But then again, I could be totally wrong...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby arrbez » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:25 pm

it's weird that people think time has passed martin by, considering the other guy in the trade is marvin harrison.

i'm sold on the jets this year. i think with the solid passing threat they have now, martin could quite concievably get the 1500 and 10 td. obviously i dont think he'll be scoring 2 td's a game, but i dont think there's anyone who thinks that anyways

as for harrison, i think he'll have decent TD totals, but i dont think he'll be in the top 5 in yards again. there's just too many weapons on the team. it's not that harrison is worse than he was 2 years ago, but spreading the ball around with wayne and stokely is winning them games

so, depending on your roster (of course), i think it's a good deal. if you already have good starting RB's it's probably a waste though
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby WatchMeDisappear » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:16 pm

jblank wrote:
Nobodies Business wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:Barg you traded a top 3 reciever for a very old back. Curtis can be as good as he wants, for now, but if you belive he finishes the season with the workload hes been carrying youre crazy. I say he has 3 more productive weeks left.

I dont get your reasoning... What reason do you have to believe something will change in 3 weeks? I think Martin has just under achieved till this point in his career.. Sounds like warrentless nay saying..

How many backs underachieve for 10 years, then all of the sudden become 2,000 yard rushers? Frankly, I dont believe he underachieved, he has had a great career, I think he is just a solid back, not an extraordinary one.

You may think he has spouting BS, but history is on his side. Typically, older backs tail off after they start off hot. Now, Martin may not, heck I own the guy so I definitely hope he doesnt, but lets be realistic here, he will not keep up this pace, and he probably is looking at 1200-1350 yards and maybe 7 TD's, which translates to a solid season. If you are looking for 1600+ and 10+ TD's, you are expecting way too much outta Martin.

How many Tds does Martin already have? Like 4 or 5 in 3 games?!?! Your saying that Martin will only get 2-3 more TDs in 13 more games? He would be underachieving the rest of the year if he only finished with 10 TDs.
WatchMeDisappear
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jblank » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:27 pm

Ok, well we will see, but as an owner of Martin, I am looking for a marked decrease in production after Week 8. Keep in mind, they have already had their bye.
jblank
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:40 pm

If you want some great insight into Curtis Martin and if he is for real or not, check out our current Great Debate, which talks exclusively about Martin and Tiki Barber and how "for real" they are. (We'd love to see your votes and opinions about the debate). Just go to:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=91483
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby rohbshop » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:34 pm

think about it this way, Manning IS spreading the ball around alot more this year, Wayne and Stokley are stepping up, and i guarantee you that means less production for Harrison. Definitely not like the years where he was the only WR Manning was throwing to and thats how some of the people in this thread are still ranking him. Things change. Going from the main and pretty much only target to having a QB spreading it around w/ alot more capable targets means less fantasy production, especially with Wayne coming out of his shell.

I think Martin looks great. I watched them play last week and Martin was getting every carry and was also being thrown to alot. He sure didnt look like some old has been, didnt look tired in the 2nd half either. Dont let other peoples gut feelings based on nothing influence you, you got a good deal. With Pennington back, the Jets look like a great offense again. Curtis is the focal point of that offense and one of the top fantasy backs in the league. People hold on way too much to previous years when alot can change year to year.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk