"NEVER PICK A QB EARLY" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"NEVER PICK A QB EARLY"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby WHO DEY » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:03 pm

TheRock wrote:
I'm of the theory that once you pass the upper tier of RB's, you run into some question marks. Guys like DD, Barlow, Henry, Dillon, Taylor. Might be studs, might be duds. Better I say to get the guaranteed top performer like an elite WR or top QB instead of 2 questionable RBs. Seems to have worked for me so far anyway.

Rock,
I thought I typed that for a second there. That's exactly how I feel about the running back situation. I had the 10th pick in a 10 team league, I took Marvin as the 10th pick, Moss was already gone, and Daunte as the 11th pick. I've traded Marvin this season, but Daunte just posted 55 points for me and that's exactly why I used a second round pick for him.
WHO DEY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby core » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:11 pm

I grabbed Daunte in the 2nd round of both my leagues and continue to reap the benefits.

Only McNabb, Manning, and Culpepper are worth the highest of picks.
core
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:55 am

Manning is definitely helping me win my games, but I play in a league that rewards 3 pts passing TD and 6 pts rushing TD, so Culpepper and Vick went in the second, but I was able to pick Manning up at the beginning of the 4TH.... After I grabbed Edge, Taylor, and Bennett.... And I'm damn glad I did, too, b/c Edge is doing well, but Taylor is mediocre at best, and Bennett hasn't even touched a football, yet...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:15 am

I took LT at #2 overall, Culpepper at #23, and Tiki Barber at #26. Working good for me so far.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby minnystud04 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:19 am

In a 10 team league, I had the 10th & 11th picks, and went with the Manning/Edge combo. Now I get touchdowns for (almost) every Colts TD, which is about 5 per game. I think it is fine to draft a QB early as long as you have a plan and can draft well later on down the road. I haven't made any major trades, and you can see why I am 4-1!

QB- Manning
RB- Edge, Westbrook, Foster, K Jones, Rhodes, Bettis, Pittman, Zeroeue
WR- A. Johnson, J. Horn, Toomer
Te- Gates, Witten
K- Elam
D- NE
minnystud04
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jaabroonii » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:30 am

C-pepp was the 5th pick in my draft and everyone laughed at the manager for picking a qb so early...now hes the only one laughing.
jaabroonii
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mad benjamin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:37 am

I think if we all knew how things were going to turn out, we'd have all drafted differently. If that were the case, my draft may have went like this:

Culpepper
Owens
Barber
Staley
TJones
Martin
Bruce
CBrown
Wayne
Andre Johnson
Eric Johnson
Roy Williams
Akers
Falcons

You get the idea. If I drafted like that, I'd have been laughed out of the draft room, but I would be laughing now. I'll bet in most leagues, those players would have been available in those rounds, unless we're talking more than 14 teams.

Hindsight is only good for so much. I picked up Aaron Brooks in the 6th and was able to acquire Culpepper in a trade for him on the cheap. I guess all most of us can do with our "mistakes" is to try and patch them as best we can.
mad benjamin
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Shock Wave » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:39 am

Im in 3 leagues, 2 with friends and one public and own Culpepper in 2 outta 3 leagues both leagues I drafted him with my second pick. In the one public league I drafted Alexander with my first pick (I picked #5) and Culpepper with my 2nd pick, I really wanted a elite QB and somone drafted Manning early in the 2nd round so I figured i'd take Culpepper and since he and Alexander are pretty much winning me games I dont regret it for a second. And the other I drafted Tomlinson first (#2 draft position) and of course got Culpepper again.
Shock Wave
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BigMusky » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:40 am

no way Culpepper keeps averaging almot 100 yards more per game then he did last year.

scary part is he only has two games that are not in a dome the rest of the fantasy season.

at Chicago and at Greenbay.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby purestrength » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:45 am

The thing is, as great as Culpepper has been and will continue to be, I bet Manning ends up with even better numbers at the end of the year.

Both may top 40 TD passes and come close to Marino's record.
purestrength
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk