Could Droughns become the featured back? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could Droughns become the featured back?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could Droughns become the featured back?

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:13 am

Fanball-
With starting running back Quentin Griffin questionable due to an ankle sprain, the Broncos are ramping up both Reuben Droughns and rookie Tatum Bell in case one or both have to carry the load.

KFFL-
Struggling Denver Broncos RB Quentin Griffin (ankle) has a sprained left ankle and could not practice Wednesday, Oct. 6. He was, however, walking around fine without a protective boot and is expected to do some work during practice Thursday, Oct. 7. While Griffin was on the shelf, the team had RBs Tatum Bell and Garrison Hearst split action with the starting unit.

So what gives? There are many people out there who have been holding Bell, myself included, waiting for him to grab the job. Is anyone out there holding Droughns for the same reason?
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Birdman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:14 am

They will split carries.
Birdman Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:26 am

No, Droughns will not become a featured back.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets_ffc » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:48 am

from rotoworld:

Quentin Griffin, questionable with an ankle injury, will likely practice Friday.
He won't play if he doesn't. But all Denver coaches say they expect Griffin to play. Reporters in Denver expect Reuben Droughns to get significant work if Griffin can't play. Droughns is worth grabbing if Griffin doesn't practice today. Oct. 8 - 10:28 am et
One for the thumb...
Members Only Jackets_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:54 am

News: According to the Denver Post, Quentin Griffin did not practice on Thursday and is still up in the air for Week 5 against Carolina. Coach Mike Shanahan said his starting running back is 85 to 90 percent healthy and will likely practice today. The coach added if Griffin can't practice today he won't play Sunday. "We will get a chance to see what he can do. If he doesn't get a chance to go full speed (Friday), then obviously he won't go during the game."

Analysis: Sounds like Griffin will play in Week 5 unless he can't practice Friday. Be sure to monitor his status before activating him.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BeefSandwiches » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am

If Griffin doesn't practice today and, in turn, doesn't play Sunday, is Bell worth a flex spot?
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:57 am

Also found on cbssportsline:

LATEST NEWS

Reuben Droughns got eight carries for 20 yards in Week 4 at Tampa Bay.
(Updated 10/03/2004).

FANTASY ANALYSIS

Droughns was acting as the team's No. 2 running back with veteran Garrison Hearst (ankle) inactive and Tatum Bell (finger) not at 100 percent. He is not worth using in most Fantasy leagues
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:21 pm

I picked Bell up just in case
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rohbshop » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:44 pm

you never know. M. Anderson played FB and has gotten the call as featured back when others have gone down with injuries. Shanahan thinks alot of Droughans, and i dont think he thinks Tatum is ready from everythign i've read. He sure doesnt seem to praise Tatum nearly as much as he does Droughans or Griffin. Droughans is also a better threat than Tatum in terms of catching the ball and i'm sure has a better idea of the offense than Tatum does.

That said, i'm sure Shanahan would also like to see Bell get some real game carries to see what hes got at this point. I just doubt it'll be anything substantial unless he looks really good with his first few.
rohbshop
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby saundman2000 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:57 pm

Bah, Droughns might get a start, but by no means will he be featured for more than one game.

I saw an interesting article that told how Shanahan put a veteran in front of Portis for a while the same way he's putting Droughns in front of T.Bell for now.

Shanahan is grooming T.Bell for his eventual role: Featured Back.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner